[comp.windows.x] Xterm in 4010/4014 mode

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (06/15/87)

I have an intergrated Solutions machine (68020 CPU) running X windows.
I am not very good at using X and could really use that tutorial if
anyone has one.  But, on to my question.  I know I can get into
4010/4014 emulation mode by invoking xterm with the -t flag.  That
works fine.  But can I get a crosshair cursor such as I get on a true
4010 emulator (or 4010)?  If I can, how do I move it about?  I tried
using the xterm window with a program which uses the cursor and nothing
seemed to happen when the crosshair should have come on.  Am I doing
something wrong or is this too advanced for X?
--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.as.utexas.edu

edmoy@opal.berkeley.edu (06/16/87)

In article <1907@utastro.UUCP> anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
>I know I can get into
>4010/4014 emulation mode by invoking xterm with the -t flag.  That
>works fine.  But can I get a crosshair cursor such as I get on a true
>4010 emulator (or 4010)?  If I can, how do I move it about?  I tried
>using the xterm window with a program which uses the cursor and nothing
>seemed to happen when the crosshair should have come on.  Am I doing
>something wrong or is this too advanced for X?

If you are running version 6.6* of xterm (which comes with X10 R4), then
yes it does work.  In all version 6's of xterm (and X10 R3), the cursor
changes into a cross, so you use the mouse to position the crosshair.  Typing
a key does the same thing as on a real Tek, and pressing one of the mouse
buttons is like pressing the keys "r", "m" or "l" for the right, middle and
left buttons, respectively (shift button gets the upper case letters).  If
You are using 8 data bits, the high bit is set to distinquish the buttons from
the real keys.

So it was working when I submited xterm for inclusion into X10 R4.  Then
I start getting complaints that the cursor was disappearing in GIN mode.
What little time I had to look into it didn't uncover any problem, the
code looked right.  Anyways, I looked at it again and it still looked right.
I finally looked elsewhere and there it was!  In the cursors directory
where xterm gets the cross, tcross.cursor was fine, but tcross_mask.cursor
had been inverted!!!!  So of course the cursor disappeared.

It is an easy matter to fix:

	% bitmap cursors/tcross_mask.cursor

Hit the "Invert All" button and save.  Recompile xterm (misc.c includes
../cursors/tcross_mask.cursor) and BINGO, it works!

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720