[comp.windows.x] X Window annoucement for the IBM PC/RT

DAN@IBM.COM.UUCP (02/18/87)

TITLE      IBM RT PERSONAL COMPUTER (RT PC) (TM) X-WINDOWS (TM)
ABSTRACT          IBM RT PC X-Windows is a windowing system that provides
   simultaneous views of several executing programs or processes on
   bit-mapped high resolution RT PC displays.  It includes support for
   multiple RT PC displays on a local area network (LAN).  This
   windowing system is a tool designed for end users and application
   developers.  It is designed to help enhance the overall system
   usability and the user interface for existing RT PC applications and
   applications being developed.
          One-time Charge:  $650
          Planned Availability Date:  September 25, 1987
   RT, RT PC and RT Personal Computer are trademarks of IBM Corporation.
   X WINDOWS is a trademark of MIT.
OVERVIEW   HIGHLIGHTS
   o   Simultaneous windows with multiple processes per window
   o   A specific character size and style associated with each window
   o   Includes many popular windowing functions
   o   Local and remote RT PC windows
   o   Designed to support graphic and character based applications that
       run on the RT PC
   o   Library of C functions to interface applications with X-Windows
   DESCRIPTION
   o   IBM RT PC X-Windows is a tool designed to help enhance the
       usability of the application processing environment.  Facilities
       are provided for end users working with existing applications as
       well as application developers who are primarily designing and
       implementing new programs.
   o   X-Windows permits multiple application processes to operate
       within a given window and can have multiple simultaneous windows
       on an RT PC display.  Windows are managed by end users or
       application programs.  Each window may be hidden, with only an
       icon to note its existence, or it may be completely obscured, or
       partially obscured by an overlapping window(s).  An obscured
       window can be updated by either the end user or an application
       program.
   o   Each window can have a specific character style and size
       associated with it.  Additionally, each window can have its own
       keyboard mapping.  This capability permits character sets
       available on the RT to be connected to a specific window.
       Keyboard mapping can address any of the RT PC characters to
       provide a National Language Support (NLS) capability for non-U.S.
       applications.
   o   X-Windows provides many of the popular window management
       functions such as:
       -   Create/cancel a window
       -   Vary window size and location on the RT display
       -   "Pop" a window to the foreground or background.
   o   X-Windows provides the ability to manage local and remote RT
       windows.  Remote display management is accomplished with other
       RTs that are connected on an Ethernet (TM) local area network
       (LAN) and that are also running the X-Windows software package.
   o   X-Windows is designed to support graphic applications (see
       Limitations section) as well as most character-based RT
       applications such as the INed (R) and the Usability Services
       components of the AIX operating system and the IBM RT Personal
       Computer 3278/79 Emulation program.  Each window can handle text
       and graphics data.  Many existing character-based applications
       can be run without any change.  To provide assistance in
       displaying and handling graphics data, an extensive set of
       graphic primitives is available in X-Windows.
   o   This licensed program provides a library of C functions to
       interface end users or applications with X-Windows servers.
       Following are some of the major components of IBM RT PC
       X-Windows.  Through various commands and CALLs, end users or
       application programs can acquire the services or access the
       functions of X-Windows:
       -   Establish local RT PC as the terminal server for end users
           and applications on the same or other RTs in the network
       -   Emulate a DEC (TM) VT100 (TM) or a virtual high function
           terminal in keyboard send/receive (KSR) mode
       -   Provide automatic user logon to the windowing system at
           beginning of terminal session
       -   Print window image to a bit-map printer
       -   Builds a keymap file to correlate keystroke/keyboard output
           mapping
       -   Displays time in a separate window in either digital or
           analog form
       -   Opens and monitors full screen (virtual terminal)
           applications from inside the window in which it was opened
       -   Provide access control for the local RT PC display i.e., a RT
           user of X-Windows must gain permission to use another's RT PC
           display terminal for input/output.
            Ethernet is a trademark of Xerox, Inc.
     INed is a registered trademark of Interactive Systems Corporation.
     DEC is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.
     VT100 is an ASCII terminal that adheres to the ANSI 3.64 protocol
     as implemented on the DEC VT100.
TECHINFO   TECHNICAL INFORMATION
   SPECIFIED OPERATING ENVIRONMENT
   HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:  The X-Windows product requires an IBM RT PC
   6150 or 6151 Micro Computer equipped with the following options:
   o   One or more of the following RT PC displays and its adapter:
       -   IBM 6153 Advanced Monochrome Graphics Display
       -   IBM 6154 Advanced Color Graphics Display
       -   IBM 6155 Extended Monochrome Graphics Display
       -   IBM 5081 Models 016 or 019 with an IBM Megapel Display
           Adapter
       -   IBM RT Personal Computer Mouse (#8426)
   SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
   o   IBM RT PC Advanced Interactive Executive (AIX) Operating System
       Version 2.1
   PREREQUISITES:  To use RT PC X-Windows with RTs connected on an
   Ethernet LAN, the following items must be installed on each RT
   interacting with X-Windows across the network:
   o   IBM RT PC AIX Operating System Version 2.1 properly configured
       for its Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
       component
   o   IBM RT Personal Computer Baseband Adapter (#6810) for use with an
       Ethernet local area network (LAN).
   LIMITATIONS:  Existing graphics applications that were not developed
   using the graphic primitives of X-Windows such as those applications
   based on the Advanced Graphics Display Library (GSL) component of the
   AIX operating system and the IBM RT Personal Computer graPHIGS
   licensed program will require modification to allow them to use the
   IBM RT PC X-Windows licensed program.
   PLANNING INFORMATION
   PACKAGING:  The RT PC X-Windows program will be shipped with:
   o   Three 1.2 MB program diskettes
   o   One IBM RT PC X-Windows publication
   o   IBM Program License Agreement.
   NOTE:  In addition to the base set of programs that comprise
   X-Windows, an assorted set of sample application programs is included
   as is to assist users in learning and exploring windowing
   capabilities.
   EDUCATIONAL ALLOWANCE:  A 15% educational allowance toward eligible
   license charges is available to qualifying institutions in accordance
   with the Educational Allowance Amendment.  The educational allowance
   is not additive to any other discount or allowance.
   CHARGES
                     SINGLE
                     UNIT          PROGRAM
                     ONE-TIME      TYPE/        FEATURE      QDA
   DESCRIPTION       CHARGE        MODEL        NUMBER     CATEGORY
   IBM RT PC
   X-Windows         $650          5601-077     4524          B

avolio@decuac.DEC.com.UUCP (02/18/87)

This is a nit and I suspect it is something unchangeable -- like
trying to get the press to use `crackers' instead of `hackers' --
but...  X WINDOWS is *not* a trademark of anyone.  The X WINDOW SYSTEM
is, however...  It is a pain to see large company's (DEC included in
some publications) getting this wrong.  Help stamp out the term
X-Windows

-Fred-

chris@EE.UCLA.EDU.UUCP (02/19/87)

Talking about IBM charging people for the device dependent interface...

Has anyone come up with a driver for the QVSS display for the microvax

			Chris Valcke (chris@EE.UCLA.edu)

avolio@decuac.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <8702190510.AA19633@ee.UCLA.EDU>, chris@EE.UCLA.EDU (Christian Valcke) writes:
> Talking about IBM charging people for the device dependent interface...
>
> Has anyone come up with a driver for the QVSS display for the microvax

Well, of course.  I mean, I have one on my system...  Oh.  You mean
someone other than DEC...  Nevermind. :-).