[unix-pc.general] OBM: outgoing only

rhg@cpsolv.UUCP (Richard H. Gumpertz) (01/12/90)

Asked before, but absolutely no responses the last time:

Does anybody know how to make the On Board Modem of a Unix PC 7300 outgoing
only?  That is, it can originate calls but not answer them.  Preference is for
this to be done on ph2, but I suppose ph1 could be used if necessary.  Surely
there must be a way!  What about making it answer on Nth ring where N > 1?

  | Richard H. Gumpertz    rhg@CPS.COM    (913) 642-1777 or (816) 891-3561 |
  | Computer Problem Solving, 8905 Mohawk Lane, Leawood, Kansas 66206-1749 |

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (3673,ATTT) (01/12/90)

In article <481@cpsolv.UUCP> rhg@cpsolv.uucp (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:

>Asked before, but absolutely no responses the last time:

>Does anybody know how to make the On Board Modem of a Unix PC 7300 outgoing
>only?  That is, it can originate calls but not answer them.  Preference is for
>this to be done on ph2, but I suppose ph1 could be used if necessary.  Surely
>there must be a way!  What about making it answer on Nth ring where N > 1?

>  | Richard H. Gumpertz    rhg@CPS.COM    (913) 642-1777 or (816) 891-3561 |

It's not too hard.

Just edit /etc/inittab and turn off the getty, so the machine
will never answer the phone.  I had to do this when i had my 3b1
hooked into my normal apartment phone line.

The entry will look something like:

 ph1:2:off:/etc/getty .... (etc.)

Don't forget that leading space!

Note: I don't have access to my 3B1 right now.  This /etc/inittab
line was done from memory (which is suseptable to caffine overdose)

Hope this helps.

-bill
Bill Rankin				email address:	att!moss!wtr
was: Bell Labs, Whippany NJ				att!bromo!wtr
now: AT&T Federal Systems, Burlington NC  (919) 228 3673 (cornet 291)

andy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andy S Poling) (01/13/90)

In article <481@cpsolv.UUCP> rhg@cpsolv.uucp (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:
>Asked before, but absolutely no responses the last time:
>
>Does anybody know how to make the On Board Modem of a Unix PC 7300 outgoing
>only?  That is, it can originate calls but not answer them.  Preference is for
>this to be done on ph2, but I suppose ph1 could be used if necessary.  Surely
>there must be a way!  What about making it answer on Nth ring where N > 1?

If you want to be able to use the phone line for outgoing calls only, this
is the simple solution I use for my UNIXpc at home:

NOTE: phone lines one and two are really /dev/ph0 and /dev/ph1.  /etc/inittab
refers to the device names in /dev, so we'll change ph1 in this procedure.

	1) configure the line to be a DATA line in the phone setup window.

	2) edit /etc/inittab: change the line starting with
		" ph1:2:respawn:", changing the "respawn" to "off".  Make sure
		you leave the blank space at the beginning of the line.

	3) kill -HUP 1 to tell init to re-read the inittab.

This causes the phone setup to believe that there is a getty on the phone
line - but there isn't.  Thus the line stays set for data calls, but your
UNIXpc will never answer the phone.

I think the relative impossibility of modifying binaries to answer on other
than the first ring has been discussed here before.

-Andy

--
Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY@JHUVMS

mark@mkvpc.UUCP (mark varnell) (01/14/90)

In article <481@cpsolv.UUCP>, rhg@cpsolv.UUCP (Richard H. Gumpertz) writes:

> Does anybody know how to make the On Board Modem of a Unix PC 7300 outgoing
> only?  That is, it can originate calls but not answer them.  Preference is for
> this to be done on ph2, but I suppose ph1 could be used if necessary.  Surely
> there must be a way!  What about making it answer on Nth ring where N > 1?

In /etc/inittab:

 ph1:2:off:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 ph1 1200
       ^^^
       ^^
       ^
       Change from respawn to off. This works for me.
            Mark Varnell mark@mkvpc.UUCP
            {mtune!gladys, kd4nc!gladys, bakerst}!rbdc!mkvpc!mark