[comp.windows.x] Running X programs to access displays on remote machines

arm@wobegon.UUCP.UUCP (03/11/87)

I am running on a Sun 3, using release 3.2 of Sun's operating system.
I am having trouble with running a program on one machine to write
to a display on the other. We have X version 10, release 4.

I do the following:
	On one machine, I run xinit to create an X display and that
	works fine. I can start xclocks, xterm windows, GNU emacs, etc.
	Call this machine "mya"

	On the other machine, call it "myb", I try to do the following
	to run the clock remotely:
		% setenv DISPLAY mya:0
		% xclock

	This dies with "XIO: Broken pipe"

	Similarly, I try to use the call in a simple program of:

		Display *disp;

		disp = XOpenDisplay("mya:0");

	and the program dies with the same error.

	Has anyone been able to get programs on one Sun machine to
	successfully use the display of another Sun machine. If so,
	how is it done?

wyatt@cfa.UUCP (03/13/87)

> I am running on a Sun 3, using release 3.2 of Sun's operating system.
> I am having trouble with running a program on one machine to write
> to a display on the other. We have X version 10, release 4.
[...]
> 	This dies with "XIO: Broken pipe"

The X server on given host has a list of hosts that are allowed to
make connections to it. The list is in file `/etc/X?.hosts', where `?'
is a digit representing the display number (usually zero, therefore).
You can also temporarily add to this list using the `xhost' program.
Without an entry `myb' in mya's /etc/X0.hosts file, you will get the
error as reported.
--

Bill    UUCP:  {seismo|ihnp4}!harvard!talcott!cfa!wyatt
Wyatt   ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (03/14/87)

In article <8703102134.AA00474@wobegon.silvlis.com> arm@wobegon.UUCP (Alan Michels) writes:
>	Call this machine "mya"
>
>	On the other machine, call it "myb", I try to do the following
>	to run the clock remotely:
>		% setenv DISPLAY mya:0
>		% xclock
>
>	This dies with "XIO: Broken pipe"

The key is:

mya% xhost myb

Then you can say things like:

mya% rsh myb -n /usr/new/xload mya:0 &
mya% rsh myb -n /usr/new/xterm -ls -n myb mya:0 &
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277