[unix-pc.general] Moire for the UNIX PC

motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) (10/26/89)

Tom Tkacik's moire program, posted in unix-pc.sources, is a lot of
fun.  I especially like being able to resize on the fly.  You can
start it up with nice, so it doesn't consume too much resource, and
just leave it in a background window...

Now, if I can just figure out why Karl's "Life" is core dumping on me,
I can really burn up those spare cycles!

--
Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

res@cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert E. Stampfli) (10/27/89)

>Tom Tkacik's moire program, posted in unix-pc.sources, is a lot of
>fun.  I especially like being able to resize on the fly.  You can
>start it up with nice, so it doesn't consume too much resource, and
>just leave it in a background window...

Not to mention that my two cats, who had never up until this point paid one
whit of attention to my UNIX-PC, absolutely freaked out when they saw this.
Now, after I convinced them that "it" is relatively harmless, they will sit
and watch it for hours.

Rob Stampfli
att!cbnews!res (work)
osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu!n8emr!kd8wk!res (home)

karl@zip.UUCP (Karl F. Fox) (10/27/89)

In article <2449@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
>Tom Tkacik's moire program, posted in unix-pc.sources, is a lot of
>fun.  I especially like being able to resize on the fly.  You can
>start it up with nice, so it doesn't consume too much resource, and
>just leave it in a background window...
>
>Now, if I can just figure out why Karl's "Life" is core dumping on me,
>I can really burn up those spare cycles!

I'll probably have a patch by tomorrow.  I think I've got it, but I want
to make sure.  Wouldn't you know, it didn't core dump for me until after
I posted it.

BTW, I missed the moire posting.  Could some kind (nearby) soul offer to
send it to me?  Thanks!
--
Karl F. Fox, Morning Star Technologies, Inc.               karl@MorningStar.COM

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (10/29/89)

In article <1989Oct27.012604.6438@zip.UUCP> karl@zip.UUCP (Karl F. Fox) writes:

>BTW, I missed the moire posting.  Could some kind (nearby) soul offer to
>send it to me?  Thanks!

Mee tooo!!

Thanks in advance...

tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) (11/10/89)

In article <2449@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) writes:
>Tom Tkacik's moire program, posted in unix-pc.sources, is a lot of
>fun.  I especially like being able to resize on the fly.  You can
>start it up with nice, so it doesn't consume too much resource, and
>just leave it in a background window...

I am glag you like it.

I had seven copies of moire running, and watched Lenny's sysinfo program
as it showed the load average reach 6.5.  It was interesting to watch
the scheduler as it decided which copy to run next.  Things got very jerky.
Of coarse I was not able to do much else at the time :-).

Has anyone ever seen a higher load average?
How high can it go and still let you work interactively?
Thanks Lenny, sysinfo is a great program.
--
Tom Tkacik		GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090
uunet!edsews!rphroy!megatron!tkacik		Work Ph: (313)986-1442