[unix-pc.general] Ksh

arnold@skeeve.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) (06/01/89)

In article <711@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>Well I found out in "vi-mode" you can do <ESC>_ and it will do exactly like
>the !$ in csh... so ksh is as good ;-)  I'm sure in emacs-mode there is
>an equivalent keystroke too..

There are about a zillion things you can do in ksh you can't do in csh.
I know of *no-one*, and have never heard reports of, anyone who has switched
back to csh from ksh.  Unix-pc people are out of luck, but, if you can get
ksh88, it can be compiled to do csh style {...,...} expansion, which is the
only feature of note that the csh still had.  Even the version of ksh that
comes with the Unix-PC, which is old, beats the heck out of any version
of the csh.

I have been using ksh for over 4 years, and wouldn't dream of trying to
use any other shell.  Dave Korn's book on ksh is available, and thoroughly
(if a bit dryly) documents both the programming language and the interactive
history interface.

In short, ksh is the only way to go.  Note: if you've never used ksh,
don't even bother trying to follow up to convince me otherwise.
--
"Crack-pot societies of all kinds sprang up everwhere, advocating everything
from absolutism to anarchy. Queer cults arose, preaching free love, the

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (06/02/89)

In article <170@skeeve.UUCP> arnold@skeeve.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) writes:
[]
"			Unix-pc people are out of luck, but, if you can get
"ksh88, it can be compiled to do csh style {...,...} expansion, which is the
"only feature of note that the csh still had.  Even the version of ksh that
"comes with the Unix-PC, which is old, beats the heck out of any version
"of the csh.

i have ksh-88 src (uncompiled as yet).  i would be willing to
distribute unix-pc object, but i don't know the legalities
involved.  anyone out there care to advise?

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Null Fu-Tze		|		LEARN HOW TO AVOID RIPOFFS!	       |

arnold@skeeve.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) (06/03/89)

In article <7073@cbnews.ATT.COM> mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) writes:
>i have ksh-88 src (uncompiled as yet).  i would be willing to
>distribute unix-pc object, but i don't know the legalities
>involved.  anyone out there care to advise?

Highly illegal.  If your management catches you, big trouble.  I wish it
were a different story, but such is life.

Better suggestion: is there any way to get ksh88 on to the next Fixdisk?
Failing that, any way to get it into THE STORE! ?
--
"Crack-pot societies of all kinds sprang up everwhere, advocating everything
from absolutism to anarchy. Queer cults arose, preaching free love, the
imminent end of the world, and many other departures from the norm of thought."
E.E. "Doc" Smith, Children of the Lens, 1954 | Arnold Robbins, skeeve!arnold

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (02/01/91)

I recall some people discussing the recent version of KSH
that is out (available through the toolchest for a nominall $$FEE$$).

Well, I had a thought:  if someone KNEW someone who HAD this src
and the license, etc... maybe we could work out a deal where the
person would compile it for the 3b1 and distribute it for a small
fee (or free?)... depending on what the legalities are...

Anyone have any leads?

Forrie
--
Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP