[unix-pc.general] Submission for Unix-PC

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (03/18/88)

In article <8803141504.AA12525@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP writes:
>I'm in need of another mailer for my 3B1.  It pains me that I cannot
>even reply to a mail message with the mail program that came with the
>computer.  Anyone using a fave mailer that works great and dosen't take
>up much disk space?

With some effort, you may be able to track down mailx, which looks
like the Berzerkely mailer.  Since that's what I use at work (on
Suns), that's what I was hoping for.

But, before I found mailx, I found Elm.  I'm glad I found it first.
I'm still running 1.5, which I got off the archives at uunet, but
1.7 is available (too lazy to install it yet), and 2.0 may be
available soon.  It's a very nice mailer, sort of the rn of the
mailer world in some regards.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	decvax!formtek!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{floyd,pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)

root@zorch.UU.NET (Root) (05/13/88)

file D.uunetBC5125, system zorch
remote access to path/file denied

root@zorch.UU.NET (Root) (05/13/88)

file D.zorchXA5125, system zorch
remote access to path/file denied

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (05/17/88)

In article <8805121813.AA21153@zorch.UU.NET>, root@zorch.UU.NET (Root) writes:
> file D.uunetBC5125, system zorch
> remote access to path/file denied

I agree with the first statement, but isn't the second just
a bit defensive?

				GMS

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (05/17/88)

<
<I agree with the first statement, but isn't the second just
<a bit defensive?
<
<
<				GMS

I've been having some problems with my uunet connection here, and they
started right after I made a change to my unix-pc mailing list (the one
I run to send unix-pc.* newsgroups to people via mail).  The end result
is that these error messages are being propagated into unix-pc.general
as well as the mailboxes of everyone on the list.  I've been trying to
follow them with Cancel messages, but you know how that goes...

My apologies to everyone, and I'm trying to get things straightened out
with uunet.
--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott@zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott

cmv@ihlpm.ATT.COM (C M Votava) (05/25/88)

In article <8805231516.AA00342@eplrx7.UUCP> gatelist@zorch.UU.NET writes:

>The UNIX PC cannot support two drives.  Period.

Oops, this is not exactly true. From what little information I've been able
to gather, there was a field upgrade that Convergent *informally* had out
just before the unixpc was dropped, that would allow you to have two, and only
two hard disks attached to your machine. As far as I can guess, they did
some fancy magic with the hardware status bits that have one bit for the floppy
(0/1 for on/off) and one for the hard disk (0/1 for on or off) and hacked it
so it would work (0-0 for hard disk number 2).

>They have also developed a SCSI plug-in card for the 3b1.  I have had one
>for a month (I'm a beta site for them) and it works great.  In case anyone
>is interested their phone # is 302 731 1583.

This is a very nice piece of news, much appreciation for posting it. Is this
company going to market the card? Do they have a good number of drivers
written for it? What do you have running off of your card, and how well does
it work?

-Craig Votava

[ihnp4!]looney!cmv

root@zorch.UU.NET (Root) (06/08/88)

file D.uunetBC7335, system zorch
remote access to path/file denied

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (06/10/88)

Would whoever is responsible for the mess this forwarder is ejecting
please fix it.

There is no excuse for not putting together a simple script that
will transplant the Subject: line and discard all the redundant
header BS, etc.

Thanks.

In article <8806081716.AA01928@dalcs.UUCP> gatelist@zorch.UU.NET writes:
} Trouble sending mail on `iisat',  Wed Jun  8 14:03:09 1988
}
} ============ Transcript follows ============
} inews: Bad n option
}   "| /usr/lib/news/inews -p -n unix-pc.general"
} 0 alias errors
} 1 delivery errors
} 1 total errors
}
} ============== Message follows =============
} >From uunet!zorch!unix-pc  Wed Jun  8 14:03:04 1988 remote from dalcs
} From: dalcs!uunet!zorch!unix-pc
} Newsgroups: unix-pc.general
} Subject: Re: Compressed cpio to floppy: has anyone done this?
} Date: 7 Jun 88 19:47:32 GMT
} Sender: dalcs!spool.cs.wisc.edu!news
} To: dalcs!zorch.UU.NET!gatelist
}
} [...]

--
Richard Foulk		...{vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (06/11/88)

In article <4065@islenet.UUCP> richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Would whoever is responsible for the mess this forwarder is ejecting
>please fix it.

It's fixed.

>There is no excuse for not putting together a simple script that
>will transplant the Subject: line and discard all the redundant
>header BS, etc.

Unfortunately, most of this stuff coming through is messages sent *out*
from zorch to the unix-pc redistribution mailing list that get bounced
in the mails...  I suppose that after another dozen iterations I could
write a script that would catch all the various permutations.  I'm not
up to that timewise, so I've simply decided to moderate the gateway in
both directions to cut out all the cruft that's been getting through.

>Thanks.

My apologies for all the garbage, it should be cut down now.

--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott@zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (01/10/89)

(Please repost this ad:-)

UNIX pc's and 3B1's For Sale:

We have a number of NEW ATT 7300 UNIX pc's and slightly used 3B1's for sale.
The new units are in factory sealed containers.

The 7300's are equipped with 1 Meg DRAM, 20 Mb hard drives and the
standard equipment of built-in monitor, keyboard, mouse,
internal 1200/300 bps modem, and 360k floppy drives.
Offering price is $1,100 each.

The 3B1's have 2Mb DRAM and either 40 Mb or 80 Mb hard drives with
all the standard equipment noted above.

The used units have about 3 months of run time. They are fully configured
with operating system, advanced terminal emulation, telephone manager,
and document preparation software including the "vi" editor.

Prices:
7300:	$1,100
3B1/40:	$1,400
3B1/80:	$1,600

We also have a custom software package for this machine that creates an
on-line distributed marketplace for low-turnover items like planes, boats,
collector cars, artwork, etc. It uses dialout uucp cost-efficiently and
presents a very simple, safe user interface for inexperienced users.

FOB: Irvine, California
For more information, please call Rosy King at (714) 660-1386
0800 - 1600, California time.

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (02/09/89)

I want VERY badly to get an ethernet card and tcp/ip for my 7300.
Before I shell out the money, can anyone give me their experiences
both on the card/software and where to get one.

Thanks

--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (03/16/89)

In article <???@koamn.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUPC (Kevin O'Gorman) writes
>In article <932@mtfmi.att.com> tjc@mtfmi.att.com (T.CZARNECKI) writes:
>>
>>	The printer is a OKIDATA Microline 182,  the printer setup
>>on the UNIX-PC only has an option for a OKIDATA92.  If I select
>>that option, I can't do screen prints... I've tried other selections
>
>Yep, AT&T did it to you again.  They did it to me, too.  Screen printing
>works only with AT&T printers, maybe on full compatibles.  This is not too
>surprising because it is built into the kernel and they didn't want to
>clutter that with lots of odd options for different bit-addressing styles
>that different printers have.
>
>I solved this long ago, though I'm not sure I still have the code around.

I have an epson FX-86 which is NOT mentioned anywhere in the documentation
or system.  But screen print has always worked.  I am lucky because
FX-86 is fairly close to the FX-80 which is supported (and the escape
codes on the 86 match the 80 when it comes to printing graphics).

Try creating a /usr/lib/nterm/ file for your printer, and then creating
custom drivers for LP for it.  Use the closest printer for a template.

I have a slightly different /usr/lib/nterm/tab.fx86 (from
/usr/lib/nterm/tab.fx) which supports italics and sub/super scripting.

This is not an AT&T limitation.

steve		uunet!wiley!spp2!baur

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (04/19/89)

From uucp Mon Apr 17 17:18 PDT 1989
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 89 11:53:53 +0200
From: David Melman <uunet!CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU!melman%TECHUNIX.BITNET>
Comments:  Domain style address is "melman@techunix.technion.ac.il"
To: unix-pc-request%zorch.uucp
Subject: help

Hi, I'm posting this for good, but currently desperate, friend of mine
who is not "connected" to anything but his power supply.

The problem:  DISK CRASH!

The system is Unix-PC, Sys V 3.51, with a former 70 meg disk.
It will not boot off the hard disk, but will boot off the floppy.
The injured disk can be mounted, and some files can be read.

The question:

How can the system allow the removal of the boot floppy (and stay up)
so the readable files off the hard disk can be backed up to the floppy
drive?

Please E-mail directly to me as I'm not a member of this list.

Thanks so much.

David Melman
melman@techunix.BITNET

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (05/06/89)

I'm interested in moving the power cable for my hard disk from the
motherboard (where it sits now) to the power supply.  I believe that I saw
how to do that here once.  Could someone please be so kind as to send me
that info one more time?  Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey L. Bromberger
System Operator---City College of New York---Science Computing Facility
Anywhere!{cmcl2,philabs,phri}!ccnysci!jeffrey	jeffrey@ccnysci.BITNET

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (07/23/89)

hp-lsd!unix-pc@zorch.uu.net

I would like to get some news software.  I see many references to
archives of various news software: news 2.11, bnews, cnews, vnews, rn,
?nn?, etc.  But before I spend effort to acquire such software
(personally expensive at long distance and 1200 baud) I would like to
know what is most appropriate for my hardware.

I own sphere, a 3B1 running 3.51 of OS and 3.5 of utilities and very few
public domain additions.  I UUCP with hp-lsd locally in Colorado Springs
twice daily; they would also be a gracious Usenet source although I
connect only at 1200 baud.  Also my harddrive is 40Mbyte.

In the past I have used "rn" at University of Florida, and "notes" (a U
of Illinois package) at Hewlett-Packard.  When I used rn, I was less
knowledgeable, and don't remember being able to recognize threaded
discussions... I'm under the (uninformed) impression that some news
software (rn) can't present a newsgroup's contents grouped by
notestring.  What I want (and had in "notes") is the capability to see
the subject line of all the basenotes in a newsgroup, with all the

What in your opinion is the best news software?
Does my hardware/software limit my choice of news software?
How big is it?
What is typical traffic in comp.sys.att, unix-pc* newsgroups?

I currently receive unix-pc news in a newsletter compiled by Scott Hazen
Mueller at Zorch.  I will see postings following up this request for
information, but I'd really like direct email.  I will digest and
tabulate results and post a followup.  Thank you.

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (07/24/89)

hp-lsd!unix-pc@zorch.uu.net

> Originally-From: gatelist@zorch.UU.NET
> Subject: Submission for Unix-PC
> Date: 22 Jul 89 20:11:37 GMT

> I would like to get some news software.  I see many references to

It appears my address was not retained during posting from zorch.  Sorry.

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr
UUCP: ...hplabs!hp-lsd!sphere!ruck

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (07/31/89)

Recently I posted a request for information regarding news software.
Thanks to the courtesy of so many respondents, I am able to present the
following information.

> I would like to get some news software.  I see many references to
> archives of various news software: news 2.11, bnews, cnews, vnews, rn,
> ?nn?, etc.

"B News", "C News", and "TMNN" each include news transport software,
which provides for the transmission/reception of news articles to/from a
newsfeed site and leaf sites.  At least "B News" also includes news
reading software ("vnews").  The current release of "B News" is known
also as "News 2.11".  A new release of "B News", 3.0, is anticipated.
"C News" is a rewrite of the "B News (2.11?)" transport software for
improved speed.  "nn", "notes", "rn", and "vnews" each are newsreaders,
user interfaces with which to view news articles.  "vnews" is included
in the "B News 2.11" bundle.

>          ... What I want (and had in "notes") is the capability to see
> the subject line of all the basenotes in a newsgroup, with all the

If properly initialized ("It takes setting a switch in a startup file"),
"rn" will present articles in threaded fashion by matching text in
"Subject:" lines.  Apparently, this "rn" feature is not universally
recognized -- several respondents replied that "rn" does not support
threading.

> What in your opinion is the best news software?

The most popularly used news software seems to be "B News 2.11" with the
"rn" newsreader.  Some opined that "C News" and/or "TMNN" are superior
to "B News 2.11"; others recommended "B News 2.11" because it is widely
used and well tested.  A respondent offered the compelling suggestion:
"I suggest you get whatever the sysadmin at your news feed is most
familiar with, so that he can help you get going."  Most respondents
strongly preferred "rn" to "vnews".  Some warned that "notes" was
quasi-orphaned and its use should be discouraged.

> How big is it?

Source code is approx 2-3 MBytes, fitting on 3-4 floppy diskettes when
compressed.  Executables are approx 1 Mbyte.

> What is typical traffic in comp.sys.att, unix-pc* newsgroups?

Estimates ranged from 0 to 10 to 20 articles per day in these
newsgroups, and I was assured that such a restricted subscription would
be easily managed on a 40Mbyte hard drive.  However, one respondent
noted that in some regions, a leaf is obligated to accept a full feed.

Thank you again for your informative responses.

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr
UUCP: ...hplabs!hp-lsd!sphere!ruck

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (08/01/89)

Could you pleas post the following to unix-pc.general?  Thanks

Bob Mugele

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Subject: Unix-pc 2mb expansion board

I've just recently gained access to the unix-pc postings, so I'm sorry if
I'm asking for old information here.

Can anyone tell me of a source for a 2 mb. RAM expansion board?  I have
instructions for desoldering/resoldering a .5 mb board, but that's not
really in my area of competence.  Any information will be gratefully
received.

BOB MUGELE                           PHONE:  work (817) 273-3161 (x4611)
Foreign Languages and Linguistics            home (214) 780-8844
University of Texas at Arlington
Arlington, Texas 76019

UUCP (home): ...uunet!texbell!utafll!teuton!bobm
     (work): ...uunet!texbell!utafll!lwb!bobm

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (08/03/89)

Could you please post the following to unix-pc.general?
Thanks.

Bob Mugele

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Subject: Missing file -- /etc/.cronstart

I started poking around to find out why cron doesn't get started on
a reboot.  I noticed that /etc/rc tries to execute a file called
.cronstart but it is missing on my system (version 3.0).  It is apparently
not on the foundation floppies either.  Does .cronstart just issue
the command /etc/cron or does it have other business to tend to?
Information welcome.

Thanks in advance.

BOB MUGELE                           PHONE:  work (817) 273-3161 (x4611)
Foreign Languages and Linguistics            home (214) 780-8844
University of Texas at Arlington
Arlington, Texas 76019

UUCP (home): ...uunet!texbell!utafll!teuton!bobm
     (work): ...uunet!texbell!utafll!lwb!bobm

gatelist@zorch.UU.NET (08/12/89)

Could some kind soul uuencode the 7300 version of GCC and post it.
Someone did that a year or so ago and I missed. Unfortunately I
don't have disk space to handle the source files myself. Thanks!

--
Signed by:
 _ __              _    ,          	|	Randallstown, Maryland

rkw@ssd.harris.com (08/28/89)

I would appreciate any recommendations about which mailer
would be best for the UNIX PC.

I have been considering mush, as it seems easy to use on the
vax where I login from time to time.

Please mail comments to me:

novavax!medexam!rkw

R.K.Wright
Univ of Miami

campbell@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (bruce dietrich-campbell) (09/14/89)

Hi,

I've just had a problem running pcomm.  As far as I can recall it worked
just fine before I went on vacation.  Anyhow, I recompiled pcomm with
the -g option and found out that it was burping on a shmget() call.

Here's a little one-line test file:

#include	<sys/types.h>
#include	<sys/ipc.h>
#include	<sys/shm.h>

main()
{
	shmget(IPC_PRIVATE, 100, 0600 | IPC_CREAT);
}

And here's what happens (the same thing happens when running pcomm):

# cc -g tst.c
# ./a.out
Bad system call - core dumped
# sdb
Core file 'core' Bad System Call (12) at
1 files, 1 procedures.
__shmsys: address 0x800fa
__shmsys()
main()  [tst.c:7]
#

Line 7 of tst.c is the shmget() call.  Can anyone tell me what's happening?
My little 3b1 is running 3.51a.
Bruce Dietrich-Campbell  ARPA:   campbell@vx2.gba.nyu.edu
                         USENET: ...!{uunet,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!vx2!campbell

jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan) (09/15/89)

In article <8909140024.AA00979@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU> campbell@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (bruce dietrich-campbell) writes:
:
>I've just had a problem running pcomm.  As far as I can recall it worked
>just fine before I went on vacation.  Anyhow, I recompiled pcomm with
>the -g option and found out that it was burping on a shmget() call.
:
	This was a model example of how to provide a simple test
	to help the helper.  Thanks!  As a result, it took less than
	two minutes to answer the question:

		In the land of loadable drivers, the error message
		for executing an IPC call when it's NOT LOADED is
			Bad system call(coredump)

	WHY you're not loading the IPC driver (lipc.o) is unclear.
	It should be listed in
		/etc/lddrv/drivers
	...IFF you usually want it present.  For most of us the
	1st line in this file is:
		lipc
	Of course, you can manually load it too.

	A driver WILL BE REMOVED from this file by the BOOT CODE
	if the system crashes during the loading of the driver.
	This is a NICE way to protect the user from a lethally
	written driver -- but it can byte you if the system crashes
	for OTHER reasons during the loading of a driver.

	Also check the directory
		/etc/lddrv
	for the file
		lipc.o	.
	I recommend backing up lipc.o (to lipc.o.real, or such) and
	then copying nipc.o to lipc.o -- all in that directory.
	NIPC fixes a bug in LIPC.  Folks running the HOTLINE's LIPC
	-- that supports more messages/semaphores -- are stuck without
	a comparable NIPC at this time.  (As noted in prior comments
	thereon: you CAN alter the 'drivers' file to load 'nipc'
	instead of 'lipc', but the 'ipcs' command will fail to
	find required information as a result -- hence the COPYING above.)

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm	-- juzz trying to help, sorry...

jim@relay.EU.net (Jim Sanchez) (10/06/89)

Ken Chochran wanted to know what was necessary to convert a UNIX-PC
power supply to 240 V 50 Hz.  I am using a US UNIX-PC in Belgium(and
have been for 18 months) with nothing more than at simple transformer.
The clock is a crystal oscillator so does not depend on line
frequency. I have had zero problems and the system stays on 24 hours a
day 7 days a week.  So if you buy a simple transformer it works like a
charm but beware of the little franzus thingies that plug into the
outlet for hair dryers.  They will cause big problems.
Cheers

--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

todd@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Todd Doolittle) (10/08/89)

+--------->
+Originally-From: kwmc@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (ken.cochran)
+Subject: Voice / Data line 1 switching.
+
+Can someone tell me how to make line 1 a permanent data line ?
+--------->

        Its pretty simple but the UA will not allow you to do this.  You
must modify '/etc/inittab' (if you wish incoming data calls), and
'/usr/lib/uucp/L-devices' for outgoing data.

	First add this line to '/etc/inittab' (unless you don't want
incoming data calls):

 ph0:2:respawn:/etc/getty ph0 1200

	Now add the following line to your '/usr/lib/uucp/L-devices':

OBM ph0 UNIXPC 1200

	This will define ph0 (line 1) as data only.

:  Todd Doolittle                                   'Beware of your thoughts,  :
:  PSGI                                              they may become words     :
:                                                    at any moment.'           :: ...teemc!psgi!todd                                                           :________________________________________________________________________________

jim@relay.EU.net (Jim Sanchez) (10/13/89)

I would like to try the NN newsreader on my 7300.  I got the thing to
compile but it dumps core whenever I try to run it.  Any ideas. The
background process works just fine(I guess) but the reader program
certainly does not.
Thanks

--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  uunet!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

hsu@batman.hut.fi (10/30/89)

My fiend studying at states would like to get in touch with unix-pc users.
However, they don't have any kind of connections to outside world now. He
would like to get a list of user groups and would like to buy latest
version of the operating system, including compiler and possibly dwb.

