Does the Mac do windows?  X style?
Any software in existance?  vaporware?
In development?

	Sunny
--
Sunny Kirsten
POB 459
Forest Knolls, CA 94933
USENET:	{sun,ptsfa,well,lll-crg,ihnp4,ucsfcgl,nsc,frog}!hoptoad!sunny

c60a-3eb@tart7.UUCP (03/12/87)

> Does the Mac do windows? X style?

	Yes.  Apple has ported X to their version of UNIX(tm) which
is called A/UX(tm).  A/UX will be released later this year.

				--- Bob Heiney
				    c60a-3eb@lemon.Berkeley.Edu

huxham@apple.UUCP (Fred Huxham) (03/18/87)

U.C. Berkeley has ported X-Windows to run under A/UX.

Fred

rw@beatnix.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <537@apple.UUCP> huxham@apple.UUCP (Fred Huxham) writes:
>U.C. Berkeley has ported X-Windows to run under A/UX.
>Fred

   But is anyone porting X-Windows to run under the Mac O/S?  It would seem
that the Mac in its various incarnations is perfectly powerful enough to be
a display server without need of the overhead (and hardware cost) of
running Unix.

Russell Williams
..{ucbvax!sun,lll-lcc!styx,altos86,bridge2}!elxsi!rw

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <315@elxsi.UUCP>, rw@beatnix.UUCP (Russell Williams) writes:
>    But is anyone porting X-Windows to run under the Mac O/S?

X windows requires the ability to make a local socket connection.
The AppleTalk design inexplicably excludes this concept.

It also requires multi-tasking.  You can fake a background server
with a series of clever hacks (as did Mac/IP) but this is a lot of
work and probably not worth the effort.
--
	Joel West
	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww	(ihnp4!gould9!joel once I fix news)

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/26/87)

    X windows requires the ability to make a local socket connection.
    The AppleTalk design inexplicably excludes this concept.

    It also requires multi-tasking.  You can fake a background server
    with a series of clever hacks (as did Mac/IP) but this is a lot of
    work and probably not worth the effort.

My belief is that there are people who think they know how to solve
this problem "the right way".  One easy way of solving it is to
run the "front end" of the server on some other machine, and treat
the Mac as an intelligent device, and define your own protocol
and encoding for the single serial or AppleTalk connection to it.

omh@nancy.UUCP (03/29/87)

According to an Apple spokesperson at a BCS demo of the SE and Mac II,
X Windows was running on a Mac II during the demo that introduced the II
(was it called AppleWorld?).  Of course, there was no indication of its
shipping date or any other info.
Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
omh%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net-relay.ARPA
{ihnp4,allegra}!brunix!omh

zben@umd5.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <2901@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:

> X windows requires the ability to make a local socket connection.
> The AppleTalk design inexplicably excludes this concept.

One probably does not want the data for a local socket connection to go
onto the network and back in the same host, so in any case one wants to
short-circuit local socket connections.  Is this a complaint that the
Macintosh AppleTalk driver does not provide a convenience feature?

The usual response to such a restriction is to erect a superstructure to
short-circuit local data and pass the non-local data to the real driver...
--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland UniSys 1100/92