[net.dcom] Phone line problem and modem

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) (08/07/86)

I use a Multitech 224E modem to connect to our system from home at
2400 baud with group 3 MNP protocol.  This all worked fine until
recently when it mysteriously stopped working.  The modem works fine
on any other phone line, and also works fine at 1200 baud.  2400 is a
no go.  I measured the voltage on the phone line and it was only ~13 volts.
I thought that all phone lines are supposed to be 48 volts (all others
that I tested were).  Could this be causing the problem?  It works ok
(a bit noisy and low volume) for voice.

How would I go about getting NY Tel. to fix this?  They usually are unwilling
to listen to any problems dealing with data equipment.
--
Robert Berlinger
Systems Analyst

UUCP:       ...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!naftoli
Compuserve: 73047,741

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (08/09/86)

>How would I go about getting NY Tel. to fix this?  They usually are unwilling
>to listen to any problems dealing with data equipment.
>--
>Robert Berlinger

Ok, due to circumstances, different BOCs etc it's hard to say anything
that's absolutely true. I once found the following out from my local
phone co (AFTER MUCH PERSISTANCE):

You are right, if it is only a problem with data they start resisting
you. HOWEVER, that is because they fix voice problems for free.
After much persistance (I say again) I found out they would be "glad"
to come out and clean up any problems such as you mention (bring it
all up to spec) for (at the time) $150.

Like I said, the problem is that the general repair folks don't seem
to know about this. I think the way I finally got to the right people
is I called and asked about leasing a modem for my home. When I got
to that person (after a few calls) I asked "what if my lines are too
noisy or something for the data", they told me about the above service
and gave me a phone # to call.

They also said if the problem was "out on the pole" they would repair
that for no charge (I guess tho you are still stuck with the initial
fee as they did come out, I dunno, it turned out in the end it was
my modem after all.) The woman on the line was quite insistant that
"on the pole" it should all be of data quality as they might have
to support someone "on the same pole" (they love that phrase I guess)
who is a bona-fide data customer (business I suppose.)*

She also strongly suggested that I go down in the basement and unscrew
the terminators, clean them up so they shine, and screw it back together
as that (corrosion) is the problem 99% of the time. Check the voltage
down there at the origin if you can.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

* Obviously this may not be at all true outside of a major city.

In article <416@aecom.UUCP>, naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) writes:
> I use a Multitech 224E modem to connect to our system from home at
> 2400 baud with group 3 MNP protocol.  This all worked fine until
> recently when it mysteriously stopped working.  The modem works fine
> on any other phone line, and also works fine at 1200 baud.  2400 is a
> no go.  I measured the voltage on the phone line and it was only ~13 volts.
> I thought that all phone lines are supposed to be 48 volts (all others
> that I tested were).  Could this be causing the problem?  It works ok
> (a bit noisy and low volume) for voice.

	I am assuming that you measured ~13 volts when the telephone line was
on hook (idle)...
	Sounds to me that you no longer have a "physical" pair from your home
to the central office.  In some congested or rapid-growth areas telephone
companies adopt techniques to effect "pair gain".
	The most common technique is "added mainline carrier" (AML), which
allows one telephone line to serve more than one subscriber line.  The
simplest version allows one physical line to provide one additional carrier
line; the carrier line works by providing transmit and receive channels in
the frequency range of 25 to 100 kHz.  There is also a six channel version
of this technique which uses a somewhat larger bandwith.  In either of
these applications, a subscriber line carrier terminal is provided in the
subscriber premises.
	There is the older 1A Line Concentrator which uses an outdoor
pole-mounted "demultiplexer".  Transmission is not too bad on this type of
system since the multiplexing is "space division"; i.e., by means of a
crossbar switch, so there is no significant insertion loss or degredation
of transmission.
	There are newer digital multiplexing systems, which also use a
pole-mounted "demultiplexer".  I have no first hand experience with these,
but modem transmission impairment is a possibility anytime digital
sampling and analog reconstruction is used.
	In general, telephone companies use the above techniques for
low-traffic residential lines only (high-traffic business lines would
defeat the purpose of this "statistical" multiplexing) - but anything is
possible.
	AML is BAD NEWS for any type of data transmission; the reason is
that the carrier frequencies are determined solely by L-C networks, and
the circuitry can readily drift creating all sorts of transmission anomalies.
An AML line (like Superior-Continental equipment) would present between 6 and
14 volts to the local subscriber loop - so it sounds like this is what you
have.  I believe the 1A Line Concentrator presents 24 volts; I am not certain
what the digital "SLC" units present as a local loop voltage.

> How would I go about getting NY Tel. to fix this?  They usually are unwilling
> to listen to any problems dealing with data equipment.

	Sorry, but you gotta problem if all you are paying for is residential
service.  You could _try_ to talk the telephone company into giving you a
metallic pair, but they are not obligated to do so.  Your only guaranteed
solution is to request a business line with the specific representation that
it will be used for data transmission.  This will cost you more money, but
the charge won't really be absurd if you are making serious use of data
transmission.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231                {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo}!/
==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (08/13/86)

If your modem line is noisy when you try to use it for voice, call
the phone company and complain.  You have a right to normal volume
voice calls with no noise.  Don't mention the modem.
--
Keith Petersen