[unix-pc.general] How does the death star "working" logo on the UNIXPC work?

baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Steven L. Baur) (12/31/89)

I am curious to know what system calls, etc.  are used to implement the
AT&T death star "working ..." logo that appears on the UNIXPC.
What program produces it, etc.
I have thought about it for some time but have not come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance.
--
steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM
A computer which cannot run GNU emacs is not worth using.

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (01/01/90)

In article <219@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> baur@venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:
>I am curious to know what system calls, etc.  are used to implement the
>AT&T death star "working ..." logo that appears on the UNIXPC.
>What program produces it, etc.
>steve	baur@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM

The death-star "Working" icon is produced by the window driver, and is
on the screen whenever the "current" window (ie. the window attached to the
keyboard) is not blocking for input.

>A computer which cannot run GNU emacs is not worth using.

Make GNU emacs as small as (or smaller than) vi with equivalent (or better)
functionality and I'll agree with you.

-----

sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) (01/02/90)

From article <591@limbic.UUCP>, by gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.):
> In article <219@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> baur@venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:
>>I am curious to know what system calls, etc.  are used to implement the
>>AT&T death star "working ..." logo that appears on the UNIXPC.

> The death-star "Working" icon is produced by the window driver, and is
> on the screen whenever the "current" window (ie. the window attached to the
> keyboard) is not blocking for input.

And yes, you can change it.  It is *fairly* easy.  You need a program
like 'FATBIT' or Iconoclast to create the bit map you want, and then
adb to write the bit map into the window driver.  This has been discussed
before, but if anyone is interested, I'll dig out the gory details.

--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}

stephen@coplex.UUCP (Steve Hess) (01/03/90)

There was a pogram posted to the net that let you change the "Death Star"
logo.  It was called wb, I don't remember who posted it but it did the
job.  If anybody wants this program send me email.  There is only two
pictures that with the program if anybody has any other that they would
like to shar let me know.

Steve Hess

--
USnail:  Stephen Hess       Usenet: ...ddsw1!corpane!disk!coplex!stephen
         5006 Oldshire Rd        or	stephen@coplex.UUCP

comeau@utoday.UUCP (Greg Comeau) (01/05/90)

In article <591@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <219@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM> baur@venice.sedd.trw.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:
>>I am curious to know what system calls, etc.  are used to implement the
>>AT&T death star "working ..." logo that appears on the UNIXPC.
>
>The death-star "Working" icon is produced by the window driver, and is
>on the screen whenever the "current" window (ie. the window attached to the
>keyboard) is not blocking for input.

I think if I recall correct that the "not blocking for input" is just a subset
of the possiblities.

If I recall, the logo will only come up having something to do with an
internal/kernel sleep() call.
--
Greg, Comeau Computing, 91-34 120th Street, Richmond Hill, NY, 11418
Also, mag writer for UNIX Today! (SysAdm columnist), Microsoft Systems Journal

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (01/06/90)

In article <1130@utoday.UUCP> comeau@.UUCP (Greg Comeau) writes:
>In article <591@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>>The death-star "Working" icon is produced by the window driver, and is
>>on the screen whenever the "current" window (ie. the window attached to the
>>keyboard) is not blocking for input.
>
>I think if I recall correct that the "not blocking for input" is just a subset
>of the possiblities.
>
>If I recall, the logo will only come up having something to do with an
>internal/kernel sleep() call.

I don't have source to the kernel, but I don't think it has anything to do
with kernel sleep() calls.  You can do a lot of something or absolutely
nothing, if the current window is not blocking for input, the working
icon will be on.  If it is blocking for input, the working icon is not on.

If they had to deal with kernel sleeps to handle the icon, there would be
real kludgy things going on inside the kernel in order to implement this.
If you remove the window driver, there is no such thing as a "working"
icon...  I'm 99.9% sure that the code that drives the icon is in the
window driver.

I've seen some real ... let us say "interesting" ... hacks that seem to
be in this kernel, so I won't say you're wrong.  I really doubt that
very much trouble was expended to do that icon, and handling it in the
manner I described is the simplest given the conditions where it seems
to appear.

-------

alex@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (01/09/90)

In article <597@limbic.UUCP> gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:

>If they had to deal with kernel sleeps to handle the icon, there would be
>real kludgy things going on inside the kernel in order to implement this.
>If you remove the window driver, there is no such thing as a "working"
>icon...  I'm 99.9% sure that the code that drives the icon is in the
>window driver.

	Me too, but it could still be the sleep routine. Its pretty easy
to replace existing kernal routines in loadable drivers, so its quite
possible that the window driver loads a new sleep routine when it gets loaded.

	Of course, I haven't looked at it either.

--
#Disclamer: Anyone who agrees   #    University of Maryland Baltimore County