[unix-pc.general] 3b1/7300 and NetHack3.4

erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) (10/01/89)

Well, it seems 3.4 has finally outgrown the 3b1.  Even in super-stupid
mode, my machine wouldn't compile w/out givng a 'too many defines'
error.
If you've gotten it to run on a stock 3b1, let me know how, puhleeze?
For my curiosity's sake...

I'm running gcc1.35 on it right now, so we'll see how *that* does. :-)
--
"All MIDI has done, in my estimation, is empower a whole new generation
of Drekmeisters." -- Todd Rundgren

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (10/02/89)

In article <2445@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

|>Well, it seems 3.4 has finally outgrown the 3b1.  Even in super-stupid
|>mode, my machine wouldn't compile w/out givng a 'too many defines'
|>error.
|>If you've gotten it to run on a stock 3b1, let me know how, puhleeze?
|>For my curiosity's sake...
|>
|>I'm running gcc1.35 on it right now, so we'll see how *that* does. :-)

You can get away using the gnu-cpp (preprocessor) in place of the UNIX pc
stock preprocessor without any hassles, I believe.  That will stop the
problem of the "too many defines" message in the UNIX pc cpp.   Gcc is
nice, but the compiler is quite large which will take nethack much
longer to compile, and it already takes a long time!!

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      [w] +1 (516) 589-7930 |
| lenny@icus.islp.ny.us     Telex; 154232428 ICUS      [h] +1 (516) 968-8576 |

kevin@cfctech.UUCP (Kevin Darcy) (10/05/89)

In article <2445@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>Well, it seems 3.4 has finally outgrown the 3b1.  Even in super-stupid
>mode, my machine wouldn't compile w/out givng a 'too many defines'
>error.
>If you've gotten it to run on a stock 3b1, let me know how, puhleeze?
>For my curiosity's sake...

The 'too much defining' message (which is what I assume you mean, since that's
the message we got) means that the preprocessor is overflowing its symbol
space, which is not hard to do with Nethack.  I first saw the problem on a 3B2
at work when we started installing NH 3.0, and we fixed it on that machine by
getting our hands on a more robust version of the preprocessor.  Since I
couldn't get this for my 3B1 at home, I gritted my teeth and #define'd
"STUPID_CPP".  Now that the developers have gone and pushed it over even this
limit, mon.c and lev_comp.y now sing that old irritating song "too much
defining", and more kludges are necessary.  A relatively painless (and tested,
by yours truly) workaround is to comment out or delete the inclusion of
"artifact.h" in mon.c (they go to the trouble of explicitly #include'ing that
file, and then don't use it), and to #define GOLD_H in lev_comp.y, which has
the effect of blocking that include file, and all of its unnecessary #define's.
Then sit back and make.  No muss, no fuss... at least until the next patch
level :-(

Opinions? What are those? I merely convey irrefutable truths...

 Kevin Darcy, Asst. Unix Systems Admin. | +1 313 948 4863
 kevin@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp. (THE BEST)
 kevin%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
 {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!kevin        | 27777 Franklin, Southfield, MI 48034