[comp.windows.x] V11 in-memory graphics

eddie.caplan@H.CS.CMU.EDU.UUCP (04/11/87)

V11 permits graphics to be done directly to Pixmaps, etc.  My question
is about how this is implemented.  It seems to me that in-memory
graphic routines do not need to make the expensive calls to the
server.  One way this could be implemented is to have a
device-dependent runtime library for in-memory graphics linked into
the client's program if the client chooses.

I believe that this effiency issue is important, especially for those
of us who want to (and can) create complex images in memory and then
simply BLT them onscreen.

black@masscomp.UUCP (Sam Black) (04/13/87)

In article <1987.4.11.13.31.21.eddie.caplan@h.cs.cmu.edu> eddie.caplan@H.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>V11 permits graphics to be done directly to Pixmaps, etc.  My question
>is about how this is implemented.  It seems to me that in-memory
>graphic routines do not need to make the expensive calls to the
>server.  One way this could be implemented is to have a
>device-dependent runtime library for in-memory graphics linked into
>the client's program if the client chooses.

One of the main reasons I see in having the server do PIXMAP drawing
is the sharing of resources.  Another is to avoid large executables
and relinking for different devices (assuming a different library for
each PIXMAP depth or device).  It allows devices with off-screen
memory to utilize their capabilities even for PIXMAPs.  Finally, it
provides a consistent interface for all drawing.

>I believe that this effiency issue is important, especially for those
>of us who want to (and can) create complex images in memory and then
>simply BLT them onscreen.

X11 does not prohibit this; you can use PutImage to do just what you
want.  Remember, just because the capability is there doesn't mean you
have to use it.

There are only two kinds of planes in the world:
Fighters and targets.
			- 1Lt. Steven Brown, 63 TFTS

	...!{decvax,allegra,harvard,seismo}!masscomp!black