[comp.windows.x] Bug in XTTY?

egc@h.cs.cmu.edu (eddie caplan) (05/04/87)

NOTE: V.10R4

has anyone out there gotten the XTTY package to work for a microvax?
in the release we have the spawned 'xterm' doesn't even parse the
command line switches correctly.  (from my perusal of the code, it
looks like there needs to be changes to both the XTTY library and the
xterm code).

eddie caplan
caplan@h.cs.cmu.edu (via seismo)

pjs@uw-june.UUCP (Philip J. Schneider) (05/05/87)

In article <1058@h.cs.cmu.edu> egc@h.cs.cmu.edu (eddie caplan) writes:
>NOTE: V.10R4
>
>has anyone out there gotten the XTTY package to work for a microvax?
>in the release we have the spawned 'xterm' doesn't even parse the
>command line switches correctly.  (from my perusal of the code, it
>looks like there needs to be changes to both the XTTY library and the
>xterm code).
>
>eddie caplan
>caplan@h.cs.cmu.edu (via seismo)

I have wondered about this myself.  I found an xterm on prang a while back
that parsed the command line (the others didn't know about the flag
designating the pty #), but I was never able to get input or output
from it. (We have Release 3).  The "standard" xterms seem to be totally
ignorant of the XTTY stuff, forcing me to play "character manager" to
get text i/o from/to windows.  Anybody have any ideas besides "It'll be
fixed in Version 11."?

In fact, has ANYBODY got XTTY to work on a microvax (or any ideas why it
might not work as is)?

Thanks.

sundar@HERMES.AI.MIT.EDU.UUCP (05/05/87)

   Date: 4 May 87 17:35:51 GMT
   From: h.cs.cmu.edu!egc@pt.cs.cmu.edu  (eddie caplan)
   Sender: xpert-request@athena.mit.edu

   NOTE: V.10R4

   has anyone out there gotten the XTTY package to work for a microvax?
   in the release we have the spawned 'xterm' doesn't even parse the
   command line switches correctly.  (from my perusal of the code, it
   looks like there needs to be changes to both the XTTY library and the
   xterm code).

   eddie caplan
   caplan@h.cs.cmu.edu (via seismo)

Yes, you are right. You have to make a few changes to the vanilla
distribution xtty and xterm to get the slave mode to work right. Also
the xtty library creates its window separately, so if you have
an application that wants to run terminal emulators in a sub window,
you have to make mods (actually an addition) to Xlib and xterm.

Since we use edmoy's xterm, I have twice sent xterm fixes+additions to
edmoy who is taking care of xterm's distribution. Regarding the Xlib
and Xtty mods, I can make the V10R4 mods (which I've checked on the
Suns, but nowhere else) available to people in athena, if anybody
wants it.

-Sundar

asente@figaro.UUCP (05/05/87)

When xterm got changed, Xtty no longer worked.  I sent out fixes for this
last winter; I can mail diff files to anyone who wants them.  The changes
to xterm have, I believe, been incorporated into the latest and greatest
version.  I don't know about the Xtty changes.

	-paul asente
	    asente@cascade.stanford.edu     ...decwrl!labrea!cascade!asente