[comp.windows.x] Gnu emacs under X.

mason@anubis.uchicago.EDU.CSNET (03/19/87)

We have just started playing around with Gnu emacs under X, and except for
one small problem, it seems to work fine.  The one problem has to do with
screen refresh (buffering?)  When you ask emacs to find a file, and it loads
it, until you actually provide some sort of keyboard input, it doesn't
redisplay the screen.  My guess would be buffering, and following that lead I
will be poking about trying to find out when gnu emacs flushes the output
queues.  Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Tony Mason
Univ. of Chicago, Dept. of C.S.
ARPA: mason@anubis.uchicago.edu
UUCP: ...ihnp4!gargoyle!mason

tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (03/20/87)

In article <8703190035.AA18533@anubis.UChicago.EDU> mason@anubis.uchicago.EDU.CSNET writes:
>We have just started playing around with Gnu emacs under X, and except for
>one small problem, it seems to work fine.  The one problem has to do with
>screen refresh (buffering?)

I don't know what is wrong, but introducing a spurious xterm process
so that the Emacs is a subprocess of xterm rather than the window
manager fixed the problem for the most part for us.  See my
recent much-flamed post on comp.unix that explains how I do this (it
also explains why, but that had no apparent effect on the flamers...).

I'm running a Sun 3, operating system release 3.0, Emacs version
18.36.9.  My guess is that the problem is an operating system bug
because Stallman couldn't reproduce it running release 3.2.  Does
anyone out there running anything other than a Sun with os release 3.0
having this problem?  Is anyone out there who is running a Sun with os
release 3.0 NOT having the problem?