[comp.windows.x] Xsun problems

Ralph.Hyre@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU.UUCP (05/14/87)

I too would like to run X and Suntools under overview, but I can't seem to get
it to work.  I've tried sun2 and sun3 keyboards to no avail as well as
compiling without RAW_KBD defined, L2 seems to always send a character code
to the server rather than suspsending it.  Have I overlooked something
obvious, like keymap settings?

Since prang is dead, I checked zap, but they X10R4 stuff is dated
december 24, before the January message describing the X/SunView/overview
integration.  I also checked diamond.bbn.com, and v.sei.cmu.edu.
No mods to Xsun anywhere.

I'd appreciate a pointer to the Xsun sources which support switching
back and forth using overview.  Perhaps they could be stuffed into the
pub/contrib directory on zap. Thank you.

					- Ralph Hyre (ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu)

mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) (05/16/87)

In comp.windows.x (article-id <548001472.ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu>),
Ralph.Hyre@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU writes:

>I too would like to run X and Suntools under overview, but I can't seem to get
>it to work.  I've tried sun2 and sun3 keyboards to no avail as well as
>compiling without RAW_KBD defined, L2 seems to always send a character code
>to the server rather than suspsending it.  Have I overlooked something
>obvious, like keymap settings?

I've also tried to do this, and learned that you need to define *both*
RAW_KBD and SUNTOOLS for Xsun to try to suspend itself in response to
Meta-L2.  However, when I did this, the keyboard mapping seemed totally
broken; i.e., although Meta-L2 *did* suspend X inside overview, nothing
else worked because the keyboard sent garbage.  I never got around to
looking at this any further, since my attention has shifted to the X11
alpha release.  I should also mention that I was using the Xsun sources
from prang, and not the original MIT version.
--
 Matt Landau			    "Waiting for a flash of enlightenment
 mlandau@diamond.bbn.com	     in all this blood and thunder..."