[unix-pc.general] Help! - Installing ST4096 on 3B1...

ntj@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (najmi.jarwala) (01/15/90)

Could some one please mail me the following parameters for the
ST4096:

Number of tracks per cylinder: (This I presume is same as number of
heads. 8 before P5.1 upgrade, 9 after P5.1 upgrade. Right???)

Number of sectors per track: ?????

Before proceeding with the P5.1 upgrade (Thanks Brian!) I wanted to
make sure that the ST4096 that I plan to use was alive. I tried to
initialize and format it using the 64M (1024 cyl, 8 heads) miniscribe
definition, (option 9 in Brian's extended diagnostic disk) and before
formatting it gave the error message:

"Hard disk restore failed"

and then proceeded to format anyway with the message:

"formatting cylinder nnn"

at the end of which it gave the error message:

Test: Hard disk test (Drive 0)
Subtest: Format
Error: WINCHESTER: Can't write the new VHB: Response = 10

My assumption is that I'm not formatting it with the right
parameters, or do these messages spell more trouble than that?
Thanks for your help.

---------------------------
Najmi Jarwala
jarwala@ohm.att.com

judy@moray.UUCP (Judy Scheltema) (01/15/90)

In article <1846@cbnewsk.ATT.COM> ntj@cbnewsk.ATT.COM (najmi.jarwala) writes:
>Could some one please mail me the following parameters for the
>ST4096:

Below is my /usr/lib/iv/seagate4096 file:

type		HD2
name		WINCHE
cylinders	1024
heads		9
sectors		17
steprate	0
$
badblocktable	1
loader		/usr/lib/iv/s4load.silent
$
4783
5484
5637
5790
33394
33241
43976
52391
4630
4936
33547
43194
41369
105176
51642
23061
761
70517
$
0
9
369
819
4356
$
$

>Number of tracks per cylinder: (This I presume is same as number of
>heads. 8 before P5.1 upgrade, 9 after P5.1 upgrade. Right???)

Yup..

>Number of sectors per track: ?????

See above - 1024
--
Judy Scheltema                |                     uunet!nuchat!moray!judy
P. O. Box 270249	      |                            shell!moray!judy