[unix-pc.general] UNIXPC trivia

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (08/13/90)

I was going thru my stuff today and found some sales literature for
our good ol' friend, the UNIXPC, circa 1985.  It's quite a hoot!
True, the UNIXPC was a powerful machine back in '85, but it shows
how far we've really come.

"The AT&T UNIXPC Model 7300 is simply today's most advanced, user-
friendly, and versatile desktop computer system.  It offers the best
of the three worlds of microcomputing: easy-to-use on-screen menu
prompts that you select with a mouse; power and speed that make it
one of the most powerful computers you can buy; plus built-in voice
and data communications so sophisticated, yet easy to use, that you
know only AT&T could bring them to you.  The AT&T UNIX PC - the first
personal computer that has it all and does it all!"

"The AT&T UNIX PC provides you with a friendly interface between
you and its UNIX System V operating system."

Am I the only one who still uses the windowing system?

A picture shows the versatility of the movable monitor.  Another one
shows a UNIXPC in the lab right next to nasty looking chemicals,
attatched to two terminals.  However, they put the picture in backwards,
as the flashing red LED shows up on the right side (the disk drive too)!

"The power means processor speed - 10 MHz of it; loads of built-in
memory - 512k, with possible expansion to 2MB... high speed modem...
Data storage is on a choice of 10- or 20-MB hard disk and 1/2-MB
floppy disk."

It seems that the ad agency dosn't know what unformatted capacity is.
Thank goodness we can go to 4MB RAM and 100s of MBs disk now.

"It uses multiple windows to make multi-tasking easier, so that no
matter what file or kind of work you're doing, an interruption won't
force you to close up shop and start a new file.  Instead, just
select a window for a memo pad, or to make a phone call.  When the
interruption is finished, you can go back to doing wheat you were
doing before - all without missing a beat."

Unless, of course, you open more than 11 windows.

Well, I guess at least one good thing did come out of AT&T
diversification.  I always wondered why AT&T tried to push
something as complicated as UNIX into desktop business applications,
but I guess it kinda makes sense since, of course, they own the
license on UNIX.  Still, I guess we're all lucky this mishmash
of a machine didn't quite make it out in the real world, as
it allowed all of us to make quite a steal on a machine that is
almost perfect for running news and mail leaf nodes.  I think
AT&T would have sold more machines had they targeted at that
market.

Okay, well, that's enough for now.  In a future article, I
will relate tales of the early years of the UNIXPC and my
dad's experience with it at Convergent.  I will also tell
you about the summer I tested keyboards for this beast as
a well paid temporary worker and all about the little known
telephone keyless touchscreen terminal that's supposed
to accompany these machines (and my little trip to Dow
Chemical in Michigan, but that's another story)...

--
Todd Day |   todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us   |  ucsbcsl!ivucsb!todd
	"I believed what I was told, I thought it was a good

lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug13.032211.3575@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
|>I was going thru my stuff today and found some sales literature for
|>our good ol' friend, the UNIXPC, circa 1985.  It's quite a hoot!
|>True, the UNIXPC was a powerful machine back in '85, but it shows
|>how far we've really come.
[...]
|>Data storage is on a choice of 10- or 20-MB hard disk and 1/2-MB
|>floppy disk."

Are you sure it just said 1/2 MB?   I seem to remember the humor of seeing
1 1/2MB 5.25" double sided/double density floppy drive (unformatted) - 48TPI.
Sure, right .. tell me another.

|>telephone keyless touchscreen terminal that's supposed
|>to accompany these machines (and my little trip to Dow
[...]
Well I forget the model, but AT&T had a telephone, computer terminal pair
(was it the 510?) that looked like a minature PC7300, with a builtin-phone.
They (CT) even had a version of "TAM" called "Touch TAM", that would
convert the touching of the screen on that machine to TAM-equivalent
escape codes.  Imagine that, touching the "Filecabinet" to open it up, and
then touching the "file" to edit that ...  Reminds me of the days of
light-pens! ;-)

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano           ICUS Software Systems        lenny@icus.ICUS.COM |
| {ames,pacbell,decuac,sbcs,hombre,rayssd}!icus!lenny   attmail!icus!lenny  |

dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) (08/14/90)

In article <1244@icus.ICUS.COM>, lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> Well I forget the model, but AT&T had a telephone, computer terminal pair
> (was it the 510?) that looked like a minature PC7300, with a builtin-phone.
> They (CT) even had a version of "TAM" called "Touch TAM", that would
> convert the touching of the screen on that machine to TAM-equivalent
> escape codes.  Imagine that, touching the "Filecabinet" to open it up, and
> then touching the "file" to edit that ...  Reminds me of the days of
> light-pens! ;-)

Yes, it was the 510.  Two models: the 510-A and the 510-D.  The -A
model was analog, and could connect with two telephone lines.  One
was normally used for speaking, the other with the internal modem.
The -D was the digital model, which would connect only with the AT&T
System 85 and System 75 PBXs.  It uses DCP (a proprietary digital
link similar to but not compatible with ISDN) and provides 64 kbit
voice and data connectivity with other PBX endpoints.  It could
provide up to four call-pickup buttons, and a number of feature
buttons, as well.

The screen (and optional keyboard) emulated a VT-100, including
132-col mode, and smooth-scroll.  The handset and internal
speakerphone emulate a 2500 set on the 510-A, and a 7400 digital set
on the 510-D.  On the -D, if your PBX had all of the optional
features working, the screen normally shows pictures of line, hold,
conference, and speed-dial buttons.  You touch them, and place a
call.  When someone calls you, a button-symbol blinks and the
caller's number or name are displayed next to the blinking button.
If you invoke the internal directory, names are displayed on the
screen.  You "reach out and TOUCH someone" and it dials their
number.

And yes, if you used it to log into a UNIX-PC running TAM, you got
"Touch Target TAM" on your 510 screen.  The touch screen, actually,
used optical techniques very much like a light-pen.  When you
touched the screen, your finger-pressure dimpled a transparent
flexible piece of plastic.  Some transparent jelly was sandwiched
between this piece of plastic and another, against the CRT face.
The dimple would reflect light from the CRT screen toward some photo
detectors at the corners of the screen.  The sense electronics
connected thereto would receive a pulse of light and correlate it
with the position of the raster scan, and determine what you had
touched on your screen.

A very neat terminal, as I recall.  Probably one of the most
expensive telehpones ever offered for sale.  Also, a rather costly
VT-100 emulator.  But, like the flying submarine, it was a better
telephone than most data terminals, and a far better data terminal
than most telephones!

--
Dave Levenson			Voice: 908 647 0900  Fax: 908 647 6857
Westmark, Inc.			UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (08/14/90)

lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
%Are you sure it just said 1/2 MB?   I seem to remember the humor of seeing
%1 1/2MB 5.25" double sided/double density floppy drive (unformatted) - 48TPI.

That's on the back.  It says
1 1/2 MB 5-1/4" double-sided double-density drive (unformatted) -48 TPI

Most people read that as
(1 + 1/2) MB
but I think they meant
1 (1/2 MB)

%Well I forget the model, but AT&T had a telephone, computer terminal pair
%(was it the 510?) that looked like a minature PC7300, with a builtin-phone.
%They (CT) even had a version of "TAM" called "Touch TAM", that would
%convert the touching of the screen on that machine to TAM-equivalent
%escape codes.  Imagine that, touching the "Filecabinet" to open it up, and
%then touching the "file" to edit that ...  Reminds me of the days of
%light-pens! ;-)

Yep, I'm pretty sure it was the 510.  I don't believe it had a keyboard,
though, only a telephone touchpad.  I have some interesting stories about
that (see next couple articles).  One of the options on the touch screen
was to bring up a picture of a keyboard so you could use that for data
entry.  The reason you don't see these machines in surplus land is that
most of them ended up in AT&T internal (including a large chunk of the
UNIXPC inventory).  I actually did see ONE of these guys hooked up to
a UNIXPC, with the UA running.  Come to think of it, there MUST have been
some kind of external keyboard interface...

--
Todd Day |   todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us   |  ucsbcsl!ivucsb!todd
	"I believed what I was told, I thought it was a good
	 life, I thought I was happy.  Then I found something
	 that changed it all..."	   --- Anonymous, 2112

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (08/14/90)

Here's some humorous quotations from a brochure I got from Technology
Resource Center (TRC) in California in 1988, when I bought my unix pc.
These are REAL!!

"The data communications components deliver REAL DEC VT-100 emulation
[their emphasis] (in 80 or 132 columns!)"

"Remember, [TRC] is selling this unit at horrific savings."

"That's our price for an exhaustive four user system."

"The UNIX PC comes standard with AT&T's three button mouse --
ideal for selecting, pulling, stretching, and clicking."

"For those of you who refuse to eat quiche, simply turn off the window
environment and work directly with the Unix operating system."

"If you prefer talking to computers instead of people, the UNIX PC offers
full VT100 terminal emulation [...].  If your friends prefer to talk to your
computer instead of you, the UNIX PC supports dial-in VT100 terminals."

"If you get the occasional Intel itch, the UNIX PC can scratch it. [...]
Imagine, with this option you get the best of both worlds: Unix _and_ MS-DOS"

					David

cjc@ulysses.att.com (Chris Calabrese[mav]) (08/14/90)

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
% lenny@icus.ICUS.COM (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
% [stuff about floppy disk drive deleted...]
%
[...]

The keyboard was an optional accessory for the 510.  I think they came
bundled if you ordered the 510a.

They're _real_ popular as gee-whiz phones around AT&T.  The surplus
was probably used up a long time ago.

We're, getting ISDN phones that you can control from an RS232 port
soon, which ought to be even better (a phone controlled from windows
on my Sun perhaps?)
Name:			Christopher J. Calabrese
Brain loaned to:	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ
att!ulysses!cjc		cjc@ulysses.att.com
Obligatory Quote:	``pher - gr. vb. to schlep.  phospher - to schlep light.philosopher - to schlep thoughts.''

gnome@cbnewsj.att.com (ronald.l.fletcher) (08/15/90)

In article <652@westmark.UU.NET>, dave@westmark.UU.NET (Dave Levenson) writes:

> Yes, it was the 510.  Two models: the 510-A and the 510-D.  The -A
> model was analog, and could connect with two telephone lines.  One
> was normally used for speaking, the other with the internal modem.
> The -D was the digital model, which would connect only with the AT&T
> System 85 and System 75 PBXs.  It uses DCP (a proprietary digital
> link similar to but not compatible with ISDN) and provides 64 kbit
> voice and data connectivity with other PBX endpoints.  It could
> provide up to four call-pickup buttons, and a number of feature
> buttons, as well.

Well actually 3 models, the "D" model had an early vintage which
did not have an EIA port.

> The screen (and optional keyboard) emulated a VT-100, including
Was it optional? I never saw one without it.

> 132-col mode, and smooth-scroll.  The handset and internal
> speakerphone emulate a 2500 set on the 510-A, and a 7400 digital set
> on the 510-D.  On the -D, if your PBX had all of the optional
> features working, the screen normally shows pictures of line, hold,
> conference, and speed-dial buttons.  You touch them, and place a
> call.  When someone calls you, a button-symbol blinks and the
> caller's number or name are displayed next to the blinking button.
> If you invoke the internal directory, names are displayed on the
> screen.  You "reach out and TOUCH someone" and it dials their
> number.
>
> And yes, if you used it to log into a UNIX-PC running TAM, you got
> "Touch Target TAM" on your 510 screen.  The touch screen, actually,
> used optical techniques very much like a light-pen.  When you
> touched the screen, your finger-pressure dimpled a transparent
> flexible piece of plastic.  Some transparent jelly was sandwiched
> between this piece of plastic and another, against the CRT face.
> The dimple would reflect light from the CRT screen toward some photo
> detectors at the corners of the screen.  The sense electronics
> connected thereto would receive a pulse of light and correlate it
> with the position of the raster scan, and determine what you had
> touched on your screen.
>
> A very neat terminal, as I recall.  Probably one of the most
> expensive telehpones ever offered for sale.  Also, a rather costly
> VT-100 emulator.  But, like the flying submarine, it was a better
> telephone than most data terminals, and a far better data terminal
> than most telephones!

Any idea what these things retailed for?

Funny a 510 discussion should start now, the lab next door
just trashed 4 of these. I walked by them for a week and the
hardware hacker in me got the better of me. There must be some
neat application for a touch-screen. It took 3 of them
to get 1 fully functional 510D with EIA port. I hooked it up DCP-wise
to a System 75 and ran its internal tests and played awhile.
Pretty neat. I havent had a chance to hook it up to a UNIXPC
yet, but I will soon.

These were a hot item internally for a while, but with the advent
of PC-PBX (DCP interface for UNIXPC or PC6300) they became passe'.

I was told that a number of retiree's got 510A's for a going away
present.

					Ron Fletcher
					att!mtgzy!rlf

nigel@isgtec.UUCP (Nigel Burnett) (08/16/90)

yes the 510 is a weird beastie - you used to be able to buy the opt
ional keyboard for it  - it came with a 'garage' to keep it in.  I
tried using it as a unix terminal once with only the squishy keyboard.
What a drag - the '/' was on the alternate keyboard!

Never could find a keyboard for it even though Convergent made it
(I think) - amde a pretty fancy telephone to impress your friends and
neighbours.

Nigel (ex CT - victim of the Unisys "merger" )