[unix-pc.general] Benchmark articles posted

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (02/17/91)

In article <1071@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
>I've posted two articles, one to ONLY comp.sys.3b1,
>and the other ONLY to unix-pc.general.
>These two articles are <1068@hico2.UUCP> and <1069@hico2.UUCP> .
>If aliasing is working correctly, somewhere the unix-pc.general
>article will start appearing in the comp.sys.3b1 group.

  [...]
>SUMMARY FOLLOWS
>===============
>(all articles considered were posted to ONE newsgroup)
>
>Systems that I haven't seen comp.sys.3b1 articles come through,
>that I have seen unix-pc.* articles come through:

  [...]
>sharkey
  [...]
>umich
  [...]
>wa8tzg

Hmmmm.  Here at wa8tzg I get fed from sharkey which is happily feeding
me BOTH unix-pc.* AND comp.{sys | sources}.3b1.  umich also feeds pmsmam
(my machine at work) BOTH groups.

I know I'M running Cnews (15-Dec-1990) with the unix-pc.* aliased to
comp.{sys|sources}.3b1.  I think sharkey is also a Cnews site.

This MAY be munging up your statistics.
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/19/91)

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) in <1991Feb16.223633.893@wa8tzg.mi.org> writes:

	In article <1071@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
	>>I've posted two articles, one to ONLY comp.sys.3b1,
	>>and the other ONLY to unix-pc.general.
	>[...]
	>>Systems that I haven't seen comp.sys.3b1 articles come through,
	>>that I have seen unix-pc.* articles come through:
	>>
	>  [...]
	>>sharkey
	>  [...]
	>>umich
	>  [...]
	>>wa8tzg
	>
	>Hmmmm.  Here at wa8tzg I get fed from sharkey which is happily ...
	>This MAY be munging up your statistics.

BTR.COM is getting a ton of comp.*.3b1 and unix-pc.* material and is fed by
only decwrl, mips and fernwood ... systems which Kris indicated are NOT feeding
3B1 properly.

PORTAL isn't getting diddly-squirt, but that's their problem.  :-)

OK, so WHERE or HOW are all the 3b1 postings arriving at BTR?  Via some magical
"ether" net on which one uses Philosopher's Stone transceivers and crystal
terminators with little winged faeries twiddling the bits?  :-)

In case anyone's interested, I have archived EVERYTHING appearing in the
comp.*.3b1 newsgroups.  The compressed tar file is already approaching 1MB, so
please do NOT ask me to email it to you.  I plan to make it available at the
users' group meeting this month and perhaps something can be worked out by
US Mail for anyone interested.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]