[unix-pc.general] modem control

rdc30med@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil (LCDR Michael E. Dobson)
in <1990Dec17.161947.9000@nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil> writes:

	They still don't do it properly, at least on my 3B2/600G (aka 1000/80)
	running SysVr3.2.2.  In order to dial out with cu or uucp, I have to
	force DCD high which effectively means I can't do full modem control
	on bi-directional lines.  It seems uugetty is still broken :-(

The SVR3 HDB does work correctly, but the "stock" SVR3.2 documentation does
NOT tell you how to do it (the SVR3.2/386 manuals DO, however).  The info can
also be found in the "stock" SVR3.2 "Utilities Release Notes."

I had this problem about a year ago and really created a stink about it here on
the net (remember my: "...even put Mother Theresa on a killing rampage..."? :-)

If you're unable to find the previous info archived, repost your query and I'll
repost all the info again.  It seems the HDB bi-directional setup instructions
SHOULD be reposted monthly in light of all the questions about it (due to poor
and inadequate docs) arising here and in other newsgroups.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

hack@moxie.lonestar.org (Greg Hackney) (12/19/90)

Thad P Floryan writes:
> I had this problem
> repost your query and I'll repost all the info again.

What is the book solution for modem control? That document was not in
the pile of release notes and manual upgrades for my 3B2 S5R3.2.2 OS.

I don't have any hardware manuals, but it appears that DCD is crossed
with DSR in the 8 conductor 3B2 AT&T RJ type Modem connectors.
To use 'cu', I had to force DCD high on my modem, that is until I
rewired the connector:

25 pin           8 conductor RJ
to modem         towards computer

   1 ---< Frm Grd >---- 1