[unix-pc.general] ups for 3b1

motteler@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Howard E. Motteler) (03/21/90)

Does anyone know how the 3b1 power supply holds up when fed the square
wave output typical of most UPS's?  I know this causes a problem for
some switching power supplies.

Any favorite brands?  I see James Electronics is selling a 200w
"trip-lite" brand UPS for about $240, and for a while, ERAC was
selling 400 watt Elgars, with "cosmetic defects" for only $180.

--
Howard E. Motteler       |  Dept. of Computer Science
motteler@umbc3.umbc.edu  |  UMBC, Catonsville, MD 21228

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (03/26/90)

In article <684@nz8r.UUCP> gwr@nz8r.UUCP (Gregory W. Ratcliff) writes:

>Your square wave ups should
>work just fine, in fact the supply may like it better than AC.
>If you try it out please post the results.

I have been using a Tripp-Lite BC-325 to power my 3B1 and 2400 baud
external modem ever since last summer.  We have really unreliable power
here (I live in a very rural area) and experience numerous blackouts and
brownouts.  This UPS has worked fine with my system on a number of
occasions.  I got around 40 minutes of backup time in one instance.

The computer is perfectly happy with the square wave power from what
I can tell, though the monitor exhibits some "waviness" (wouldn't want
to have to look at it *too* long like that :-).

I picked up this unit after a real nasty power hit wiped out my disk
and (of course) my backup procedures had been less than "ideal"....
My advice to anyone who values their time (let alone their hardware)
is to get some kind of UPS!  I got mine for about $300 from Jameco,
but I saw an ad for the same model for under $250 in this months
Computer Shopper...

elliot@alfred.UUCP (Elliot Dierksen) (03/26/90)

In article <1990Mar26.053828.15880@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
> In article <684@nz8r.UUCP> gwr@nz8r.UUCP (Gregory W. Ratcliff) writes:
> >
> >Your square wave ups should
> >work just fine, in fact the supply may like it better than AC.
> >If you try it out please post the results.

I have an American Power Conversion 450 AT which uses modified sine wave
output and has a 1 ms transfer time. I use this to keep my 3B1 & it's
expansion unit up. I decided to get a UPS after the Xmas brownouts ate my 3
week old HD. Ho, Ho, Ho!!  :-(   I have tested this one several times and it
has worked. This particular unit was reccomended to me by name by a guy at
the Hotline. He used to work for a VAR that sold lots of 3B1's and he had
good luck with these units. I got mine for ~ $330 out of Computer Shopper.
450 watts in case you hadn't guessed.  Just for those of you that don't have
reference manuals, the only comment it makes is that the power usage is
supposed to <= 400 watts. You might be able to get by providing less, but it
doesn't sound like a very good idea to me....

EBD
--
Elliot Dierksen        "I don't care if my lettuce has DDT on it,
                        as long as it's crisp!!" -- Jorma Kaukonen