[comp.windows.x] remote xterm icons disappearing

wohler@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM.UUCP (02/26/87)

X10R4, dec 24 release.  xterm 6.6A2.

  remote xterms  started with uwm, such as in the following menu entry,

foo:	!"rsh foo xterm =80x33+463+143 \\#+764+16 -ls -n foo &"

  will die if their icons need to fix damage (ie. if the icon was
  previously covered, and then exposed).

  xterms started locally, as in this menu entry, don't die as such.

xterm:		!"xterm =80x33 \#+720+16 &"

						--bw

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <8702252309.AA00475@sri-c3-5> wohler@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Bill Wohler) writes:
>X10R4, dec 24 release.  xterm 6.6A2.
>
>  ... remote xterms started with uwm ...  will die if their icons
>  need to fix damage (ie. if the icon was previously covered, and
>  then exposed) ...
>
>  xterms started locally, as in this menu entry, don't die as such.

I had this problem too until I removed a specification for
xterm.IconFont from my .Xdefaults.  It was rather inconvenient (:-),
especially in the case that the icon that needed to do damage repair
was my login window - down went the server and all my tools!

In a related vein, how do I get ActiveIcon and AllowIconInput, along
with some identifying label attached to the icon?
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cb{osgd,att}!osu-eddie!bob
 (614) 292 - 0915 or (614) 292 - 5813

wohler@sri-spam.UUCP (02/27/87)

In article <3234@osu-eddie.UUCP> bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <8702252309.AA00475@sri-c3-5> wohler@SPAM.ISTC.SRI.COM (Bill Wohler) writes:
>>X10R4, dec 24 release.  xterm 6.6A2.
>>
>>  ... remote xterms started with uwm ...  will die if their icons
>>  need to fix damage (ie. if the icon was previously covered, and
>>  then exposed) ...
>>
>>  xterms started locally, as in this menu entry, don't die as such.
>
>I had this problem too until I removed a specification for
>xterm.IconFont from my .Xdefaults.  It was rather inconvenient (:-),
>especially in the case that the icon that needed to do damage repair
>was my login window - down went the server and all my tools!

bob,

  yeah, that solution is very intuitive, isn't it?  unfortunately, i
  don't have the luxury of having an Xdefaults xterm.iconfont entry to
  remove.

  my system is a sun-2/50 by the way running sun os 3.2.  others have
  told me about this problem as well.  is there a fix out there?  ed?

							--bw

henry@garp.UUCP (02/27/87)

Yup.  I have the same problems on my RT PC except local xterms lose,
also.  They end up terminating on a SIGFPE.

Henry Mensch                           <henry@garp.mit.edu>
       {ames,cca,rochester,mit-eddie}!garp!henry