Please email to me or contact
	Jaakko Lipasti
	BOX 847, Hartwick CLG
	ONEONTA, NY 13820
	U.S.A.

-
 Heikki Suonsivu @ 2:504/1 Kuutamokatu 5 A 7/02210 Espoo/FINLAND
..!mcvax!santra!kampi!hsu  hsu@fingate.BITNET hsu@kampi.hut.fi
v22bis +358-0-8031121

horn@rt20.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) (10/30/89)

In article <8910291600.AA13701@batman.hut.fi> hsu@batman.hut.fi writes:
>                                            would like to buy latest
>version of the operating system, including compiler and possibly dwb.

What is "dwb"?  In the context it sounds like a debugger.  I'm looking
for a debugger better than "sdb" and easier to get running on a 3b1 than
"gdb".  Incidentally, for those of you who've done it, how is gdb?  I've only
used sdb and dbx for debugging.  dbx is light-years better than sdb.

Actually, anyone that's gotten gdb to work properly, could you tell me what
it was that you did?  Or possibly where I could get the binaries?  Is there
anything that I HAVE TO HAVE in order to run "gdb" as a binary?  That's what's
holding me back from compiling it myself--the amount of things that I'll
very likely never use that I have to get in order to get gdb (i.e. bison).

Thanks, (in advance)
- sparkie
--
p.s.	Please reply to one of the following addresses and NOT the one
	listed above.  Thanks!

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (10/30/89)

In article <3516@puff.cs.wisc.edu> horn@rt20.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) writes:
"What is "dwb"?  In the context it sounds like a debugger.

documenter's workbench.  [nt]roff, pic, grap, tbl, eqn...  macros of
various flavors...

the latest version is 3.0, and includes a ditroff and ps-driver.
i don't believe it's available for the unix-pc, though i'm sure it
would compile.

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Clay Fancier		|		    SAVE THE SKEETS!		       |

scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) (11/18/89)

Does anyone know of a graphics package for the UNIX PC which lets me draw
2 dimensional graphics primitives (lines, circles, polygons, etc.) in
device coordinates (i.e. coordinates of points give the scan line and pixel
position within a scan line).

I've been trying to do this kind of thing using VDI, but it is very cumbersome
to second guess precisely what virtual coordinate will get mapped by VDI
into a particular device coordinate.  I've had to look at the work_out[]
array after doing a v_opnwk() call to find out maximum addressable NDC space
coordinates on x and y axes, maximum addressable width of screen/plotter in
rasters/steps, and maximum addressable height of screen/plotter in rasters/
steps.  Every time I want to refer to a device coordinate I have to do
a multiplication and a division to convert it to an NDC coordinate.  Internal
to the VDI software presumably another multiplication and another division is
done to convert the NDC coordinate back into a device coordinate so that
rending can be done to the device.  There are cases in which if the application
program in very careful the device coordinate it really wants and the one the
VDI software comes up with after a double conversion can be off by one, which
in some cases is significant.

I have been tempted to built my own device coordinate graphics primitive
library, which would render things into a main memory bitmap which is the
size of the bounding box of the object being rendered (or actually slightly
larger in some cases to make word boundaries line up) and then BLT the main
memory bitmap to the screen using the ioctl call which does this.

However, I'd really rather not spent the time and effort re-inventing the
wheel if there already is a device coordinate oriented graphics package for
the UNIX PC.

Please reply to this via e-mail to me as I don't have access to the unixpc
newsgroups.

Thanks in advance,
-Michael Aramini
 work:  aramini@apollo.com  -or-  ...!apollo!aramini
 home:  ...!apollo!mja!aramini

scott@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Scott Hazen Mueller) (11/18/89)

Subject: Is there better UNIX PC software for using MS-DOS floppies

I have a 3B-1 computer running version 3.51 of the software with FIX #1014
(3.51 fix disk ver 1.0 unix pc) installed.  I do *not* have the board with
80x8x processor which runs MS-DOS.  I wish to use MS-DOS format floppies in
order to exchange files with a friend who has access to a IBM compatible PC.

To access MS-DOS floppies, I have been using the MSDOS format, MSDOS read, and
MSDOS write choices in the Floppydisk menu in the User Agent.  These choices
work marginally, but have very limited functionality.  They do not allow for
things like renaming or deleting files.  The MSDOS write choice will not allow
overwriting of existing files on the floppy; in fact, it will not even allow
writing a file with the same filename, but a different extension, to the floppy.
Also neither MSDOS read nor MSDOS write allow the use of wildcards, making
transfer of multiple files very tedious.

What my questions is, is the underlying software that the Floppydisk menus
invoke accessible via a command line from a shell?  If so, are there command
line options to allow some of the functionality that I discussed above, such
as allowing the overwriting of existing files?  Even if the command line
interface, if one exists, does not support wildcarding (i.e. does not support
multiple file transferred in the same invocation of the program), it would
at least be possible to write a shell script which has multiple invocations
of the command, which would at least make multiple file transfer more
automatic.

If such software is not directly accessible via a command line interface, or
if the added functionality I am looking for is not there, is there other
software, perhaps in the public domain, which does what I am looking for?
Remember this is on a UNIX PC *without* a DOS board.

Please e-mail you responses to me directly as I don't have access to the

gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (11/22/89)

In a recent article Rick Bladek writes:
>AT & T has an excellent word processor called the "AT & T UNIX PC
>Model 7300 Word Processor" that utilizes the keys that you
>mentioned. I purchased it in 1985 for $295. It includes drivers for
>various printers and I use it with the ATT455 daisywheel letter
>quality printer and the ADEUS 2000 daisywheel printer. I say I use
>>it, but it's my wife who has her own secretarial service who really
>beats away at it on a daily basis. My wife has used various word
>processors on IBM and MAC systems and says that she has never seen a
>better one than the AT & T one.  The only problem was that it didn't
>have a spelling checker, but I wrote one that interfaces with the spell
>system in unix and it performs perfectly with it.

I am curious if this is the word processor that appears in the boarder
when you select create file from the filecabinet window?

I recall trying this quite a while ago, and I didn't think it was a
WYSIWYG  (What You See Is What You Get) word processor, so I just
de-installed it.

Also, I couldn't stand editing a file in that dumb window!  Vi also
comes up that way (in ua) if you don't have a word processor.
There should be some option that would allow you to use the entire
screen if you using the editor via the ua/filecabinet/create file setup.

Thanks for the info,
Tanya

#-------------------------------------------------#
| Tanya Katz                  (516) 231-5400 x430 |
|                                                 |
| 	...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya                |
| 	tanya.katz@adds.newyork.ncr.com           |
|                                                 |
| ADDS Inc, 100 Marcus Blvd, Hauppauge, NY 11788  |
#-------------------------------------------------#

jim@relay.EU.net (Jim Sanchez) (11/24/89)

I have a NEC 890 on my system and could not be happier with it.  It
emulates a Diablo 630, HP Laserjet of course postscript.  The newer
models also do HPGL (plotter) emulation as well I think.  The toner
cartridges are cheap ~$25 and last a good while and the "guts"
cartridge is no more expensive that any of the others.  It also has a
parallel, serial, and appletalk interfaces which means you can hook it
up to whatever you have.  The HP emulation is perfect as best as I can
tell and even runs the compatibility suite posted to the net a few
months ago.

I am using a ditroff package with postscript postprocessor which came
as part of a "software bundle" from what is now Discovery Electronics.
It also included emacs, a c interpreter, rdb, and troff for $295 I
think.  I don't use any of the other stuff just the ditroff but it
works pretty well.  The PIC package is a bit brain damaged and there
is no grap but eqn and tbl work fine.  I would buy eroff if I had it
to do over however.

To summarize, if you have the $$ then this is a fine product which has
worked perfectly for me with zero problems.

Cheers

--

tanya@srctwr (Tanya Katz x430) (11/27/89)

In an article Originally-From: lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs)

Len writes:

>I am searching for the cource to a 3B1 program that was posted several
>months ago.  It was an interactive calculator that apparently was an
>intelligent front end to bc.

>If you have a copy or know where it could be extracted, please post
>or send mail.

>Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to, but I use kc.
It originally appeared in Unix World as the Ksh Tool of the Month.

Any way, it is short, so here it is...

-Tanya
...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya
tanya.katz@adds.newyork.ncr.com

#                o /             o /             o /             o /
#--Cut-here-------X---------------X---------------X---------------X----
#                o \             o \             o \             o \
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything above this line!
# Save the results in a file.
# To unpack "sh file".
# To unpack & overwrite existing files, "sh file -c".
#
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb ; export PATH

if test -f kc -a "$1" != "-c"
   then echo file kc exists. \"sh $0 -c\" forces overwrite!
   else echo kc 1>&2
	cat >kc << 'END_OF_kc'
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
#sccs	"@(#)	KC 	 Version 1.0"
#
# 	BC front-end originally "ksh tool of the month,"
# 	UnixWorld Magazine, April, 1988
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------

if [ $# -gt 0 ]
    then
#	exec bc directly with command line arg
	echo "$*" | bc
	exit 0
    fi
#	force letters to upper case
typeset -u BCIN
M=0
menu() {
echo "
Kc memory functions:

  m+\tAdd to memory\t\t\tm-    Subtract from memory
  mi\tMemory in (direct)\t\tmr    Memory recall
  mc\tMemory clear\t\t\t=     Print current totals
  +-/*\tMath op using current total\tac    Clear accumulator & memory
"
}
#	put bc in background and set up pipe
    bc -l |&
    print -p "obase=10; ibase=10; scale=2"
    print -p "m=0"
    PROMPT="> "
    echo "Welcome to KC: the k-shell calculator.
Type ? for the help menu.  To quit: q <RETURN>
"
    while :
    do
	if  echo "$PROMPT\c"
	    KBD=`line`
	then
	    case "$KBD" in
	    	help |\?)
			menu
			;;

		q|Q|quit|QUIT)
			exit ;;

		!)	ksh ;;
		!*)	eval "${KBD##!}" ;; #strip off leading !

		m+)	print -p "m = m + ${ANS:=0}; m"
			read -p M
			if [ ! "${M}" = "0" ]
			then
				print - "\tm= $M"
				PROMPT="m> "
			else
				PROMPT="> "
			fi
			;;

		m-)	print -p - "m = m - ${ANS:=0}; m"
			read -p M
			if [ ! "${M}" = "0" ]
			then
				print - "\tm= $M"
				PROMPT="m> "
			else
				PROMPT="> "
			fi
			;;

		mi)	print -p - "m = ${ANS:=0}; m"
			read -p M
			if [ ! "${M}" = "0" ]
			then
				print - "\tm= $M"
				PROMPT="m> "
			else
				PROMPT="> "
			fi
			;;

		mr)	print -p - "m"
			read -p ANS
			print - "\t$ANS"
			;;

		mc)	print -p "m = 0"
			PROMPT="> "
			;;

		scale)  print -p "scale"
			read -p ANS
			print - "\t$ANS"
			;;

		scale*)  print -p "$KBD"
			;;

		obase)  print -p "obase"
			read -p ANS
			print - "\t$ANS"
			;;

		obase*)  print -p "$KBD"
			;;

		ibase)  print -p "ibase"
			read -p ANS
			print - "\t$ANS"
			;;

		ibase*)  print -p "$KBD"
			;;

		/0)	print "divide by 0\007"
			;;

		/ | \* | + | -)
			;;

		+* | -* | /* | \**) BCIN="$KBD"
			print -p - "${ANS:=0}${BCIN}"
  			if [ $? -ne 0 ]
			then echo "kc: ${ANS:=0}${BCIN}"
				exit 1
			fi
			read -p ANS
 			print - "\t$ANS"
			;;

		=)	print - "\t${ANS:=0}"
			if [ $M -ne 0 ]
			then print - "\tm= $M"
			fi
			;;

		ac)	print -p "m = 0"
			print -p "0"
			read -p ANS
			print - "\t$ANS"
			PROMPT="> "
			;;

	 	[!G-Zg-z]*)	#matches 0-9 and a-f input
			if [ ! "$KBD" ]
			then continue
			fi
			BCIN="$KBD"
		   	print -p "$BCIN"
			read -p ANS
		   	print - "\t$ANS"
			;;
		esac
	else
		exit
	fi
done
END_OF_kc
if test 2650 -ne `wc -c <kc`
   then echo sh: "kc" unpacked with wrong size!
   fi
fi
# ----- End of kc shell code ----- #
#  End of sh archive.
exit 0

arb@PacBell.COM (Rick Bladek) (11/30/89)

+

In article 5968, Tanya Katz writes:

>I am curious if this is the word processor that appears in the boarder
>when you select create file from the filecabinet window?
>
>I recall trying this quite a while ago, and I didn't think it was a
>WYSIWYG  (What You See Is What You Get) word processor, so I just
>de-installed it.
>
>Also, I couldn't stand editing a file in that dumb window!  Vi also
>comes up that way (in ua) if you don't have a word processor.
>There should be some option that would allow you to use the entire
>screen if you using the editor via the ua/filecabinet/create file setup.

Question #1:

Yes, it is the AT&T word processor (if installed) that is accessed from
the file cabinet window when you select create file.

Question #3:

The AT&T word processor does provide a 'FULL window' for editing
purposes, and in addition, allows the word processor to be the default
editor in the Office Preferences window.

I don't know why AT&T isn't pushing the word processor more as I
think it's a great product.

arb@PacBell.COM (Rick Bladek) (12/01/89)

[...]
+#-------------------------------------------------#
+| Tanya Katz                  (516) 231-5400 x430 |
+|                                                 |
+| 	...uunet!ncrlnk!adds!tanya                |
+| 	tanya.katz@adds.newyork.ncr.com           |
+|                                                 |
+| ADDS Inc, 100 Marcus Blvd, Hauppauge, NY 11788  |
+#-------------------------------------------------#

Question #1:

Yes, it is the AT&T word processor (if installed) that is accessed from
the file cabinet window when you select create file.

Question #3:

The AT&T word processor does provide a 'FULL window' for editing
purposes, and in addition, allows the word processor to be the default
editor in the Office Preferences window.

I don't know why AT&T isn't pushing the word processor more as I
think it's a great product.

gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/08/89)

Until recently I have been able to use my 3B-1 at home as a terminal to dial in
to computers at work.  However, for security reasons, my employer has replaced
the conventional modems it had before with a call back system.  This is a system
Where I call in, enter a few magic numbers via touch-tone which identify me
as a valid user, and then I hang up. A few minutes later the system will call
me back (using the phone number that it has in its database entry for me.

In order for me to be able to use this, I need a program that is somewhat like
cu, but instead of placing a call, it waits around for an incoming call.  I
guess it also need to temorarily turn off the getty which would normally be
waiting for an incoming call.  BTW, I don't want to permanently turn off the
getty waiting on the modem because at other times when I am not using the
callback system, I want to computer to be able to answer UUCP calls.

Can anoyone recommend some software which does what I want.  If such software
doesn't exist, can someone suggest how I can write it myself.  I've looked
at the manuals, including dial(3C), but it seems to only talk about placing
outgoing calls on the modem; I haven't been able to find anything on waiting
for incoming calls.  Clearly there must be a way to wait (or at least poll for)
incoming calls since clearly getty must do this.

-Michael Aramini
 work:  aramini@apollo.hp.com  -or-  ...!apollo!aramini
 home:  ...!apollo!mja!aramini

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (Bill Carpenter) (12/08/89)

On 8 Dec 89 00:39:38 GMT, gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG said:

gatelist> In order for me to be able to use this, I need a program
gatelist> that is somewhat like cu, but instead of placing a call, it
gatelist> waits around for an incoming call.  I guess it also need to

I ran into dialback modems a while back.  Below is what I did.  This
was using HDB "cu".  I have never tried it with stock "cu".  If anyone
does, perhaps they could post the result, good or bad.
--
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 88 09:18 EST
From: wjc
>From wjc  Fri Feb  5 09:18:56 1988
To: ...
Subject: answering calls with "cu"

A couple months ago, we were jointly wondering how we could answer an
incoming data call on the UnixPC and end up in terminal emulation.  We
discussed this in the context of using the "ct" utility from another
Unix host (we're apparently still waiting for the new secure version
of "ct" to be issued).

Well, here's good news.  At OCW, they don't use a modem password;
instead, they use a dialback modem.  That is, you call in, type your
security ID, it hangs up and calls you back on a pre-programmed phone
number.  That means that I had to attack with fervor the problem of
answering an incoming call for terminal emulation.

This method works for the UnixPC with the latest HDB uucp and cu from
The Store!  It seems like it would probably work with other uucp
versions and other types of machines that have modems directly
connected to them, but I'm conjecturing a little.

A.  File stuff.  Make an entry like this in your uucp Systems file:

	hullo Any hullo Any -

There is nothing magic about the token "hullo".  You just need
something that isn't otherwise special or built-in for uucp.

Make an entry like this in your uucp Devices file:

	hullo ph1,M - Any direct

Again, nothing special about "hullo" except that it must match the
token in the Systems file.  The token "direct" is special to uucp.
The entry "ph1,M" identifies the Unix device, so you could use "ph0"
or "tty000" (if you had an external modem on /dev/tty000), etc.  The
",M" is an undocumented item used by the dialing routines.  It means
the port has modem control.  When uucp or cu opens the device, the
open() call won't return until it sees Carrier Detect or some similar
modem magic.

B.  Command stuff.  Imagine that your phone is just about to ring with
that incoming data call.  You can answer it by using:

	getoff.sh ph1    # kills the uugetty on the line
	cu hullo         # will tell you it's "connected" right away
	<your terminal session here>
	geton.sh ph1     # optional, restores the uugetty

If you do the "cu" while the phone is ringing, it will be answered as
soon as "cu" kicks in.  If you "cu" before it rings, then it will be
answered quickly (first ring).  In either case, bang a few CR's or
whatever, since you're connected to the line and it might need
autobauding on the other end.

When you exit "cu", the connection won't be broken right away.  It
takes 30 seconds or so.  This is due to the normal mechanisms in the
phone, but we don't normally see it with "cu" since we normally
inititate the call.  What you get is a race condition between the
phone network disconnecting you and Datakit (or whatever) timing out
and hanging up.  I guess it doesn't matter much.

NOTES:

I'm not completely sure how some of this works, so there are possibly
some better combinations of things to do, especially with the uucp
file entries.

I also tried doing this via the Office phone stuff.  It claims that if
you don't use a phone number, it will spawn async_main in what looks
like an answer mode.  Alas, you can't get past the error message that
it gives you about the missing phone number, so I guess we'll never
know.

Yes, I did find out about the ",M" by reading the uucp source code.  I
guess you could consider that a form of documentation.

	Bill Carpenter
	(AT&T gateways)!ho5cad!wjc

jrallen@devildog.UUCP (Jon Allen) (12/09/89)

On my UNIXPC at home I use the command: cu -s2400 -l/dev/tty000
with an external modem in auto answer mode.  This works well
for me and I have used it for a long time.

-Jon
jrallen@acpy01.att.com

scj@casux4.uucp (Steve Johnson) (12/11/89)

In article <8912080450.AA20987@ames.arc.nasa.gov> gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG writes:
>Until recently I have been able to use my 3B-1 at home as a terminal to dial in
>to computers at work.  However, for security reasons, my employer has replaced
>the conventional modems it had before with a call back system.

(...)

>Can anoyone recommend some software which does what I want.

(...)

