[comp.windows.x] Wanted: information about X "terminals"

michael@sequent.UUCP (03/01/87)

I have heard speculation, both on the net and in person, about the
potential for X "terminals" - that is, a HW/SW product which would
perform as a display server for X "right out of the box." Does
anyone have any concrete information about such beasties? I'm
interested in expected availability, cost, features, communications
mechanism (ether? rs232?), etc.

			Thanks,
			Michael Squires
			Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.
			15450 SW Koll Parkway
			Beaverton, OR  97006
			(503) 626-5700
			michael%sequent%tektronix.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET

aek@apple.UUCP (03/01/87)

In article <2464@sequent.UUCP>, michael@sequent.UUCP (Michael Squires) writes:
> I have heard speculation, both on the net and in person, about the
> potential for X "terminals" - that is, a HW/SW product which would
> perform as a display server for X "right out of the box." Does
> anyone have any concrete information about such beasties? I'm
> interested in expected availability, cost, features, communications
> mechanism (ether? rs232?), etc.

AED in Sunnyvale is building a two-board graphics display for VME and
Qbus systems that directly supports the X V10 protocol. It has a 68020
processor running a message-based multitasking kernel in prom that knows
about X, VT100 and TEK4125 protocols. The display processor board has a
resolution of 1280 * 1024 * 8

The boards are just going into beta test, but i've seen one work and it
looks pretty neat..

AED
440 Potrero Ave
Sunnyvale, CA