[unix-pc.general] unix-pc rmgroup due next week

jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) (05/11/91)

Remember the vote, folks?

Per the vote, next week there will be another round of newgroup
control messages for comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1, followed
by rmgroup control messages for the unix-pc groups.
--
Jan Isley  jan@bagend  {known universe}!gatech!bagend!jan  (404)434-1335

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May10.194046.19312@bagend.uucp> jan@bagend.uucp (Jan Isley) writes:
|Remember the vote, folks?
|
|Per the vote, next week there will be another round of newgroup
|control messages for comp.sys.3b1 and comp.sources.3b1, followed
|by rmgroup control messages for the unix-pc groups.

	I've decided not to rmgroup these, in
	case there's still folks who for some
	reason wish to use them, for whatever
	reasons they might have...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (05/14/91)

In article <53168@rphroy.UUCP> tkacik@hobbes.cs.gmr.com (Tom Tkacik CS/50) writes:
|In article <100166@becker.UUCP>, bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
||> |

||> 	I've decided not to rmgroup these, in
||> 	case there's still folks who for some
||> 	reason wish to use them, for whatever
||> 	reasons they might have...
|
|I think that is mistake.  The only reason for using them is to talk about
|the unix-pc.  Since that is now done with comp.*.3b1, there is no reason to
|keep the groups.  The only use they will get is the occasional pc unix
|question.  They probably will not get their questions answered, as there will
|be few people reading those groups.  There are already groups for that,
|and keeping the unix-pc groups will only confuse those new readers.

	Nevertheless, I've decided that I don't
	have the right to interfere with any of
	those uses, as inefficient as it may be
	viewed by anyone not using them...

--

jon@turing.acs.virginia.edu (Jon Gefaell) (05/15/91)

In article <100419@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>||> |

>|I think that is mistake.  The only reason for using them is to talk about
>|the unix-pc.  Since that is now done with comp.*.3b1, there is no reason to
>|keep the groups.  The only use they will get is the occasional pc unix
>|question.  They probably will not get their questions answered, as there will
>|be few people reading those groups.  There are already groups for that,
>|and keeping the unix-pc groups will only confuse those new readers.
>

>	Nevertheless, I've decided that I don't
>	have the right to interfere with any of
>	those uses, as inefficient as it may be
>	viewed by anyone not using them...
>

>--
>  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
>a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
> `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!utai!mnetor!becker!bdb
> _< /_	 "It's the death of the net as we know it (and I feel fine)" - R.A.M.

I don't understand where this attitude is coming from... There was a VOTE
and in keeping with that FORMAL vote, the old groups need to be removed.

It is counterproductive to the goals and intents of the users of these
groups that you, Mr. Becker, unilateraly decide (for no apparently good
reason, by your admission) to throw a spanner in the work. RMGROUP THEM

Please.

Thank you. *sheesh*
--
____ Mr. Jeffersons Academical Village.
\  / #include <std.disclaimer.h>    Flames to:  hostmaster@Virginia.EDU

john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) (05/16/91)

|I don't understand where this attitude is coming from... There was a VOTE
|and in keeping with that FORMAL vote, the old groups need to be removed.
|
|It is counterproductive to the goals and intents of the users of these
|groups that you, Mr. Becker, unilateraly decide (for no apparently good
|reason, by your admission) to throw a spanner in the work. RMGROUP THEM
|
|Please.
|
|Thank you. *sheesh*

I hate to sound like a shit-disturber, but don't forget, in spite of
voting guidelines and all that, Usenet is essentially an anarchy, and
if Bruce doesn't want to honour the rmgroup, well, so what?  That's
his prerogative as a sysadmin, and it doesn't ``throw a spanner in the
works'', unless a lot of people feel like he does, in which case the
group might as well be kept around for those people.

For my part, albeit with some sadness and feelings of nostalgia, I
will probably rmgroup the _first_ ``alternate'' Usenet hierarchy.  So
long, unix-pc.  It's been fun.

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.053820.26650@chance.UUCP> john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) writes:
||I don't understand where this attitude is coming from... There was a VOTE
||and in keeping with that FORMAL vote, the old groups need to be removed.

||It is counterproductive to the goals and intents of the users of these
||groups that you, Mr. Becker, unilateraly decide (for no apparently good
||reason, by your admission) to throw a spanner in the work. RMGROUP THEM

||Please.

|I hate to sound like a shit-disturber, but don't forget, in spite of
|voting guidelines and all that, Usenet is essentially an anarchy, and
|if Bruce doesn't want to honour the rmgroup, well, so what?  That's
|his prerogative as a sysadmin, and it doesn't ``throw a spanner in the
|works'', unless a lot of people feel like he does, in which case the
|group might as well be kept around for those people.

Normally, you're right - after all, who cares whether Bruce has an extra
empty directory and active file entry.  On the other hand, Bruce is the
guy who keeps newgrouping alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.145918.13958@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> jon@turing.acs.virginia.edu (Jon Gefaell) writes:
|In article <100419@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
|>
|>	Nevertheless, I've decided that I don't
|>	have the right to interfere with any of
|>	those uses, as inefficient as it may be
|>	viewed by anyone not using them...
|>

|>--
|>  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
|>a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
|> `\o\-e	 UUCP: ...!utai!mnetor!becker!bdb
|> _< /_	 "It's the death of the net as we know it (and I feel fine)" - R.A.M.
|

|I don't understand where this attitude is coming from... There was a VOTE
|and in keeping with that FORMAL vote, the old groups need to be removed.
|
|It is counterproductive to the goals and intents of the users of these
|groups that you, Mr. Becker, unilateraly decide (for no apparently good
|reason, by your admission) to throw a spanner in the work. RMGROUP THEM
|
|Please.

	FORMAL votes apply ONLY to the "big 7", i.e.
	"comp, misc, news, rec, sci, soc, talk".
	"unix-pc" isn't part of the formal UseNet,
	it's just using the same facilities, just
	like "biz, bionet, vmsnet, alt, gnu, ...".

	There was substantial difference of opinion
	among the members of "unix-pc" as to its
	eventual demise - I'm merely providing for
	the (admittedly minority) concerns of those
	who felt that it should remain.

	Also I suppose that if the "Unix-on-a-PC"
	crowd started using it, the eventual outcome
	might be to the common good, since it might
	lead to a lessening dependence on the evil
	drug msdos 8^)...

--

In article <1504@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:

|Normally, you're right - after all, who cares whether Bruce has an extra
|empty directory and active file entry.  On the other hand, Bruce is the
|guy who keeps newgrouping alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.

	...another dumb remark from chris the spiky, sigh...
	I'm not going to repeat why my concerns here are
	very different to what happens in "alt" - that
	discussion doesn't belong in this forum.

--

scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.053820.26650@chance.UUCP> john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) writes:
>|I don't understand where this attitude is coming from... There was a VOTE
>|and in keeping with that FORMAL vote, the old groups need to be removed.
>
>I hate to sound like a shit-disturber, but don't forget, in spite of
>voting guidelines and all that, Usenet is essentially an anarchy, and
>if Bruce doesn't want to honour the rmgroup, well, so what?  That's
>his prerogative as a sysadmin, and it doesn't ``throw a spanner in the
>works'', unless a lot of people feel like he does, in which case the
>group might as well be kept around for those people.
>
>For my part, albeit with some sadness and feelings of nostalgia, I
>will probably rmgroup the _first_ ``alternate'' Usenet hierarchy.  So
>long, unix-pc.  It's been fun.

In case anyone forgot, the rules for "formal votes" only count for the
mainstream groups, not alternative groups like unix-pc.  The vote to
CREATE comp.sys.3b1 was valid but not the vote to REMOVE unix-pc.*

just my  US$0.16 worth...

scott

ps. I'm not deleting the group.

--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                        scott@skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.            ..!gatech!dscatl!daysinns!skypod!scott

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (05/19/91)

In article <101136@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>In article <1504@ecicrl.ocunix.on.ca> clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) writes:

>|Normally, you're right - after all, who cares whether Bruce has an extra
>|empty directory and active file entry.  On the other hand, Bruce is the
>|guy who keeps newgrouping alt.swedish.chef.bork.bork.bork.

>	...another dumb remark from chris the spiky, sigh...

Gee, I don't know why you're getting all offensive Bruce, I just stated
a simple fact without any personal opinion.  (Spiky?  spiky?  Like wow,
nobody's ever called me *that* before!  I wonder what the hell it means?)

But since you bring it up, let's be *perfectly* clear, *are* you going to newgroup
the unix-pc groups if someone rmgroups them?  No beating around the bush -
what are you going to do?

[If voting doesn't apply to unix-pc groups and you seem to be threatening
to newgroup them after they were voted down, why did you rmgroup can.english
where voting doesn't apply either?  You're not very consistent]
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May18.124144.3192@skypod.uucp> scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) writes:
>In article <1991May16.053820.26650@chance.UUCP> john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) writes:
>>|I don't understand where this attitude is coming from... There was a VOTE

	[ ... ]

>In case anyone forgot, the rules for "formal votes" only count for the
>mainstream groups, not alternative groups like unix-pc.  The vote to
>CREATE comp.sys.3b1 was valid but not the vote to REMOVE unix-pc.*
>
>just my  US$0.16 worth...
>
>scott
>
>ps. I'm not deleting the group.

	I have already unaliased the unix-pc.* groups on my machine. (I feed
nobody.)  I would request that those who keep unix-pc.* around to please
also unalias it, especially those sites running B-news.  I have no objection
to those who so desire keeping it around, but I would rather not have
systems shoehorning "unix on a pc" artilces from there (where I can read or
ignore as I desire) into the comp.sys.3b1 group. where I cannot see any
reason for the mistaken posting to occur.

	Since I am a leaf node, I'll probably keep the groups in my active
file for a while to see if there IS any traffic once the aliasing stops
muddying the waters, but there will be no POSTINGS in those groups from this
site.

	Please, let us not start a flame war over something like this.

	Thanks
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

jgo@mcgp1.UUCP (John Opalko, N7KBT) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May16.053820.26650@chance.UUCP> john@chance.UUCP (John R. MacMillan) writes:
|>It is counterproductive to the goals and intents of the users of these
|>groups that you, Mr. Becker, unilateraly decide (for no apparently good
|>reason, by your admission) to throw a spanner in the work. RMGROUP THEM
|
|I hate to sound like a shit-disturber, but don't forget, in spite of
|voting guidelines and all that, Usenet is essentially an anarchy, and
|if Bruce doesn't want to honour the rmgroup, well, so what?  That's
|his prerogative as a sysadmin, and it doesn't ``throw a spanner in the
|works'', unless a lot of people feel like he does, in which case the
|group might as well be kept around for those people.

Mr. Becker is free to keep whatever groups he wishes on his machine.  I just
hope he doesn't reply to every rmgroup message with a newgroup, as he is
(in)famous for doing in the alt hierarchy.

The rmgroup will be honored, and the groups aliased, here and on n7kbt.

			John Opalko
			jgo@mcgp1.uucp     (work)
			john@n7kbt.wa.com  (home)

dts@quad.sialis.com (David Sandberg) (05/21/91)

In article <5025@mcgp1.UUCP> jgo@mcgp1.UUCP (John Opalko) writes:
>The rmgroup will be honored, and the groups aliased, here and on n7kbt.

You meant "unaliased", I hope?

--
 \*=-      David Sandberg, dts@quad.sialis.com    ,=,       ,=,        -=*\
  \*=-   "like words whispered by waking ghosts   | |uadric `=,ystems   -=*\