[comp.windows.x] Uwm extensions, perhaps - resizing/namestripes etc

MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET.UUCP (03/02/87)

mnetor!yetti!geac!len@seismo.css.gov  (Leonard Vanek) in
<554@geac.UUCP> writes:-

> In article <9884@sri-spam.istc.sri.com> wohler@sri-spam.UUCP (Bill Wohler)
>  writes:
> >
> >>For example, have sensitive areas on borders of
> >>windows that can be used to resize them;
> >
> >  please, no!  not having to go to the namestripe or border is one of
> >  the features that makes x a "faster" system than suntools.
> >
> I second that! I am not familiar with Suntools, but I find Macintosh
> windows hard to use because the Mac requires such precise mouse
> positioning to get at the correct control in the window borders
> or to get at part of the information near the edge of the
> window.

I third that!  I *have* used Suntools, and I find it three
and a half times worse even than Macintoshes - just too
great a precision in mouse positioning is required.

Niall

riedl@PURDUE.EDU (03/02/87)

Several people have argued against allowing uwm to recognize banners
as valid mouse contexts.  The main argument is that this interface
requires careful aim with the mouse.  Possibly true, but the advantage
of having a clear distinction between application and window manager
mouse events far outweighs the inconvenience for me.  I don't see why
this is such a hot topic, though.  Since uwm seems committed to
allowing users to choose their own key bindings I'm happy as long as
I'm permitted to specify the banner as a distinct context for mouse
events.

John Riedl
{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!purdue!riedl  -or-  riedl@mordred.cs.purdue.edu

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (03/02/87)

There have been a flurry of votes in this group against windows with
active borders. I really don't think we should be voting here, but I do
want to balance the unsided view we've been getting.

I don't like the meta-left-click uwm interface I'm using right now. It
requires to much of my mind-power to remember what does what. I'd rather
save my brain for the problems I'm being paid to deal with, and have
active borders that respond to all mouse buttons, with and without any
modifier bits, in the same way.

It would also be nice if, when friends call for help, I could walk over to
their tube and use the same commands I use in my own account. Sigh, I just
can't get everything I want. (see next para.)

The conclusion of course, is that X is doing the right thing by not
forcing one choice or the other. As long as we can each get or write the
window manager we want, we'll be happy.

wohler@sri-spam.UUCP (03/03/87)

In article <2655@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>It would also be nice if, when friends call for help, I could walk over to
>their tube and use the same commands I use in my own account. Sigh, I just
>can't get everything I want. (see next para.)

  sure you can.  kill their uwm, and then run "uwm -f ~oster/.uwmrc&".

		      					--bw

eirik@tekcrl.UUCP (03/04/87)

In article <9909@sri-spam.istc.sri.com> wohler@sri-spam.UUCP (Bill Wohler) writes:

>  sure you can.  kill their uwm, and then run "uwm -f ~oster/.uwmrc&".
>
>		      					--bw

What if they started X using 'xinit uwm'?