[comp.windows.x] A few X goodies

mrose@GREMLIN.NRTC.NORTHROP.COM.UUCP (05/16/87)

[second time I've tried to post this...]

    Hi.  On host gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com [128.99.0.17], there's a file
    called portal/xstuff.tar available via anonymous ftp that has a few
    things for X 10.4 that you might be interested in.

-   modifications to xdvi to support Tim Morgan's tpic \special's for
    TeX (actually Tim did all the work, I just finished a few minor
    things).  Tpic is "pic for TeX" where you can draw pictures and
    include them in your TeX documents.  If you know what I'm talking
    about, fine.  If not, forget it!

-   a program that takes an X bitmap or window dump and converts it into a
    tpic output file for TeX.  This goes with the xdvi modifications above.

-   an image server for X.  The idea here is that when you read your
    mail, MH consults a database and puts up the face (image) of the
    message's sender.  It's inspired by the one Pike talked about at
    Usenix a couple of years back, though it's not as elegant.  This package
    also includes "xwho" which is like rwho but with faces instead of
    names.  The only catch is that you need to be running ISODE in order
    to use the image service.  The reason:  the image server supports
    multiple bitmap formats and I didn't want to write several bitmap to
    bytestream and back again routines.  All of this comes for free in
    ISODE, so there you have it.  If you haven't heard of ISODE, drop a
    note to Bug-ISODE@NRTC and ask for info.

-   a useto program for X.  Useto is like sysline but is integrated with
    mail, rwho, etc.  It's really nice I think.

-   a program to set the titlebar of an xterm (e.g., when you do cd's)

-   a program to popup little status messages on the bottom of your
    display.  For example, I have a shell script that does

	imstat | xadvise

    This queries the laser printer for its status and then slaps up a
    window to tell me about it, 30 seconds later the window goes away.

-  a program to print X window dumps on an Imagen laser printer.  Also
   "xipr" a shell script which is to Imagens what "xdpr" is to LN03's.

Anyway, have fun.

/mtr

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (05/19/87)

In article <6623.547776172@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> mrose@GREMLIN.NRTC.NORTHROP.COM (Marshall Rose) writes:

>    Hi.  On host gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com [128.99.0.17], there's a file
>    called portal/xstuff.tar available via anonymous ftp that has a few
>    things for X 10.4 that you might be interested in.
	.
	.
>-  a program to print X window dumps on an Imagen laser printer.  Also
>   "xipr" a shell script which is to Imagens what "xdpr" is to LN03's.

I got a copy of this program, bitimp, and compiled and ran it on a
MicroVAX-II running XV10.4 under 4.3 BSD.  I noticed some weirdness
and bit corruption, which seems to be caused by a call to SwapShorts()
to byteswap the bitmap.

Once I removed this, things work just fine.  Is there something going on
here that I'm not aware of?

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming