[comp.windows.x] Sun server using shared memory?

mlandau@diamond.bbn.com.UUCP (04/19/87)

Has anyone modified the Sun X.V10R4 server to use the new shared memory
facilities available in SunOS 3.2 and above for connections to the local
server?  Does/would this lead to serious performance improvements?

On a wholly unrelated note, (men)uwm seems not to have some problems when
dealing with the right-hand edge of Sun screens - when you're selecting a
window to apply some operation to, the window manager ignores selections
in the rightmost 2 or 3 inchses if the screen.  I don't recall seeing a
fix to this posted.  Is it a known bug, or am I the only one who's seen it?
--
 Matt Landau			    "Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@diamond.bbn.com	     in all this blood and thunder..."

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (04/20/87)

>Has anyone modified the Sun X.V10R4 server to use the new shared memory
>facilities available in SunOS 3.2 and above for connections to the local
>server?

Before somebody runs off to do this, note:

	1) The shared memory facilities are a system generation
	option, just as they are in vanilla S5R2 distributions;
	"machine Y is running SunOS 3.2" does not imply "machine Y
	will support the S5 shared memory calls".

	2) In the current implementation, shared memory pages are
	wired down.  (The phrase "current" is significant; see the
	paper "Virtual Memory Architecture in SunOS" at the upcoming
	USENIX for information on potential bases for future
	implementations, as well as for different shared memory
	facilities.)

>Does/would this lead to serious performance improvements?

That would depend, in part, on what scheme you use for obtaining
exclusive access to data structures in shared memory.  It would be an
interesting experiment, but I'm not about to place bets on the
result.  (Note also that Ultrix also supports the S5 shared memory
stuff.

gancarz@decvax.UUCP (Mike Gancarz) (04/21/87)

In article <> mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) writes:

>On a wholly unrelated note, (men)uwm seems not to have some problems when
>dealing with the right-hand edge of Sun screens - when you're selecting a
>window to apply some operation to, the window manager ignores selections
>in the rightmost 2 or 3 inchses if the screen.  I don't recall seeing a
>fix to this posted.  Is it a known bug, or am I the only one who's seen it?

The version of uwm running on my GPX doesn't exhibit this problem.  Since
I regularly keep my icons on the rightmost side of the screen, this one
would have shown up long ago.  Can someone verify whether this is a
problem under menuwm?

--Mike