[unix-pc.general] 220Mhz vs Unix-pc

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (11/27/89)

In article <2261@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, lyman@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Peter T Lyman) writes:
> My unix-pc does a *power-on-reset* anytime I key my 220 Mhz handheld
> unit, (in the same room).  This does not happen with a 144 Mhz radio
> nor a 440 Mhz radio.
>
> Is there any body out there with the same/simular experience?

I have had the same experience with a 144MHz handheld, though it only happens
when the radio is within about three feet of the computer.  It appeared
(though I didn't want to experiment too many times trying it out :-)  that
the power supply was shutting down while the transmitter was being
keyed.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.

Re: the UNIXPC getting swamped by RF energy at 220 MHz and shutting down ..

My CONJECTURE is that other systems might also be affected.

The UNIXPC's power supply is sitting, from an RF perspective, right out in
the open since it's directly beneath the plastic cover with NO metal shielding
or other protection.

It's possible that spray-painting the underside of the UNIXPC's cover with
some conductive nickel-chromium paint and grounding the plastic cover "may"
alleviate the problem, but ...

Thad

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Again re: the problem of the UNIXPC shutting down in the presence of a
strong RF field ...

My CAR's electronics (1983 Ford Thunderbird) shut down whenever some cretin
"rubber ducky" splatters the airwaves with a (presumably) 1KW+ illegal linear
amplifier modified for the CB bands.  There'd always be 1-2 seconds of typical
CB banter coming through my FM radio just before the problem starts; as soon
as the #%$^@% drives on ahead, the problem would cease.

This has happened 3 times in 6 years, always in San Jose CA, and it was
obvious (to me) from the nature of the suspect vehicle (different each time)
that a scofflaw was loose and running amuck.

Wonder what happens to people using a PaceMaker or hearing aid if the excess
RF energy affects my CAR that way?

The problem causes all instruments in the dash to go crazy, the ignition to
stop igniting, and the radio to cease.  Usually lasts 2-4 seconds until the
offender gets out of range.  At times like those, one wishes for a bazooka
mounted on the fender!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]