[comp.windows.x] CORE or GKS support in X?

den@tropix.UUCP (04/24/87)

	Does anyone know of (or if there are plans for) a standard
graphics package, such as CORE or GKS that sits on top of X-windows?
My only experience so far has been with SunCORE, which has been
quite nice to work with.

					Dave Nichols
					seismo!rochester!tropix!den

jg@jumbo.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <268@tropix.UUCP> den@tropix.UUCP (David E. Nichols) writes:

>	Does anyone know of (or if there are plans for) a standard
>graphics package, such as CORE or GKS that sits on top of X-windows?

Digital ships GKS on X as part of the Ultrix product.

I believe Visual Engineering may also have a GKS for X in the works or
already available.
					-Jim

yba@bacchus.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <268@tropix.UUCP> den@tropix.UUCP (David E. Nichols) writes:

>	Does anyone know of (or if there are plans for) a standard
>graphics package, such as CORE or GKS that sits on top of X-windows?
>My only experience so far has been with SunCORE, which has been
>quite nice to work with.
>
>					Dave Nichols
>					seismo!rochester!tropix!den

Project Athena has "hack ported" a CORE (part of Rubel Software's
BLOX   package)   and   adapted   a   GKS  (Visual  Engineering's
GKS/C-Chart/Prochart under Graphcap) to run  under  X.   We  have
discussed  getting  things  like  these to work with X better via
having the vendors install window system hooks (GKS  for  example
thinks  that the terminal has a fixed size and does not know what
an expose event is).  If the programmer  involved  had  given  me
leave I would post his address, but I leave that to him.

Several vendors have requested information on X11 for purposes of
making product available, but I have no announcements in hand.  I
suspect  they  are  planning  for Version 11.  If you are working
with Version 10, I believe Visual Engineering can  supply  the  X
driver for Graphcap (VE is on 1st St. in San Jose, California, if
memory  serves) which we were using.  I do not know if this works
for or is available on the SUN.  Template has picked up the  BLOX
package  and also might be able to help (they have a PHIGS we are
looking at also).

I would guess that folks like DEC and IBM  also  have  plans.   I
would be interested in seeing a summary of what you find.  I  did
want to say that such things exist.

ghemawat@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Sanjay Ghemawat) (04/25/87)

> CORE/GKS Support for X:

As far as I know, Digital has a version of their VAX/VMS GKS out
for ultrix which supports X. You will probably want to check with someone
at DEC about this.

-Sanjay Ghemawat (ghemawat@svax.cs.cornell.edu)