[unix-pc.general] Is there word processing software for UNIX PC ??

kwmc@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (ken.cochran) (11/10/89)

The UNIX PC has a number of keys (left side of the keyboard) which
look ideal for word processing, however, apart from vi/ed/mm which is
not really word processing, or some MS-DOs/DOS73 word processor, I am
unaware of any word processing package for the UNIX PC.

Is there such a package ? under unix, and if so would some kind person
be willing to help me get it and documentation ?

Thanks,  Ken Cochran     att!mtdca!kwmc

P.S. BONUS QUESTION
	does anyone know what a UNIX-PC is  ... is it a 3b1 or a 7300 ?

arb@PacBell.COM (Rick Bladek) (11/11/89)

In article <2200@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> kwmc@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (ken.cochran) writes:
>The UNIX PC has a number of keys (left side of the keyboard) which
>look ideal for word processing, however, apart from vi/ed/mm which is
>not really word processing, or some MS-DOs/DOS73 word processor, I am
>unaware of any word processing package for the UNIX PC.
>
>Is there such a package ? under unix, and if so would some kind person
>be willing to help me get it and documentation ?
>
>Thanks,  Ken Cochran     att!mtdca!kwmc
>
>P.S. BONUS QUESTION
>	does anyone know what a UNIX-PC is  ... is it a 3b1 or a 7300 ?

AT & T has an excellent word processor called the "AT & T UNIX PC
Model 7300 Word Processor" that utilizes the keys that you
mentioned. I purchased it in 1985 for $295. It includes drivers for
various printers and I use it with the ATT455 daisywheel letter
quality printer and the ADEUS 2000 daisywheel printer. I say I use
it, but it's my wife who has her own secretarial service who really
beats away at it on a daily basis. My wife has used various word
processors on IBM and MAC systems and says that she has never seen a
better one than the AT & T one.  The only problem was that it didn't
have a spelling checker, but I wrote one that interfaces with the spell
system in unix and it performs perfectly with it.

The user's manual has a com or order number of 999-805-1061S in the
upper right-hand corner. The user's manual is excellent also, and
my wife ( a novice at that time) didn't have any trouble understanding
the text at all. AT & T did a great job on it.

If I can shed any more light on the subject, I can be contacted at
the following numbers:

Rick Bladek - Pacific Bell (415)823-2444 San Ramon Valley Complex
              home         (408)225-5559

In regards to your BONUS QUESTION, I believe that "both" the 7300 and
3b1 are UNIX-PC's. The only difference being that the 3B1 has the
capacity for more ports, more memory and more hard-disk space.

rwright@novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) (11/11/89)

kwmc@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (ken.cochran) writes:

>The UNIX PC has a number of keys (left side of the keyboard) which
>look ideal for word processing, however, apart from vi/ed/mm which is
>not really word processing, or some MS-DOs/DOS73 word processor, I am
>unaware of any word processing package for the UNIX PC.

There is SMART which is apparently written by Innovative Software of
Lenexa, Kansas.  It is a great package, currently up to revision 3.10
which was released about 9 months ago.  Getting support is a little
odd because you end up talking with AT&T folk, as the contract which
Innovative has(had?) with AT&T provides no support.  The thing with
the best Spread sheet and graphics I have ever used plus an uneeded
communications package and a data-base manager program retails for
~$900 bucks.  Its idea of integrating with unix is weird though, as
it goes through a new login if left to its own devices.
Also, it cannot be the word processor for electronic mail, at least I
have never figured out how to make it work as it will not take a file
name.  It appears to have beeen written to UNIX from DOS.

>Is there such a package ? under unix, and if so would some kind person
>be willing to help me get it and documentation ?

Call Smart in Lenexa, Ks they will give you the name of someone to
sell it to you.

>P.S. BONUS QUESTION
>	does anyone know what a UNIX-PC is  ... is it a 3b1 or a 7300 ?

It appears that UNIX-PC, 3b1, 7300 and S4 are all synonamous.
Some folk distinguish the 3b1 and the 7300 on the bump in the case and
a bigger power supply.  Both can be switched for little $.
--
R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: medexam!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright

srh@docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) (11/12/89)

In article <2200@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> kwmc@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (ken.cochran) writes:
>The UNIX PC has a number of keys (left side of the keyboard) which
>look ideal for word processing, however, apart from vi/ed/mm which is
>not really word processing, or some MS-DOs/DOS73 word processor, I am
>unaware of any word processing package for the UNIX PC.
>
>Is there such a package ? under unix, and if so would some kind person
>be willing to help me get it and documentation ?

There is an AT&T Word Processor designed specifically for the UNIXPC, that
let's you use the mouse and windowing capabilities.  I don't like it
though--it's clunky, and as far as I know, it hasn't been updated since its
original release in 1985.  It does, however, let you use the extra keys on
the left side of the keyboard.

I have had excellent luck with Microsoft Word running under DOS-73.  It's
fully compatible, and gives you many typesetting capabilities (point size,
font, etc.) that the AT&T Word Processor won't do.  Also, as far as I have
tested, WordPerfect works under DOS-73.

Two points to consider, however.  1) You need at least a meg of RAM on your
UNIXPC, unless you want your MS-DOS word processor to run REALLY slow.
2) My DOS-73 has a habit of hanging up every half hour or so.  I don't
know if this is a general problem with DOS-73 or not.  MS Word always saves
a backup file, though, so you shouldn't lose much work if you save your
file regularly.

Steve

Steven R. Houser    The Document Workshop  |  "No man but a blockhead ever
uunet!osu-cis!n8emr!oink!docwrk!srh        |   wrote except for money."
CompuServe 76004,3212                      |                Samuel Johnson

srh@docwrk.UUCP (Steven R. Houser) (11/12/89)

In article <2200@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> kwmc@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (ken.cochran) writes:
>Is there such a package ? under unix, and if so would some kind person
>be willing to help me get it and documentation ?

Come to think of it, Microsoft Word has also been ported to run under UNIX
on the UNIXPC.  I've never tried it.  There is also the Smart word
processor (which come with integrated database & spreadsheet.

You can get these from TRC (1-800-433-4904).  At least they used to have
them.  Kinda pricey, though.

jimmy@icjapan.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (11/13/89)

In article <1605@novavax.UUCP> rwright@novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) writes:

>There is SMART which is apparently written by Innovative Software of
>Lenexa, Kansas.  It is a great package, currently up to revision 3.10

It's the one product for our lowly machine that AT&T actually supports
in the way of new software.  I was more than shocked when the offer
came through for a FREE upgrade to 3.1.

>Also, it cannot be the word processor for electronic mail, at least I
>have never figured out how to make it work as it will not take a file
>name.

Well, it can but you probably don't want it to.  First of all, it won't
take file names that begin with a '.' like mailx and mush use, so you
have to modify mush (most of us don't have the source to mailx) to use
a slightly different prefix on temp file names.  And to start Smart
with a file name, you must do something like
smartwp -aload filename

This I also accomplished in mush.  But then there is the problem that
you can not turn on word-wrap in ASCII mode so you must remember to hit
return at the end of each line.  And the fact that when Smart exits, it
leaves you with a full-screen, but bordered, window.

So, it _is_ possible, but unless someone only knows Smart, it is better
to use a real text editor for mail.

>It appears to have beeen written to UNIX from DOS.

Most definitely!

>Call Smart in Lenexa, Ks they will give you the name of someone to

It is sold only through AT&T and its dealers.  For a while the whole
package was selling for $250.  I believe it's now about $650.

By the way, I saw the DOS version (normally $695) for only $80 at an
Egghead Surplus Store, so I grabbed a few for my poor DOS-using
friends.  I can't resist a deal like that.  There is now a newer
version for DOS, but after registration of the $80 version, they
allow you to upgrade for just a few dollars more.
--
Jim Gottlieb 					Info Connections, Tokyo, Japan
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

cs255113@csusac.csus.edu (Dave Jenks) (11/13/89)

I was surprised to see the request for a word processor from some-
one at AT&T, since that's who put out the one I have.  It's
cleverly called "WORD PROCESSOR", and the part number on the disk-
ette labels is:  1032204-CDO2

I have version 2.0 running on my 7300 (3.51), and it has lots of
swell features.  Unfortunately, I only have 512k, so it's pig-slow,
like most things I try to run.  (I'm interested in at least another
.5 MB, if anyone knows where I can find it...)

`Virtual memory is no substitute for cold, hard RAM!'

					- author unknown

jet@flatline.UUCP (It's "Mr. Boyo" to you Dylan) (11/14/89)

In article <336@icjapan.uucp> denwa!jimmy@anes.ucla.edu (Jim Gottlieb) writes:
>[Smart]'s the one product for our lowly machine that AT&T actually supports
>in the way of new software.  I was more than shocked when the offer
>came through for a FREE upgrade to 3.1.

What?  When?  Where?  I don't have the manuals, but I have a set
of the "official" distribution floppies.. (Some office creep pirated
the floppies and took home the manuals...)

--
"lizards at lightning speed, surpise me all the time does no one respect
space rules?" -- the Sugarcubes