[unix-pc.general] No more 3B1 power supplies at Halted Specialties

As I and several others discovered today (Friday, 9-Feb-1990), Halted has NO
more 3B1 power supplies; they still have a quantity of 7300 power supplies.

I even checked their warehouse.  Sigh.  Seems "someone" bought a very large
quantity recently.

I'm going to check out a few other surplus houses while doing my marketing
Saturday and will report back any findings.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Sigh.  No more 3B1 power supplies are to be found in ANY surplus store in
Silicon Valley; all places from San Jose to Cupertino to Milpitas, Fremont
and up to Oakland were checked (other people were looking, too, per reports
I received by e-mail).

However, we (the AT&T Users' Group secretary and I) did find the following
items at Computer Surplus Solutions (also known as "Weird Stuff Warehouse"):

1)  UNIXPC Foundation Set Version 3.51, brand new with original shrink wrap,
    manuals, etc.   Price sticker was $225.   One (1) copy only (located in
    the front counter display case).

2)  Mouse balls for UNIXPC mouse.  These are NOT your everyday "standard"
    Logitech balls ... these are specially weighted (much, MUCH heavier than
    standard mouse balls) and are the ONLY ones that work properly in the
    UNIXPC mouse.  $1 each.  Located in a counter-top display case near the
    front of the store.   Finally, at last, my eunuched UNIXPC mouse is
    "whole" again!  :-)

3)  Motorola 6300 system, complete with RS-422 display terminal.  $1,400.
    This machine is object-code-compatible with the AT&T UNIXPC and the
    Convergent Safari 4 and MiniFrame series.

4)  a few UNIXPC keyboards with cosmetic flaws.  $20 each.  No mice and no
    cords.

That place is incredible; 150,000 square feet of floor space, with 40' high
ceilings.  They also had some LARGE AT&T monitors but I have no idea what
model numbers.  If you want to call or visit them:

	Weird Stuff Warehouse		(next to Atari Games)
	715 Sycamore Drive
	Milpitas, CA  95035		408/434-0168

The DeAnza College (Cupertino) computer flea market had a few vendors with
some misc.  UNIXPC software (dBASE III, Supercomp, etc.) for around $75 each,
but the flea market was closing as we got there and didn't have time to check
it out completely; perhaps next month (2nd Saturday every month in the Student
Lounge).

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

trw@usna.MIL (tsmith <trw@usna>) (02/13/90)

In article <26789@cup.portal.com>, thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> As I and several others discovered today (Friday, 9-Feb-1990), Halted has NO
> more 3B1 power supplies; they still have a quantity of 7300 power supplies.

I'm a virtual newcomer to this machine (having just acquired 2) but what
precisely is the difference??  I thought the 3b1 and the 7300 were the
same machine.

bill gunshannon

:
"> As I and several others discovered today (Friday, 9-Feb-1990), Halted has NO
"> more 3B1 power supplies; they still have a quantity of 7300 power supplies.
">
"I'm a virtual newcomer to this machine (having just acquired 2) but what
"precisely is the difference??  I thought the 3b1 and the 7300 were the
"same machine.
"
"bill gunshannon

The 3B1 supply is 245W with 5A at 12VDC, the 7300 supply is 195W with 3.5A
at 12VDC; both supply 20A at 5VDC.  The -12VDC comes in several variations
depending on revision level; doesn't seem to make any practical difference.

Other differences:
	1) 3B1 powers its hard drive directly from power supply; 7300 powers
	   its hard drive off the motherboard.
	2) different model of TEAC floppy drive (3B1 has spring-eject, and
	   seems quieter)
	3) 3B1 keyboard has a "writeable" strip above function keys
	4) 3B1 has "hump" at case center for full-height hard drive
	5) 3B1 has one fan, (most) 7300s have two fans

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (02/14/90)

In article <26893@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>The 3B1 supply is 245W with 5A at 12VDC, the 7300 supply is 195W with 3.5A
>at 12VDC ...

>1) 3B1 powers its hard drive directly from power supply; 7300 powers
>   its hard drive off the motherboard.

