[comp.windows.x] the status of prang.

jkh@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (04/27/87)

Prang has died the big death. Since it belongs to DEC (it's a seed machine)
and DEC is currently waffling on whether or not they will provide support
for our seed units, its fate is up in the air.. However, all is not lost.
I made a backup of the sources just before it died for the last time, so the
contents are safe. We've just gotten back a Q5 configuration microvax (much
bigger with more disk) that was on loan, and I am getting it allocated to
my group to fill prang's shoes. Public access to the machine will be lost
(for those that came to make tapes), but we'll gain an RA81 drive, more
memory and some speed. I'll keep you posted on the details.

						Jordan Hubbard

tw@hpcea.HP.COM (Tw Cook) (04/28/87)

Now that prang has died the big one, is there any other repository
where I can get menuwm?  I've been religiously trying to ftp to prang
to get it ever since it was announced here, but I suppose it is time to
give that up.

Tw Cook			{hplabs, hpfcla}!hpcea!tw or twcook@hplabs.HP.COM
415-857-4916		HP Corporate Engineering - Palo Alto, CA

tw@hpcea.HP.COM (Tw Cook) (04/30/87)

I now have a copy of menuwm; thanks very much to all the people who
responded!

--

dsn@mimsy.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (04/30/87)

He later writes:
>I now have a copy of menuwm; thanks very much to all the people who
>responded!

This doesn't help the rest of us who were also trying unsuccessfully to get
menuwm from prang.  Could Cook (or one of the people who respnoded to him)
please let us know of another machine where it's available?

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (05/01/87)

Is anybody inside DEC watching this discussion?  Does DEC's local
Field Service in Berkeley (or at whatever level the decisions are
being made) know how incredibly widely their problems are being
exposed?  And how many people are being inconvenienced?  And how many
bad impressions are being made about DEC's otherwise-pretty-good Field
Service organization, or about DEC's educational relationship policy
makers?  Particularly among people who are in positions to influence
purchasing decisions about lots and lots of hardware in universities?

Just wondering...
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cb{osgd,att}!osu-eddie!bob
 (614)292-7348 (office) or -0915 (operators) or -7325 (answering machine)

tw@hpcea.HP.COM (Tw Cook) (05/01/87)

>This doesn't help the rest of us who were also trying unsuccessfully to get
>menuwm from prang.  Could Cook (or one of the people who respnoded to him)
>please let us know of another machine where it's available?

Sorry about that; I should have mentioned this before.  I got it via
anonymous ftp from v.sei.cmu.edu (128.2.237.22).  I hope they don't mind
my broadcasting this information.   Don't forget that you'll need to
grab XMenu also (unless you already have the fix that keeps menus from
hanging off the edge of the screen).
--

wong@rtech.UUCP (J. Wong) (05/02/87)

In article <530002@hpcea.HP.COM> tw@hpcea.HP.COM (Tw Cook) writes:
>I now have a copy of menuwm; thanks very much to all the people who
>responded!
>
>--
>Tw Cook			{hplabs, hpfcla}!hpcea!tw or twcook@hplabs.HP.COM

Could I obtain a copy, too, please?
--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again.		- David Byrne

mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) (05/02/87)

Given the level of interest, I have made menuwm (plus some local fixes)
available via anonymous ftp from diamond.bbn.com (128.89.0.32).  Log in
as "ftp" with any password and cd to ~ftp/X.  The menuwm sources are in
five shar files named Menuwm0[1-5].

Please pass any bug reports or fixes back to me.
--
 Matt Landau			    "Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@diamond.bbn.com	     in all this blood and thunder..."

steven@pearl.berkeley.edu (Stephen the Greatest) (05/04/87)

I subscribed to this newsgroup not long ago, and I have been hearing
people talking about 'prang'??? What is it?  How did it 'bite the big
one'?  Any form of enlightment is appreciated.
Thanx.
					- Stephen Chung