[unix-pc.general] MGR - I have some suggestions - can we talk?

bes@holin.ATT.COM (Bradley Smith) (03/29/90)

I have some things for those of you out there using MGR.

First of all, I love it - those of you who think you might want to
try it, should.  The programming interface to the screen and mouse
is so much more natural.  The only thing is I still need the windowing
for is DOS-73 graphics,  but  text DOS-73 stuff runs (sort of).
I am working ontrying to figure out if ua works with out the window
driver installed(did I miss something here, appears not to).

But on with the disccusion. Below are some thoughts/suggestions
open that I would like to here more about.

1 -  First of all I took the select/pty that came with MGR and
     put it in the socket code (yes the select was much cleaner
     than my way, but I not afraid to say it!).  So now I have
     MGR code working with alex's socket (UNIX domain).  Makes
     using code for both easier (yes there is now code in the
     new select for sockets as well).

2 -  added function key definition to set_emacs (maybe we should make
     this a 'BBB1' ifdef.

3 -  I would like to add a menu item to the reshape to create a new
     window. Sometimes I have the whole window used and want another
     window, I guess one could use 'left-control(next to space) n' or
     'left-control(next to space) N'. But a menu item would make it
     more complete.

4 -  Maybe make the newwindow (when using mouse) allow different
     emulators (see next note).  Currently you get a 'MGR' term.

5 -  I am working on taking the 'Vtem' source and making it work
     under MGR (I did that).  but I want to make it look like other
     things then just a vt100 (maybe via terminfo or a driver that
     you write and recompile in).  Any way if this gets working
     I might want to have this come up if selecting a new window.
     FYI: I am working on saving a buffer like xterm so you can

So what else is going on?

brad smith
--
Bradley Smith
Telecommunications Solutions Development

rhaar@rcsac1.UUCP (Bob Haar CS50) (03/29/90)

In article <930@holin.ATT.COM> bes@holin.ATT.COM (Bradley Smith) writes:
>I have some things for those of you out there using MGR.
>
>I am working ontrying to figure out if ua works with out the window
>driver installed(did I miss something here, appears not to).

From what I know about the User Agent (UA), it will not run under mgr
without changing one or the other. I don't suppose that we can get our
hands on the source for UA, can we? On the other hand, it should be
straight forward to re-implement a UA look-a-like with the same
functionality - or even improve on it. Shall we give it a try?

Does anyone know if the SMART software will run under mgr?

	Bob Haar
	GM Research Labs

lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr10.064200.17245@i88.isc.com> botton@i88.isc.com
(Brian D. Botton) writes:
|>In article <4613@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> horn@rt5.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) writes:

[...]
|>>fun now to actually program on instead of just have because it's unix that I
|>>could afford.  So I'm all for anyone doing anything with mgr.  Speaking of
|>>which . . . is Lenny going to port sysinfo to mgr . . . ? . . . please?
|>>Or maybe I should start this endeaver?
|>>

|>  How about it Lenny?  Something like perfmeter, or is that perfmon, on the
|>Suns would be real nice.

Sounds like a nice project for me.  As soon as things calm down, here I
might be able to do it.  Right now since I'm actively looking for a new
job (anyone have a suggestion in this department?), this is taking up
a lot of my time.  Fighting the flu doesn't help either.

When I wrote sysinfo I never dreamed it would be such a hit.  I guess now
I'd miss not having something there telling me what's going on.  I guess
with MGR you could easily hack sysinfo to just print the stuff, instead
of call the ioctl's to write to the UNIX pc SLK lines.  That way you
could invoke a small 80 character x 2 line window with this running in it.
That's probably the quick hack...  Anyone have a better suggestion?
Maybe a graphical representation of the load avereage and filesystem (like
an gas gauge of sorts) would be nice...

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny@icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |