[unix-pc.general] Unix on PC and AMI bios

greenstr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Roland Greenstreet) (11/08/89)

I have two questions :-

1.  Is there a FULL unix system avaliable for the pc ( 386DX machine)
    which is simualar to Berkley unix on the Sun systems? If so I would
    appreciate any remarks on it and where it is available from , UK
    outlet if possible.

2.  I have been using the Phonix bios in my machine for a few years without
    any compatability problems. I am about to buy a new motherboard with an
    AMI bios. Has anybody come accross any problems with the AMI bios? Is it
    better than the Phonix? and can the AMI bios be replaced , if I don't like
    it , with the Phonix directly?

Thanks in advance for your comments

R.J.Greenstreet

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (11/09/89)

greenstr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Roland Greenstreet) writes:
>1.  Is there a FULL unix system avaliable for the pc ( 386DX machine)
>    which is simualar to Berkley unix on the Sun systems? If so I would
>    appreciate any remarks on it and where it is available from , UK
>    outlet if possible.

Yes, it's SunOS.  Currently you cannot get SunOS except for the 386i,
so it's probably not useful to you.  SysVR4 will be much more BSDish
but will not be out for some time yet.  I hear talk of a BSD 386 port
and a Mach port, but so far as I know these are vaporware.

Currently System V is it for PCs, which is too bad.

>2.  I have been using the Phonix bios in my machine for a few years without
>    any compatability problems. I am about to buy a new motherboard with an
>    AMI bios. Has anybody come accross any problems with the AMI bios?

I had it in my machine and it worked fine.  I'm not a good test,
though, since all the BIOS was used for was to boot UNIX.

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd@std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) (11/10/89)

greenstr@cst.prl.philips.nl (Roland Greenstreet) writes:
>I have two questions :-
>1.  Is there a FULL unix system avaliable for the pc ( 386DX machine)
>    which is simualar to Berkley unix on the Sun systems? If so I would
>    appreciate any remarks on it and where it is available from , UK
>    outlet if possible.
>2.  I have been using the Phonix bios in my machine for a few years without
>    any compatability problems. I am about to buy a new motherboard with an
>    AMI bios. Has anybody come accross any problems with the AMI bios? Is it
>    better than the Phonix? and can the AMI bios be replaced , if I don't like
>    it , with the Phonix directly?
>Thanks in advance for your comments
>R.J.Greenstreet
-
-
I'm not enough of a UN*X whiz to answer the first.  To the second,
though, if you want to run UN*X then you are best to stay with Phoenix
BIOS.  I'm told that you can't run it with AMI or Award.  We
(Convergent/Unisys) remove the Award BIOS from the CPUs we buy and
replace them with Phoenix for this reason.

"		I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night, alive as you and me.
		Said I, 'But Joe, you're ten years dead.'
		'I never died' said he.										"

Jerry		( jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM )
-----