[comp.windows.x] Fast Screen Updates

mcguffey@unc.cs.unc.edu (Michael McGuffey) (06/17/87)

  Is there a way that I can load about 40MBytes of 8-bit medical images,
randomly pick one to display, and have it come up on the screen in 2-5 seconds?

  The images are full screen images and currently take 20-40 seconds on a GPX.
I don't think the time is spent in paging but rather in sending the image
down the socket from the application to the X server.  Is this a correct
assumption?  I also thought about puting the images in offscreen memory somehow
and doing a fast BLT to the screen (I've seen some image display programs do
this), but 1 image is all I could probably fit offscreen.

  MAIN POINT OF THIS POSTING:
	Am I unaware of some X routine that does nice things like this?

--mike
mcguffey@dopey.cs.unc.edu
mcguffey@unc.csnet

mechcrm@tness1.UUCP (06/19/87)

Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: Fast Screen Updates

I am also interested in using X for the display of medical images, and I, too
would appreciate any information anybody out there has about this.  I
currently do not have a GPX - only a uVaxII.  However, we intend to get a
GPX in the near future.  At that time, we would like to be able to display
8-bit binary pictures, 512x512, with some speed.  Anybody out there do this
right now?  And if so, how fast is it for you?

Also, we would like to find out about getting X.V10R4, and the X Toolkit,
running on a uVaxII under Ultrix.  We have ordered X.V10R3, but I was told
that the toolkit would need V10R4 to work correctly.  Anybody out there
have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

--chet--

..!ihnp4!tness1!proton!chet