[unix-pc.general] libplot.a?

ran@cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert A. Neinast) (01/16/90)

While wandering around /usr/lib, I noticed libplot.a, which contains
arc.o, box.o, circle.o, close.o, cont.o, dot.o, erase.o, label.o, line.o,
linmod.o, move.o, open.o, point.o, space.o, putsi.o.

I don't remember seeing any of this in the documentation.  libplot.a comes
with the Development set.  At first, I thought it might be part of
TAM or GSS, but I can find no references to it.

Anybody know how to use these?  What manual should I look into
to find out?

Thanks,
Bob
--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (att!cblpe!ran aka ran@cblpe.att.com)

hjespersen@rose.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) (01/18/90)

In article <13192@cbnews.ATT.COM> ran@cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert A. Neinast) writes:

>While wandering around /usr/lib, I noticed libplot.a, which contains
>arc.o, box.o, circle.o, close.o, cont.o, dot.o, erase.o, label.o, line.o,
>linmod.o, move.o, open.o, point.o, space.o, putsi.o.
>
>I don't remember seeing any of this in the documentation.  libplot.a comes
>with the Development set.  At first, I thought it might be part of
>TAM or GSS, but I can find no references to it.
>
>Anybody know how to use these?  What manual should I look into
>to find out?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob
>--

libplot.a is used by plot(1) which for some reason is not
part of the standard UNIXpc operating system ( or any utilities
that I know of ). The libplot.a library is supposed to provide
a device independant mechanism for plotting graphic on supported
terminals and printers. Some supported devices (here) include:

Tektronix 4013 storage scope.
Tektronix 4014 or 4015 storage scope with Enhanced Graphics Module.
DASI Hyterm 450 terminal (Diablo mechanism).
DASI 300 or GSI terminal (Diablo mechanism).
DASI 300S terminal (Diablo mechanism).
AED 512 color graphics terminal.
BBN bitgraph graphics terminal.
Imagen laser printer (default 300 dots-per-inch resolution).
DEC vt125 terminal.
Hewlett Packard 2648 graphics terminal.
Hewlett Packard 7221 plotter.
Versatec D1200A printer-plotter.

Apparently the UNIXpc only supports the 4014, 450, and 300 and only
for certain functions (like greek letters), certainly not for
bitmapped graphics. See 300(1), 4014(1), and 450(1) in the User's
Manual or for some real fun try disassembling the following binaries ;-)

     /usr/bin/4014
     /usr/bin/450
     /usr/bin/300
     /usr/bin/300s

--
Hans Jespersen			 ..!uunet!watmath!rose!hjespersen

	"What a long strange trip it's been"