[comp.windows.x] Does anybody know about X/Open's CAE?

bakken@tahoma.UUCP (02/20/87)

Information Week, January 26, 1987 notes on pages 9-10:

>   "The X/Open Group, a European consortium of large American and Eurpoean
>vendors, traveled across the Atlantic to a snowbound Uniforum to announce
>the publication of the Portability Guide, a five-volume set of specifications
>for its Common Applications Environment.
>   The Common Applications Environment (CAE), devised by the X/Open Group to
>ensure intervendor portability of applications, is a layer of software that
>runs on top of any operating system to turn its individual applications
>software interface into a generic standard interface.  It is completely
>invisible to the user.  'Worrying about the CAE would be like worrying about
>what the crankshaft of your car is made of,' says X/Open Group chairman
>Geoff Morris of ICL Ltd.
>   All members of X/Open Group - up to 11 members since AT&T joined last week-
>are committed to bringing to market a version of the CAE for their Unix
>operating systems by the third quarter.  Member and nonmember software
>developers are also tailoring their applications software to run on top of
>the CAE.
>   Morris believes it is unlikely that vendors will adapt the CAE to their
>proprietary operating systems; its primary vehicle will be Unix, therre it
>will be a way to deliver on the promise of Unix as a vendor-independent
>environment."

Where can I get more information about this?  Has anybody else heard anything
about this (sorry, I missed Uniforum and requests for information from AT&T
and Apollo have not bore fruit)?  Any information about this will be
greatly appreciated, since we are developing Unix windowing applications
and are looking at X-Windows when V11 hits the streets.  Thanks in advance. :-)

Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company
Flight Simulation Lab
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!bakken
(206) 237-5980

My views are my own, not my employer's.  Don't let them deter you from
buying the 747 you've been saving hard for.

brunner@sri-spam.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <135@tahoma.ARPA> bakken@tahoma.ARPA (Dave Bakken) writes:
<what appears to be a press release quoting Geoff Morris (ICL), deleted>

>Where can I get more information about this?  Has anybody else heard anything
>about this (sorry, I missed Uniforum and requests for information from AT&T
>and Apollo have not bore fruit)?  Any information about this will be
>greatly appreciated, since we are developing Unix windowing applications
>and are looking at X-Windows when V11 hits the streets.  Thanks in advance. :-)
>
>Dave Bakken
>uw-beaver!ssc-vax!shuksan!tahoma!bakken

The Group started out as the "BISON" group, composed of Bull, ICL, Siemens,
Olivetti, and Nixdorf. For a while they were the "Open Unix Club", but AT&T
took offense to the second four letter word...
In August of 1985 I began work on what was published as the "X/OPEN Common
Applications Environment", the work took me all of a year. The CAE has been
read by other major vendors since, and I am some what proud to say, found
to be a good bit of work. If you think otherwise, please let me know why.

The portion(s) which might be of interest of readers of this list, aside
from the specifications of system entry points, libraries, file formats,
devices and the like were not established when the first edition went to
press. I will be reviewing the second edition, as well as the second edition
of Doug Kevorkian's work (aka "The System V Interface Definition"), and
the latest P1003 draft in the "Internationalization" session of next June's
USENIX. If you really are interested I urge you to attend as I am putting
considerable effort into this paper and talk.

/teb
--
how about a great big spidery "X"?