[unix-pc.general] ".GIF" files

steveb@ombrage.mi.org (Steve Barber) (02/06/91)

In article <57@morwyn.UUCP> forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) writes:
>I'm not sure how long ago I posted this, but because of the problems
>some people are having with the new groups, I decided to post this
>request one more time.  Pardon the inconvenience!  :)

I had problems getting mail to you the first time (your system name was
not recognized by my internet forwarder), so I'll post this this time:

>I'm looking for a way to view standard ".GIF" files on the 3B1...
>there MUST be a way... but I have no idea, and would appreciate it
>if someone out there could let me know.

Yes, there's a way.  Download the PBMPLUS utilities, and then pick up
my pbmto3b1 program from osu-cis.  You'll need libpbm.a from the PBMPLUS
stuff to compile pbmto3b1, and you'll need the other PBMPLUS utilities to
do the format conversions.  Once you've got it all built, you can do this:

giftoppm < filename.gif | ppmtopgm | pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1

(I did this with a gifto3b1 script on my system.)

Let me know if you have any problems.
Steve Barber  [steveb@ombrage.mi.org]

bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) (02/22/91)

In article <993@gnosys.svle.ma.us> gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
>In <1991Feb7.204039.5842@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM>
>	bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) writes:
>
>>cat filename.gif | remsh cray giftoppm '|' ppmtopgm '|' pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1
>>:-)
>
>I've never understood why some people insist on using cat(1) to get stuff
>into the standard input of the lead program in a pipeline.  I claim that:
>
>	cat a | b | c
>
>is entirely equivalent in result to:
>
>	b < a | c
>
>Right?

Yes, it could have been:
< filename.gif remsh cray giftoppm '|' ppmtopgm '|' pgmtopbm | pbmto3b1

(it was based on a pipeline using cat in the previous posting,
and was intended as humour (note the smiley)-- the previous
poster asked if there was a way to do the conversion in less than
3 minutes)

Note that I've put the redirection first above; that preserves
the data flow from left to right, which is also evident in the
pipeline using cat.
--
    Bruce Lilly, Product Manager,      | bruce@Broadcast.Sony.COM
    Digital Television Tape Recording, | uunet!sonyusa!sonyd1!bruce

gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us (Gary S. Trujillo) (02/24/91)

In <843@argon.UUCP> ebh@argon.UUCP (Ed Horch) writes:

> >	cat a | b | c
> >
> >is entirely equivalent in result to:
> >
> >	b < a | c

(And, as Bruce Lilly recently observed, it's also equivalent to

	< a b | c

which David might like better, since it preserves his left-to-right
ordering.

> There may be a performance cost due to creating an additional
> process for "cat a", but a smart shell will know how to short-
> cut around that.

I guess it was the performance cost that concerned me most - it just
requires an extra process and takes system buffers unnecessarily.
What's this about a "smart shell"?  I've never heard of a shell that
optimizes commands.  It seems inherantly very difficult to recognize
that the two commands listed above are equivalent, since it requires
a knowledge of what cat(1) does.  What shell are we talking about here?

Actually, this discussion probably doesn't belong in the unix-pc news-
groups, but I appreciate everyone's tolerance.  And now we return you
to your regular programming...  :-)

Gary
--
    Gary S. Trujillo                            gst@gnosys.svle.ma.us
Somerville, Massachusetts              {wjh12,bu.edu,spdcc,ima,cdp}!gnosys!gst

forrie@morwyn.UUCP (Forrie Aldrich) (02/26/91)

I'm curious ...

Is there a way to SCAN pictures (via your typical scanner) into the 3B1?

I'm interested in scanning some photos, etc... and in turn creating
GIF files...

Please let me know if it's possible.  I assume too that it would require
special software to do this... wonder if any has been written?

Thanks!

Forrie
--

Forrest Aldrich, Jr.|   ...uunet!eci!morwyn!forrie       |forrie@morywn.UUCP