[net.news.group] Whither net.pattern-recognition? net.ai.vision?

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (07/13/85)

It seems as if discussions about image processing will take place in
net.graphics.  Pattern recognition is related to image processing.  Do
discussions about this subject take place in net.graphics?  Or is
net.ai more appropriate?  Net.ai seems to be more occupied with
inference, lisp, and prolog, which bore me to tears.  Something like
net.ai.vision would be more appropriate.

Until there is sufficient traffic to warrant the creation of a
newsgroup, where should pattern recognition discussions be kept?
net.graphics, net.ai, or net.misc?

Is anyone else out there interested in pattern recognition?  Does
anyone have a rudimentary character recognition program for use with
either binary or grey-scale images?
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (07/15/85)

In article <824@turtlevax.UUCP> ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) writes:
>It seems as if discussions about image processing will take place in
>net.graphics.  Pattern recognition is related to image processing.  Do
>discussions about this subject take place in net.graphics?  Or is
>net.ai more appropriate?  Net.ai seems to be more occupied with
>inference, lisp, and prolog, which bore me to tears.  Something like
>net.ai.vision would be more appropriate.

image processing is only a small application of pattern recognition.
in my opinion, net.math.stat is a better place, though i suppose with
much work still going on in syntactic PR, here is a good a choice as
any.  the discussions of LISP/PROLOG/C also have me bored to tears.
the best AI language, or for that matter, the best programming language
has yet to be designed, and will be obsolete by the time it's
standardized.

another pet peeve of mine is that almost all the AI work i've seen
lately is completely ignores errors in input.  unless all relevant
parameters of a problem can be defined and measured or recreated in the
analysis process, the inputs are a stochastic process, not neccesarily
stationary.  LISP/PROLOG deal with assertions, but i have seen little
discussed here that deals with the reliablity of an assertion and its
influence on any results.

most of my work is in classical PR theory, so i may have just not read
the right papers.  if i am wrong and there is work going on in this
area, then i'd like to hear about it.

>Is anyone else out there interested in pattern recognition?  Does
>anyone have a rudimentary character recognition program for use with
>either binary or grey-scale images?

i have a program that uses a combination of filtering and relaxation to
detect clouds in unenhanced LANDSAT images.  i have no idea how good it
is because i've only tested it on one image.  it was able to segment
the image as well as the eye could on the same image.  does someone
have a set of LANDSAT or related images that they would like to test it on?

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu