[unix-pc.general] Unix Pc Date/time

obrien@kcdev.UUCP (John Obrien x4089) (10/30/89)

I need some help.  My 7300 recently quit keeping date and time.
That is, when I do a shutdown and bring it back up again it's
Jan 1, 12:01 all over again.  Is this related to any program
malfunction or just a dead battery?  If it's the battery, how do
I change it?  I'm using 3.51.
While I have your attention perhaps someone would be interested
in my expeiriences of attaching an AT&T 7500S typewriter to the
7300/3B1.  I bought it shortly after buying my 7300, at the
company "sale" price of $299, with the intention of using it as
a letter quality printer.  Try as I might, and asking everyone
who might know how to do it, including the "hot line", I was
still unable to cable it as a printer.  BUT in the many and
futile attempts I suddenly found I was hooked up as a terminal
and once I established that I needed a non-screen oriented .profile
for the typewriter, I was able to log it on to the system and
once logged on I could 'cat' files to tty000 for letter quality
typeing and my problem was solved plus I had a terminal.  One of
the reasons for mentioning this is that there is now another 'sale'
of 7500S's for AT&T employee's for the same price $299.  Now
$299 was not to bad for this machine 2-3 years ago, but I think it
is about twice as high as it should be for the current state-of-art.
So write or call the sales center and tell them what you think of
their 'sales'.  Frankly most of the employee sales can be bettered
on the open market.

jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan) (10/30/89)

In article <912@kcdev.UUCP> obrien@kcdev.UUCP (John Obrien x4089) writes:

>I need some help.  My 7300 recently quit keeping date and time.
>That is, when I do a shutdown and bring it back up again it's
>Jan 1, 12:01 all over again.  Is this related to any program
>malfunction or just a dead battery?  If it's the battery, how do
> I change it?  I'm using 3.51.

It's the battery.  (I'm sure Lenny, Gil, Thad or someone else who's
archived the instructions can E-mail them to you.)

Note that the KERNEL would be happy to resume time from the
date of the last ROOTDEV update -- i.e., the time the machine was
last taken down.  The line 'date -' in /etc/rc overrides this.

_I_ view this as a design defect in date(1): 'date' can easily
identify the clock battery's dead and that clock shouldn't be
used for updating the time.

If you know your battery's dead, I'd recommend commenting out that
'date -' line until you've replaced the battery.  When you forget
to set the date on boot, it is better to have your files sequentially
dated -- but a day or two off -- than to have them ridiculously
dated in mixed order.

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm

res@cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert E. Stampfli) (10/31/89)

>>I need some help.  My 7300 recently quit keeping date and time.
>>That is, when I do a shutdown and bring it back up again it's
>>Jan 1, 12:01 all over again.  Is this related to any program
>>malfunction or just a dead battery?  If it's the battery, how do
>> I change it?  I'm using 3.51.
>
>It's the battery.  (I'm sure Lenny, Gil, Thad or someone else who's
>archived the instructions can E-mail them to you.)

I am not so sure.  I have a 7300 which has had a dead battery since the day
it arrived.  It has never lost its clock on a shutdown and reboot unless the
power was removed for more than a few seconds.  Maybe the original poster did
not make himself clear, but I took the posting to imply that the power was
not necessarily interrrupted.  If this is true, it could indicate a defective
clock calendar chip.  I would suggest running the diagnostic disk part that
specifically checks this component.

BTW, thanks for the info on commenting out the "date -" entry.  I will have
to give that a try.  (Actually, I have a replacement lithium cell, but just
have not had any better reason to remove the motherboard and work on it.  I
view the lack of a battery backed-up clock is an annoyance, but a minor one.)

--
Rob Stampfli
att!cbnews!res (work)