[att.sys.unixpc] 7300's speaker sounds/beeps/etc

lenny@icus.UUCP (11/28/87)

In article <877@cblpf.ATT.COM> dar@cblpf.ATT.COM (David A. Roth) writes:

>A strange thing happened that I can't explain or reproduce.
>I was using my UNIX-PC
>in vi and noticed that the 'bells' that sound when you hit the escape
>key sounded very different. Almost like a buzzer instead of the beep
>you normally hear. So I got out of vi and did some other things that
>would make the bell sound and it still sounded strange. I can't recall
>exactly what I did but the strange sound went away and it returned to
>normal.

This seems to happen when the internal speaker for the modem/bell isn't
set back to normal status.  When you dial out, the touchtones/
dialtones/busy/etc... signals are directed through the speaker.  Sometimes
you terminate the dialling abnormally and the speaker stays to "ON" status.
Now someone dials in... and you hit a CONTROL-G (bell), the bell noise is
blended with the 1200 baud carrier noise from the person communicating on
the modem.  This usually is fixed when the person logs off and the speak
is put back to its normal state.

I haven't seen this happen in anything but HDB (HoneyDanBer UUCP) for the
UNIX PC, but I assume it could happen in both.

>All this made my wonder if they speaker in the UNIX-PC was capable of
>making other sounds other than the beep. I recall being shown how the
>Burroughs B20 was able to play music and produce synth speech without
>the aid of a chip to do so. I recall it had something to do with the
>forming of a wave pattern in 8086 and it would produce any sound you
>wanted, so I was told.

As far as making rudimentary music or synthesis, I'm not sure.  The Voice
Card is the way to go for something like that.

							-Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1