[comp.windows.x] X for Morons

MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) (05/31/87)

I compiled X for our Suns three minutes ago, but I don't
know what to do with it now - the Sun just stares at me
with its big black face disfigured by a large X, insensible
to all buttons, prayers, threats, keyboards, etc. (*)

Does anybody have (on paper, m/c readable or in any other
form) a tutorial, an introduction to X, or anything which
gives help to an absolute beginner?  In other words, is
there a real world analogue of "X for Morons - How Even YOU
Can Get Started"?

Thanks,

Niall

(*) this is actually a lie - some nice person at
    Xpert-Request caught my initial request and got me
    moving a bit, but any tutorial-type stuff would still be
    most useful, especially for any other users we might
    accumulate.

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (06/02/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.36.2 of Mon Feb 23 1987 on laurel (berkeley-unix)

In article <8705311602.AA23124@ATHENA> MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) writes:
>   I compiled X for our Suns three minutes ago, but I don't
>   know what to do with it now - the Sun just stares at me
>   with its big black face disfigured by a large X, insensible
>   to all buttons, prayers, threats, keyboards, etc. (*)
>
>   Does anybody have (on paper, m/c readable or in any other
>   form) a tutorial, an introduction to X, or anything which
>   gives help to an absolute beginner?  In other words, is
>   there a real world analogue of "X for Morons - How Even YOU
>   Can Get Started"?

This is a good question. I myself have no need for such a document, but
everytime someone wants to try out X I end up spending 15 to 30 minutes
just getting them started. Wouldn't it be nice if I could just hand
them a document? If there is such a document, please tell me, too.

		---Bob Amstadt

		bob@wiley.uucp
		{csvax.caltech.edu,trwrb.uucp}!wiley!bob

len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (06/08/87)

In article <727@laurel.UUCP> bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) writes:
>In article <8705311602.AA23124@ATHENA> MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) writes:
>>							is
>>   there a real world analogue of "X for Morons - How Even YOU
>>   Can Get Started"?
>
> If there is such a document, please tell me, too.

This is of general interest. I hope the answer will be posted and
not merely mailed to Bob and Niall.

Leonard Vanek
Array Systems Computing
5000 Dufferin St.
Suite 200
Downsview, Ontario

UUCP : ..mnetor!dciem!array!len

bob@wiley.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <499@array.UUCP> len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) writes:
> In article <727@laurel.UUCP> bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) writes:
> >In article <8705311602.AA23124@ATHENA> MANSFIEL@EMBL.BITNET (Niall Mansfield) writes:
> >>							is
> >>   there a real world analogue of "X for Morons - How Even YOU
> >>   Can Get Started"?
> >
> > If there is such a document, please tell me, too.
>
> This is of general interest. I hope the answer will be posted and
> not merely mailed to Bob and Niall.

I'll testify to this. Since I posted my article, I have received a
couple of letters each day asking for me to forward anything I receive.
Unfortunately no one has responded saying that they have such a document.
My guess is that one doesn't exist. Let's face it. Up until now only
hackers have been using X. Hackers don't write tutorials, although I would
be very happy to be wrong about this.

This is my challenge: Prove me wrong. Show me a tutorial for X.

		---Bob Amstadt

		bob@wiley.uucp
		{csvax.caltech.edu,trwrb.uucp}!wiley!bob

ken@rochester.UUCP (06/14/87)

There was an X tutorial that came with Xray, the toolkit HP donated to
the world. Unfortunately it doesn't format with -ms or -me.  It seems
to use in-house macros. Would HP consider releasing the macros or
releasing documentation that uses standard macros? I, for one, would be
grateful to have something I can point novice users to, instead of
having to tell them to ask an experienced X user.

	Ken

ken@hpcvlo.UUCP (06/15/87)

> There was an X tutorial that came with Xray, the toolkit HP donated to
> the world. Unfortunately it doesn't format with -ms or -me.  It seems
> to use in-house macros. Would HP consider releasing the macros or
> releasing documentation that uses standard macros? I, for one, would be
> grateful to have something I can point novice users to, instead of
> having to tell them to ask an experienced X user.
>
> Ken

The 'Tutorial' you refer to is formated with -mm macros.  Admitedly
not a BSD standard, but a memorandum macros are a BELL standard.  MIT
shipped the printed documentation along with their tape if you bought
it from MIT.

The documentation is hardly an X tutorial.  There is an initial
overview section that has a sample hello world program.  This was
intended to allow people an initial success without tons of detail.
The following sections are essentially an Xray manual.  This is not
what anyone wants if the need to understand an X feature.  I assure
you that if HP had an X tutorial that we would have an easy way of
providing it to not only you but all our customers.

I would also suggest that an X tutorial effort would perhaps better be
expended on Xv11 when such a beast is available.

		-Ken "just another X hacker" Bronstein
		 {hplabs}!hp-pcd!ken
		 Corvallis, Oregon

daveb@geac.UUCP (Dave Brown) (06/16/87)

In article <342@sol.ARPA> ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) writes:
>There was an X tutorial that came with Xray, the toolkit HP donated to
>the world. Unfortunately it doesn't format with -ms or -me.

If it is non-proprietery, mail it to me and I'll cause it to reappear
in TeX.  Specify, please, if posting it or mailing it is desirable.

 --dave (Need something? Volunteer to sweat!)  brown

dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (06/16/87)

> > > If there is such a document, please tell me, too.
> >
> > This is of general interest. I hope the answer will be posted and
> > not merely mailed to Bob and Niall.
>
> I'll testify to this. Since I posted my article, I have received a
> couple of letters each day asking for me to forward anything I receive.
> Unfortunately no one has responded saying that they have such a document.
> My guess is that one doesn't exist. Let's face it. Up until now only
> hackers have been using X. Hackers don't write tutorials, although I would
> be very happy to be wrong about this.
>
> This is my challenge: Prove me wrong. Show me a tutorial for X.
>
> 		---Bob Amstadt

I'll try, although I don't know if this is what you want.  I have,
sitting on my desk next to my monitor, two (2) manuals from
Hewlett-Packard entitled "Programming With the X Window System" and
"Getting Started With the X Window System".  Their part numbers are
82320-90001 and 82320-90002 respectively.  The "Getting Started"
manual is more of a user guide than a programming guide, but it is
still useful.  The programming guide contains several Hello World
programs that get more and more complicated as more functionality is
added.

I don't know if that's what you want, but it's all I got.  It's not
for the complete moron, but then programming never is.

Darren Leigh
dleigh@hplabs.hp.com

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (06/19/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.36.2 of Mon Feb 23 1987 on alvin (berkeley-unix)

In article <781@geac.UUCP> daveb@geac.UUCP (Dave Brown) writes:
> In article <342@sol.ARPA> ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) writes:
> >There was an X tutorial that came with Xray, the toolkit HP donated to
> >the world. Unfortunately it doesn't format with -ms or -me.
>
> If it is non-proprietery, mail it to me and I'll cause it to reappear
> in TeX.  Specify, please, if posting it or mailing it is desirable.
>
>  --dave (Need something? Volunteer to sweat!)  brown

With the large number of cries for documentation that I've seen, i
would suggest posting the result to the net. Otherwise you will
be swamped with requests to mail it out. We wouldn't want to wear
out your mailer, now would we?