[net.dcom] Cheap 1200 baud modems

gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) (09/09/85)

I have replied to the original poster with a long list of stuff
collated and condensed from the net over the years.  Anybody else who
wants 29Kbytes on 1200 baud modems or 33K on 2400 baud modems, let
me know by return mail.

PS:  My host name is ell-five, not fifteen; reachable via sun,lll-crg,ptsfa.

chip@t12tst.UUCP (C. Rosenthal, SC4-23, x6-7651) (09/14/85)

> From: gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore)
> Date: 9 Sep 85 01:49:00 GMT
>
> I have replied to the original poster with a long list of stuff
> collated and condensed from the net over the years.  Anybody else who
> wants 29Kbytes on 1200 baud modems or 33K on 2400 baud modems, let
> me know by return mail.

May I suggest editing it down to the good stuff and posting it to this
newsgroup with a 1-year expiration date.  That is the way of stemming off
the ever-asked questions.

John, could you send me a copy?  I'd be glad to do this.

By the way, I have cross posted this to net.news.  The "ever-asked
questions" issue seems to be wrangled with there from time to time.

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara, (408) 496-7651
{intelca,idi,qubix,cbosgd}!t4test!chip

johnz@basser.oz (John Zic) (09/30/86)

I am considering buying *cheap* 1200 baud modems to use here in Australia, and
would appreciate comments on brands, and where they are available from.

For example I have seen 1200 baud Volksmodem's advertised in Byte at US$120 from
some stores, while partially built modems are even cheaper.
(aside--just how reliable are these "partially built" modems?)

Please mail responses directly to me,

Thanks,