[comp.windows.x] X.V10R4 fixes for Sun 3/110 wanted

mlandau@diamond.bbn.com.UUCP (05/01/87)

I know this subject has already been covered once, but I must have
been catatonic at the time or something, because I failed to save
the relevant articles.  Could someone mail me (a pointer to) the
changes necessary to make X.V10R4 work in color on a Sun 3/110?

Thanks much.
--
 Matt Landau			    "Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@diamond.bbn.com	     in all this blood and thunder..."

mlandau@diamond.bbn.com.UUCP (05/05/87)

Enough people asked me to pass on anything I might learn that I think
it's reasonable to post the most informative answers.  As many people
pointed out, X assumes certain semantics for mem_batchrop that aren't
provided by the pixrect implementation on Suns, and that cannot be
faked as easily on a 3/110C as on a 3/160C.

I did receive two replies claiming to have fixed X.V10R4 for true color
operation on the 3/110C.  There are reproduced below; I hope neither of
the principles or organizations involved minds my reposting them.

Hopefully we'll either see Jim Mayer's changes posted soon, or Sun will
allow Bob Searfus to distribute his fixes.

=- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
=
= Date: Fri, 1 May 87 13:07:50 EDT
= From: seismo!rochester!rocksanne!mayer@harvard.harvard.edu (Jim Mayer)
= To: mlandau@diamond.bbn.com@husc6.harvard.edu
= Subject: Re: X.V10R4 fixes for Sun 3/110 wanted
=
= None of the changes posted to the net really do the trick.  The real probem
= (which was mentioned by Dave DiGiacomo of SUN) is an incompatability between
= what X wants and what the SUN pixrect library provides.  The SUN port
= includes a modified version of one of the PIXRECT routines that, unfortunately,
= makes use of the 3/160's raster op chip.
=
= I spend the last few weeks getting X up on our 3/110s and will be posting
= the rather extensive changes (necessary changes and other bug fixes) to
= the net within a week or so.
=
= I don't know of anyone else with a truely functional X on the 3/110 box.
=
= Good luck...
=
= -- Jim
=
= (Grapevine) mayer.wbst			(Arpa) mayer.wbst@Xerox.com
= (NS) mayer:wbst128:xerox		(Phone) (716) 422-2496
= (UUCP) rochester!rocksanne!mayer
=
=- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
=
= Date: Sat, 2 May 87 12:18:48 PDT
= From: rms@lll-prefect.arpa (Robert M. Searfus)
= To: mlandau
=
= With the help of one David DiGiacomo at Sun, the 3/110 can run color
= text applications.  Some modifications to memory based rasterops and
= cursor support were necesarry to get things off the ground.  I also
= fixed a couple bugs in the process.
=
= I will be sending the modified libsun to Sun for distribution (since
= it does contain proprietary code).  If they wish to release the modified
= sources (I should know fairly soon), then I will also make them available
= for public ftp (or mail for those without ftp).
=
= In any case, I will keep you posted.
=
= (bob) Robert M. Searfus
=       Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
=