[unix-pc.general] Floppy Drive on a 3B1 seems dead

lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) (09/11/89)

While performing a complete backup on my 3B1 (3.51, 67 MB, 2 megs),
the floppy drive stopped recognizing my disks.  Neither cpio or tar
or the diagnostics floppy manages to get a response from the
floppy drive.

Is there any known fix besides replacing the drive?  What models
can be used as replacements?

Any suggestions or comments from similar experiences would be
appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Len Jacobs
lj@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (09/12/89)

In article <4565@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) writes:

> Is there any known fix besides replacing the drive?  What models
> can be used as replacements?

The drive appears to be a standard, vanilla DSDD-type drive that would
be used in an IBM PC/XT (360K). You can pick one up for about $70.
That's what mine cost. You might check the cables first.
    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

mal@PacBell.COM (Martin A. Lodahl) (09/12/89)

In article <4565@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) writes:

>While performing a complete backup on my 3B1 (3.51, 67 MB, 2 megs),
>the floppy drive stopped recognizing my disks ...

Please don't get as angry at this suggestion as I did when it was made
to me.  My circumstances were identical, and when I called a more pc-oriented
(my background is all in machines that seldom use floppies) friend for
advice, he asked me when I'd last cleaned the drive ....

One tantrum, a $7 cleaning kit from Radio Shark, and a couple of cleanings
later, I was back in business.  No trouble since.
--
= Martin Anders Lodahl       Pac*Bell Minicomputer Ops Support Staff =
= {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!mal     916/972-4821 =

lii@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (louis.i.ingwersen) (09/12/89)

In article <4565@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) writes:

>While performing a complete backup on my 3B1 (3.51, 67 MB, 2 megs),
>the floppy drive stopped recognizing my disks.
>
>Is there any known fix besides replacing the drive?  What models
>can be used as replacements?

I replaced my old 5 1/4" floppy drive with a TEAC FD-35FN 3 1/2"
800 K formated floppy disk.  It works pretty good for me.  You
just can't use the floppy disks with a data transfer speed of
500 K-bits/sec.  It must be 250 K-bits/sec. for a direct replacement.

				Lou Ingwersen IH-6K-330  ihlpf!lii
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

upl@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Future Unix Gurus) (09/13/89)

In article <3531@zygot.ati.com> john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:
>The drive appears to be a standard, vanilla DSDD-type drive that would
>be used in an IBM PC/XT (360K). You can pick one up for about $70.
>That's what mine cost. You might check the cables first.
>        John Higdon

I realize that this question is old, but how easy is it for someone to
replace the 360k 5.25" drive with a 720k 3.5" drive.  I've already found
a drive source that will sell me the drive.  I want to know the steps to
installing this thing.

	A)  is there a particular "kind" of drive that I have to get
	    (i.e. XT compatible, AT compatible, etc)

	B)  is going to a 720k 3.5" drive just a simple procedure of
	    unplug one and plug in the other (I suspect not) if not
	    what do I have to do?  What's that going to cost?

	C)  those of you who have done this, please answer any other
	    questions that I haven't thought of, but you would answer
	    based on your experience of trying and/or succeeding at
	    this upgrade.

Thanks!!
- sparkie
p.s. please e-mail responses to the following address and not to
     the one listed above:
\___\| __/|   || _ /|   < | || _[  	sparkie@uhura.cs.wisc.edu