[unix-pc.general] 3.5 FIXDISK

vjg@cbnews.ATT.COM (vincent.j.guinto) (02/22/90)

In article <791@ceres.UUCP> rlp@ceres.UUCP (Robert L. Platt) writes:
>I installed the FIXDISK for 3.51m on top of a 3.5.1.4 base
>(ie. vanilla 3.5 + 3.5 FIXDISK).  I installed the disk
>MANUALLY - by unpacking with cpio, and then inspecting
>the 'Info', and 'Install' files.  I ended up not updating
>uucp (it would have clobbered HDB).  So far it's
>been operating for 27 hours and 18 minutes without
>any sort of prob$%*&:-)

There was a 3.5 FIXDISK? I never heard of this before!

I can't buy 3.51 for my 7300 (it's a work machine, and such
budgetary "fluff" isn't allowed), so fixing 3.5 is appealing
to me. I have two questions:

1. what does the 3.5 FIXDISK fix?

2. can I get it anywhere?

Actually, my 7300 works pretty much to my satisfaction with
3.5, but if I can get the 3.5 FIXDISK contents free somewhere,
I'd like to install it anyway (maybe it fixes the obnoxious
Telephone Manager that dies every three days).

Any leads would be appreciated!

Vince Guinto                                 att!cblph!vjg
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Columbus, OH

rlp@ceres.UUCP (Robert L. Platt) (02/23/90)

In article <14227@cbnews.ATT.COM>, vjg@cbnews.ATT.COM (vincent.j.guinto) writes:

> There was a 3.5 FIXDISK? I never heard of this before!
>
> I can't buy 3.51 for my 7300 (it's a work machine, and such
> budgetary "fluff" isn't allowed), so fixing 3.5 is appealing
> to me. I have two questions:
>
> 1. what does the 3.5 FIXDISK fix?
>
> 2. can I get it anywhere?

The 3.5 fix disk (which upgrades you to 3.5.1.4) is available
from AT&T (assuming that you registered with them when you
got your UNIX-PC) - call 1-800-922-0354 (or 1-800-245-2480 in
Canada).  The fix disk is FREE.  I used to have a list of
fixes - but removed it when I upgraded to 3.51m.  3.51m is
also free, and available from either AT&T or by anonymous
uucp or anonymous FTP from Ohio State Univ.

Bob Platt
osu-cis!n8emr!ceres!rlp