>-Michael Aramini
> work:  aramini@apollo.hp.com  -or-  ...!apollo!aramini
> home:  ...!apollo!mja!aramini

While waiting for a UnixPC guru ( ;-) ) to provide the elegant answer,
you could try the kludge below:

1. cu -s<speed> -l<ttyXXX> to a modem set for auto-answer.
2. dial "by hand," e.g., "ATDTXXXXXXX" or it's equivalent.
3. login to the callback modem.
4. after verification, enter the modem's command mode and hang up
   (+++ATH).
5. wait for callback and "login:" prompt.

Note that your modem must not "hangup" the tty line when you hang up the
remote callback machine.  If it does and you cannot configure your modem
to prevent this, IMMEDIATELY "cu" again or try another access program
such as kermit or pcom.

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (12/11/89)

In article <8912080450.AA20987@ames.arc.nasa.gov> gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG writes:
[recently switched to ring-back modem]
[want to be ready for these ring-back calls]

Well, if one is using an external modem, one only need the appropriate direct
device, then just cu -l and wait for the call to come in. If you have a Hayes
set for no auto-answer, then you need to ATS0=1, or type ATA when the phone
rings. Yeah, yeah that's easy, what about the OBM.

I was all ready to hack up something to make this work, but I got lucky. The
trick to answering phone calls with /dev/ph? is the mode in which you open
the device:

O_RDWR|O_NDELAY	Open for outgoing call (NDELAY so you get it open for ioctl())
O_RDWR		Open for incoming, block until answer
O_RDONLY	Open for voice only call (no modem)

/usr/lib/uucp/Devices already has:
---
ACU ph1 ph1 1200 PC7300 \T
---
so I added:
---
Direct ph1 ph1 1200 direct
---
and just did "cu -lph1" It did the normal getoff.sh stuff, then just hung
there until a call came in. When CD came up I was connected. I'm kind of
disappointed it was so easy. I would guess the same concept would work with
old-style cu, but I haven't tried it. Not using ,M seems appropriate.

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:469-1990; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!

gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/12/89)

Regarding news-posting style & unix-pc.general:

Posters, please be aware that your postings to unix-pc.general are
regularly combined into a newsletter at host zorch by Scott Hazen
Mueller and forwarded by email to a mailing list of readers who do not
have Usenet access to unix-pc.general.

Occasionally this newsletter is truncated in transit.  The cause seems
to be a postings with a line consisting solely of periods (commonly an
ellipsis, the three character string "...") from which one period gets
consumed by each intermediate SMTP(?) mailer.  If such a mailer sees
only one period on the line, the rest of the letter is truncated.

The simple solution appears to be a newletter filter, e.g.
sed 's/^\./!./', at zorch.  But I think it's important that each poster,
to this and !other! newsgroups, recognize that their postings might be
transmitted in "digest"ed form, and be susceptable to the various mailer
bugs/features.

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr, ...!hplabs!hp-lsd!sphere!ruck

gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/12/89)

Regarding "make" and input/output redirection

I want to tee make output to a logfile.  But a function in the Makefile
doesn't like the way I'm redirecting output.  Command 1 works, 2
doesn't ("sh: test: argument expected").

1. $ make su_bin
2. $ make su_bin 2>&1 | tee logfile

Here's the Makefile excerpt:

su_bin:
# if not user bin, then abend
	if [ `ps -f | \
	        awk '$$2==PID {print $$1}' PID=$$$$ -` != bin ]; then \
	    echo "Makefile: su bin before making" >&2; \
	    exit 2; \
	fi

This question was posed to a friend using HP-UX, who said
> I ran your makefile here and it works with and without the
> redirection.  So I can't duplicate the problem.  I can speculate
> that the awk script is not getting any input because the redirection
> and the reference to '-' in the makefile confuse things on your
> system.  Why not just use 'whoami' in the makefile?

But of course, we do not have whoami, and I replied
> "su" (on my system) will not make an entry in /etc/utmp, the file "who"
> and "who am i" normally examine.  Instead, "su" makes an entry in
> /usr/adm/sulog.  For that reason, "who am i" will not reflect the user
> one is "su"ed to.

Any suggestions or enlightening comments would be greatly appreciated.
(am using 3.51 OS, 3.5 development set)

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr, ...!hplabs!hp-lsd!sphere!ruck

gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/12/89)

Regarding BAD FREE LIST errors

Lately, my fsck at boot has shown a BAD FREE LIST error which apparently
fsck heals for me.  I loaded the diagnostic diskette and did a
non-destructive hard disk test which did not return any trouble
information (I thought perhaps my disk had degraded, and new information
should be entered in a bad-block table so that a section of disk could be
ignored).

Might this be the result of sloppy software rather than indicative of
hardware failure?
I know very little about fsck and disk diagnosis and maintenance.  I
will be very greatful for information and suggestions.
I run 3.51 OS, 3.5 development set.

An fsck -n generated:

  /dev/fp002   (NO WRITE)
  File System:  Volume:

  ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
  POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=278

  POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=2873

  POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=3076

  POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=3097

  ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
  ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
  ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
  UNREF FILE I=2873  OWNER=root MODE=10000
  SIZE=0 MTIME=Dec 12 03:19 1989
  CLEAR?  no

  FREE INODE COUNT WRONG IN SUPERBLK
  FIX?  no

  ** Phase 5 - Check Free List
  2 DUP BLKS IN FREE LIST
  BAD FREE LIST
  SALVAGE?  no

  3255 files 51548 blocks 19164 free

The MTIME of the UNREF file is precisely the time at which I was doing
the fsck!  I have not seen that kind of error before tonight.
I've also seen the Phase 5 error "1 BLK(S) MISSING" "BAD FREE LIST"
instead of the "N DUP BLKS IN FREE LIST" "BAD FREE LIST".

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr, ...!hplabs!hp-lsd!sphere!ruck

gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/12/89)

> Regarding BAD FREE LIST errors
Problem simplification!

> An fsck -n generated:
>   ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
>   UNREF FILE I=2873  OWNER=root MODE=10000
>   SIZE=0 MTIME=Dec 12 03:19 1989
>   CLEAR?  no
>
>   FREE INODE COUNT WRONG IN SUPERBLK
>   FIX?  no

> The MTIME of the UNREF file is precisely the time at which I was doing
> the fsck!  I have not seen that kind of error before tonight.

Further analysis shows the Phase 4 error to be transient; it only occurs
when I am piping fsck output to a tee (and therefore writing to the tee
argument).  It does not occur at the simple "fsck -n" or "fsck -n >
fsck.log".
A better fsck output (than the one I posted earlier) to examine is:

  /dev/fp002   (NO WRITE)
  File System:  Volume:

  ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
  POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=278

  POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=3076

  POSSIBLE FILE SIZE ERROR I=3097

  ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
  ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
  ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
  ** Phase 5 - Check Free List
  1 BLK(S) MISSING
  BAD FREE LIST
  SALVAGE?  no

  3253 files 51550 blocks 19162 free

Again, I will be grateful for enlightenment.

