[net.news] Three

robert1 (10/12/82)

	Dear notesfile users and usenet system administrators:

	I have been observing three problems resulting in duplicate message
traffic:

	(1) I have heard of the (nf) duplicate note generation problem,
	and thought that a fix had been announced; if this is true, someone
	is not playing with the updated version, since we still have duplicate
	messages being generated

	(2) multiple/redundant paths of message forwarding
	(possibly a holdover from earlier routing fixes to avoid some
	previous site outages???).

	(3) duplicate newsgroups have been created, apparently from a
	problem in submitting to groups with long (incorrectly truncated?)
	names.

I believe that this info is accurate - I took a short vacation, and
my accumulated mail has these properties.  Examples follow for the
first two problems, I think that the latter bug has been noted and is
under repair (?yes?).

	Would the involved parties please take a look at these
problems and figure out a solution?  Thanks in advance (but
hopefully not *too* far in advance).

	not afraid to sign my name,

	not afraid to sign my name,

	not afraid to sign my name,

	not afraid to sign my name,

			Robert Duncan
			Bell Labs, Chicago
			ihuxx!robert1

-----DUPLICATE MESSAGE #1-----
From: ihps3!houxi!npois!npoiv!alice!physics!gill
Date: Thu Oct  7 17:33:23 1982
Subject: Re: question on 2-wire phone connections - (nf)
Newsgroups: net.dcom

#R:mh3bs:-18500:physics:15700002:000:422
physics!gill    Aug 31 20:31:00 1982

-----DUPLICATE MESSAGE #2-----

From: ihps3!houxi!npois!npoiv!alice!physics!gill
Date: Thu Oct  7 18:04:16 1982
Newsgroups: net.dcom

-----

-----REDUNDANT ROUTE #1-----
From: ihps3!ihldt!ll1!otuxa!we13!lime!orion!deimos!ariel!vax135!floyd!harpo!npoiv!alice!physics!gill
Date: Thu Oct  7 18:32:31 1982
Newsgroups: net.dcom

-----REDUNDANT ROUTE #2-----

From: ihps3!ihldt!ll1!otuxa!we13!lime!houti!ariel!vax135!floyd!harpo!npoiv!alice!physics!gill
Date: Thu Oct  7 19:32:15 1982
Newsgroups: net.dcom

#R:mh3bs:-18500:physics:15700002:000:422
physics!gill    Aug 31 20:31:00 1982

As explained in a recent fa.telcom, some touch tone phones have
bridge rectifiers on their line inputs. The other possibility is
that your phone did indeed get zapped, but was wired differently
than the replacement. This is very unlikely. The classic touch tone
syptoms of reversed polarity is a slight click and perhaps a little
"squeek" tone instead of the usual prolonged blast.

	Gill Pratt

	...alice!gill OR gill@mc

-----