[comp.windows.x] source to X-windows for the SUN

kasper@arcsun.UUCP (05/28/87)

I believe the question that I am about to ask has been asked at
least a thousand times in the past. Non with as much furor as
this one because this is the thousandth and first time.

Where and how does one go about getting the source for X-windows
for a SUN workstation? We have a 3/160C, 3/50M and 3/140M; Does this
imply different binaries for each of the machine types?

Once the question of availability has been answered what are the
restrictions on distribution? Is it required that I have a source
license, be an academic institution, ...?

Richard Kasperski
Alberta Research Council
Calgary, Alberta
kasper%arcsun.uucp%ubc.csnet@relay.cs.net

Two weeks of news in a news group you never read is either too much or
                                                         too little!

bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/28/87)

In article <235@arcsun.UUCP> kasper@arcsun.UUCP (Richard Kasperski) writes:

>Where and how does one go about getting the source for X-windows for
>a SUN workstation?

We got our sources via anonymous FTP from zap.mit.edu (18.72.0.126).
I don't know of anybody doing UUCP distributions like we do with the
GNU stuff.  You might write to the following address (pasted from the
README):	MIT / Project Athena
		Cambridge, Mass. 02139
to ask about having a tape cut for you, though I don't know about
their distribution scheme.

>We have a 3/160C, 3/50M and 3/140M; Does this imply different
>binaries for each of the machine types?

We run the same binaries on a 3/50 and a 3/160C.  I don't know about
the 3/140 because we don't have any.

>Once the question of availability has been answered what are the
>restrictions on distribution? Is it required that I have a source
>license, be an academic institution, ...?

If you can get to the sources anonymously across the Internet, how can
any license restrictions be enforced?
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@ohio-state.{arpa,csnet} or ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!bob
 soon: bob@aargh.cis.ohio-state.edu