[unix-pc.general] 3b1 motherboard question

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) (12/03/90)

On my 2 Meg motherboard at location C38, there is a capacitor whose
legs are touching.  Can somebody tell me if they have the same situation.
The capacitor is right next to the 1st row of 256K memory chips(location A2).

Since I've been having so many 'parity error' crashes, I'm hoping that
maybe this is the culprit.

Here is a basic diagram of what I see:

	    ------
	   /      \
	   |      |
	   |      |
	   \      /
	    ------
	     /  \
	     |  /
	     | /
	     |/ <---------- Touching right here!!
	     /\
	    /  \
	   /    \
        solder  solder

I know the drawing sucks but I think it gets the idea across.
Is this something that I should be worried about (causing my crashes?)
or is it like this by design?

--
Rex Fowler <rmfowler%texrex@cirr.com>
UUCP:  egsner!texrex!rmfowler

rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) in <1990Dec3.045132.399@texrex.uucp> writes:

	On my 2 Meg motherboard at location C38, there is a capacitor whose
	legs are touching.  ...

	Since I've been having so many 'parity error' crashes, I'm hoping that
	maybe this is the culprit.

That was a GOOD diagram you drew!  Electronic components are NOT designed
for aerial or elevated connections like you depict, so I'd suggest using a
toothpick (or some other small, non-conducting tool) and "pry" those legs
apart WITH THE SYSTEM POWERED OFF.

"Chances are" (and DON'T ask me to sing that!) there is no permanent damage.

If you have a VOM or DVM you may wish to verify the +5VDC supply is still
within the +/- 5% tolerance (i.e. +5.25 to +4.75) and make any adjustments if
it is not.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

hashemi@leadsv.UUCP (Rahmat O. Hashemi) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec3.045132.399@texrex.uucp> rmfowler@texrex.uucp (Rex Fowler) writes:
>On my 2 Meg motherboard at location C38, there is a capacitor whose
>legs are touching.  Can somebody tell me if they have the same situation.
>The capacitor is right next to the 1st row of 256K memory chips(location A2).

This could indeed be the cause of your problems.

The capacitor is between the power/ground pins, so if the legs are
intermittently touching each other, they are causing a power-to-grouns short.

Hope that you did seperate the legs, and hope that helped you :-) .