Which reminds me, I have a 7300 and a 3B1 power supply that I'd
like to stick in it.  I know instructions on the necessary changes
have been posted but I can't find any copies in my archives.  Can
somebody out there please post the instructions again?  Thanks!

--
Karl Swartz			 |UUCP	uunet!apple!zygot!ditka!kls
1-408/223-1308			 |INet	zygot!ditka!kls@apple.com

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (02/15/90)

In article <26893@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
[]
"	2) different model of TEAC floppy drive (3B1 has spring-eject, and
"	   seems quieter)
"	3) 3B1 keyboard has a "writeable" strip above function keys

this was a running change in production; one of my 7300s has both, the
other neither.

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	|	 But I thought we were *ALL* iconoclasts!      |

tkacik@rphroy.UUCP (Tom Tkacik) (02/16/90)

>trw@usna.MIL (tsmith <trw@usna>) in <363@usna.MIL> writes:
>"I'm a virtual newcomer to this machine (having just acquired 2) but what
>"precisely is the difference??  I thought the 3b1 and the 7300 were the
>"same machine.

In article <26893@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Other differences:
>	2) different model of TEAC floppy drive (3B1 has spring-eject, and
>	   seems quieter)

I bought a 7300 at the Vartech fire sale last year, and it's floppy also
has a spring eject.  Perhaps this was not a difference between them as much
as a design change.

The floppy disk is in a rather awkward position, and the spring eject
is a very welcome feature.  I wish my older 7300 also had it.

--
Tom Tkacik		GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090
uunet!edsews!rphroy!megatron!tkacik		Work Ph: (313)986-1442

edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) (02/21/90)

In article <26789@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>As I and several others discovered today (Friday, 9-Feb-1990), Halted has NO
>more 3B1 power supplies; they still have a quantity of 7300 power supplies.

Interesting that this subject should come up right now. Over the weekend
my 3b1 seems to have lost its power supply. My clues? The entire thing
just died, I was out of the room when it happened but the entire machine
is dead. No fan, no video, nothing.

Do 3b1 power supplies have a reputation for failure?

BTW, have your every tried to find someone to fix a 3b1? It ain't easy.
Here I am in the heart of Silicon Valley and people act like my machine
is from another planet! "Is that a 6300?" "I've never seen one of those."
"Uh, we could look at it but we'll have to order any parts, why don't you
call AT&T?" etc...

How DO you go about getting a 3b1 fixed?
--
Edward C. Bennett - The other MMDF guy			edward@twg.com
The Wollongong Group					(415) 962-7252

alex@otter.acslab.umbc.edu (Alex S. Crain) (02/21/90)

In article <169@gollum.twg.com> edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) writes:

>How DO you go about getting a 3b1 fixed?

	I've been dealing with these people and the work and prices are
good *BUT* they are extremly disorganized. My experiance goes like:

	I sent them a 67meg miniscribe in December, along with a check
for $250.06+tax.

	They returned the disk and check in january, with a note (written
in magic marker) that said only "Sorry, We can not fix your disk?".

	I called them, and was told that they were out of the parts when
they sent the disk back, but they have the parts now.

	I returned the disk to them, and I'm waiting for it now, two months
after I sent it to them originally. They told me that its been shipped, so
I should get it this week.

	They were very courtious over the phone, and the price is right,
so I post this experiance as a warning rather then a flame. I've heard good
and bad reports from others, and as far as I know, everything always works
out in the end. Anyway, here's the info :

	***** REPOST FROM OCT 6 1988 ***** PRICES HAVE CHANGED *****

Well, I just got a new unixpc motherboard back from San Leandro CA, after
shipping my old one to them for repair, and thought I should relay to the
net how everything went.

First, I'd like to thank Gary Butler for posting the note describing all this
(excerpts below), and also Ben Wollberg of AT&T who was very patient, and
informative on the phone when I called.

Here's the deal, if you have some flakey/bad components in your unixpc, and
you want to swap them out, you can send the defective ones to Ben, and he'll
send back refurbished ones that work. The price list is as follows:

(this is from Gary's article)

> 	Motherboard     120.75  Repairable
			[ ^ this price has gone up to 160.00 ]
> 			300.00  Replacement Price approximate
>
> 	Power Supply    45.00   Repairable
> 			75.00   Replacement Price approximate
>
> 	Hard Disk       115.00 to
> 			200.00  Replacement Price approximate
>
> 	Floppy Disk     45.00   Repairable
>
> The repairable price is just that, all other prices are exchange but the
> component you are bringing in is unrepairable, such as the motherboard
> burnt up because the fan failed.
>
> All components and parts carry a 90 day warranty.
>
> They also have 64K and 256K memory chips that you can buy for replacement
> or upgrade. These chips sell in sets of 18 for 40.00 or if you want to
> buy refurbished chips the sets go for 28.00. What they do to refurbish
> the chips I didn't ask and don't know.

	[ They will also install sockets on the memory chips, or blank ]
	[ sockets for you on the motherboard, for a reasonable fee.    ]

> Ben also said that if you have modified the motherboard to handle the
> larger disk that they would still take the board as repairable exchange.
>
> He did recommend that if you had installed any chips you wish to save
> that you should take them off the board before you bring it in for
> exchange as they will not swap chips for you.

	[ I took my PAL chip off the motherboard, that gave me greater ]
	[ than 9 head access to the hard disk before I sent it in. Now ]
	[ all I need to do is re-wire it in on the new motherboard.    ]

> The address and phone number follow, if you have any further questions
> you may call them or you can send me email and I will get the answers.
>
> 	Address 2200 Williams at Doolittle in San Leandro
>	Phone   (415) 678-1355 Supervisor or
> 		(415) 678-1353 Ben Wollberg

Here are some reasons why you may consider sending in your motherboard, even
if it's in good working oorder...

My motherboard was a very old 0.5M board (fully populated 64k memory chip set),
that was not working properly. The new motherboard came in with 1M on it (for
which I did not pay, it was potluck) and had some white wires on it which
presumably are the latest and greatest hardware upgrades (I have not confirmed
this). If I had the time, I would have soldered in sockets in the other half
of memory, and upgraded to a full 2MB on board, and put in the P5.1 upgrade
like I had before!

The entire exercise took about 10 days (I mailed it in on a Sat, and I got it
back a week later on Tues), and I think I got a great deal.

Feel free to mail me if you have any other questions.

-Craig Votava

[att!]looney!cmv

	************** END OF REPOST *****************
#################################		:alex.
#Disclamer: Anyone who agrees   #    University of Maryland Baltimore County
#with me deserves what they get.#	alex@umbc3.umbc.edu
#################################

edward@twg.com (Edward C. Bennett) in <169@gollum.twg.com> writes:

	BTW, have your every tried to find someone to fix a 3b1? It ain't
	easy.  Here I am in the heart of Silicon Valley and people act like my
	machine is from another planet! "Is that a 6300?" "I've never seen one
	of those." "Uh, we could look at it but we'll have to order any parts,
	why don't you call AT&T?" etc...

	How DO you go about getting a 3b1 fixed?

Ed and I discussed his problem today by phone, and I invited him to the next
meeting (next week, 28-Feb-1990) of the AT&T Users' Group, South Bay UNIX
(meeting in the AT&T site at 1090 E. Duane Avenue in Sunnyvale at 7PM; there
should also be an announcement in the San Jose Mercury News' COMPUTING CALENDAR
this Sunday; forget the announcement in COMPUTER SHOPPER ... that one is all
screwed up).

An announcement will soon be made publically for "A Small Computer Repair Co."
whose charter is to fix and repair AT&T 6300, 7300, 3B1, UNIXPC, and like
computers.  The AT&T San Leandro (CA) site is being closed down, so if you
used to send your computers there for repair you'll want to keep an eye out
for the ``ASCRC'' announcement; that San Leandro site is(was) the world-wide
AT&T repair center for 6300, 7300, 3B1, UNIXPC, and like computers.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]