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr, ...!hplabs!hp-lsd!sphere!ruck

gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/12/89)

Now that The Store is closed, can someone suggest where else I can get copies
of Kermit, HDB uucp, and HDB cu for the UNIX PC?

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (12/15/89)

In article <8912121021.AA06028@hp-lsd.HP.COM> gatelist@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG writes:
>Regarding "make" and input/output redirection
>
>I want to tee make output to a logfile.  But a function in the Makefile
>doesn't like the way I'm redirecting output.

Try "make >MAKE.OUT 2>&1

unix-pc@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/15/89)

 When i leave the telephone line installed as Data I get interrupts while downloading generated by getty (etc/wtmp) and if I dont uninstall the line the
system slows down greatly. Its a PC7300 with version 3.00( DON'T laugh there
are no other systems DOWN UNDER and upgrades are not practable). Also can
the memory on the expansion be upgraded from 8x64 to 8X256 by pin compatiables.

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (12/16/89)

I'm sure you all hate this... but here it goes...

I am ``new'' to this group and after reading about two weeks worth of
articles, I have two questions...

1) Is there a list somewhere of [well] known security holes in the 3.51
   software...
2) Is there a list somewhere of public accessable documentation on the
   proper way to take apart and work on the 3b1.

3) thanx!

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''

sparkie@decwrl.dec.com (Mark J. Horn) (12/23/89)

>Hello all,
>
>After buying a voice power board for my 3b1, I realized that the voice mail
>package that comes with it, and that is required to run the answering machine,
>conflicts with smail.  A hack is necessary for the voice mail package to
>co-exist with sma.  Normal mail should use smail (currently also linked to
>rmail) and voice mail should use the rmail that comes with that package.

What happens is you just re-link rmail to be smail?  I just tried it and it
seems to be working.  I'm not sure though.  I may find out that it won't work
later on.

>Has anybody written such a front-end to rmail?  Is anybody out there running
>the voice mail software in combination with regular mail software, possibly
>through some other means?  If no one has, I'll attempt this myself but no
>sense re-inventing the wheel if someone has already done it.
>
>Please e-mail responses, I'll summrize.

I would appreciate that summary, but if someone has written code to do this
already, please post it!!  It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard of code to
write.  Does rmail get called differently by the Voice Power electronic mail
system?  If so then this is easy.  If not how does the VP rmail determine that
it's being called for rmail purposes?

>Augustine Cano		canoaf@dept.csci.unt.edu

Thanks,
- sparkie
--
 ___  ___  ___  ___  _  _  _  ___
/ __\| . \/ . \| . \| |/ /|_|| _ |  "Mothers Against Skunks Driving...
ARPA: harier!sparkie@cs.wisc.edu
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!harier!sparkie
                                 {decvax|att}!

unix-pc@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (12/27/89)

Can't cu to telebit:

I am having problems cu'ing a remote telebit modem at 1200 bps using
the 3B1 internal modem.  I can log in and send short transmissions OK,
but if I try "ls -l /" or a "~%take x" what I get is half garbage. (
~%put works fine ) It's as if the DC1/DC3 being sent at my end doesn't
stop transmission from the telebit end fast enough and my buffers get
overflowed.  We've tinkered with settings, but I can't find a way to
work around this.  I can cu a non-telebit modem with no problem.  Any
ideas or similar experiences?

Use US robotics instead of internal modem?:

As an alternative, I am trying to get cu working with a non-supported
modem (US Robotics Courier 2400). Has anyone done this?  Does anyone
know if this modem matches any of the modems supported by the 3B1
setup?  If it doesn't, does that mean there's no way I can make it
autodial? are the autodialing codes hard-coded into cu for each
modemtype or are they in a file somewhere?

Substitute program for cu?:

As another alternative, does anyone know of a terminal emulation
program for the 3B1 that has file upload/download capability?

 ( Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 8836 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA )
 ( {decvax,hplabs,uunet!amdahl,nsc}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al         (602)870-1696 )

obrien@kcdev.UUCP (John Obrien x4089) (12/29/89)

This sounds exactly like the trouble I have been having with the 3B2 here.
I reported it in this newsgroup a couple times and got several respones,
none of which has worked yet.  Sorry.  The most promising one was to
change the 'epstty' setting from -hfc to hfc.  Once I was able to get
access to this command on the 3B2 and change it, it didn't make a bit of
difference, I'm still receiving trash in the same manner as you describe.
I'll be watching for more answers.

ttg@gryphon.COM (Ted Garrett) (12/31/89)

I use my 3b1 with a USR Courier 2400, and the hayes entry from modemcap.  Seems
to work fine for me.  Since I'm using the V3.51 release of unix, I've got the
Asynchronous Terminal Emulator, which uses umodem for up/downloading.

Hope I've been of some help.

sparkie@decwrl.dec.com (Mark J. Horn) (01/04/90)

Hello Netters,

For those of you with a Voice Power board, I have a question.  I attempted
to send myself a voice mail message, but not successfully.  I created a
mail item and routed it through my uucp feed back to myself.  Well what I got
back was this:

=======Begin External Read=======
From uucp Thu Jan  4 01:55 CST 1990
Date: Wed Jan  3 23:42 CST 1990
To: madnix!harier!sparkie
Subject: This is a test
Default-Options:
UA-Message-ID: 7048
Message-Source: PC7300
Message-Version: 1

Begin: Voice
Filename: /usr/mail/voice_files/sparkie/harier/7048:e:v
Object Type: Voice file
xbtoa Begin
VqFl%J_J#ir7V, nQFo#r#,O!r41_VVqE0@LLc9JG>rl_LLb^:o%so&pt>hr<0i4tL/3(dG#4'!K4K
7$L1#-tK4K.1K2dOrL1#j/L/W8#LLc-EG#4 tMI_EDF\d<SCL`3(G#<NRGBA-[G@3IJDaJV`Os>ZAD
fi"M0gpj]<\9_a<c<.0O+W09U*N/qJY-'^dr7fKUHhgkFYHfhLNDSDL1e&6[q&qgLjsOdEdq43;G\8

[ ... I deleted the rest (which looked like this for 450 more lines) ... ]
=======End External Read=======

I was under the assumption that Voice Power Electronic mail would automagically
convert that it to the proper format and all I would have to do is listen to it.
If this is a wrong assumption, what do I have to do to convert it to a voice
message?  If it's suppossed to convert it, what configuration tweak am I
missing?  I'm again calling on this net's unbounded wisdom, and I thank you in
advance for any help . . .

Thanks,
- sparkie
--