[comp.windows.x] Updated X Toolkit X.V10R4 Implementation Available

ram@decvax.UUCP (06/17/87)

	WHERE:  anonymous ftp from decwrl.dec.com (128.45.0.1)
		Xtlib.tar.Z compressed (0.75 M) OR Xtlib.tar (2 M)

	WHAT:

	This package consists of an X version 10 implementation of
	the X version 11 toolkit standard
	specification.  Source code and documentation for the toolkit
	are included.  Also included are xedit (a simple text editor),
	xmh (an X based front end to the MH mail package),
	and a version of xterm all written using the toolkit.

	This release differs from the earlier (March 87) release
	in that it conforms better to the toolkit standard.
	It is also in close conformance to the X Version 11 toolkit
	to be distributed as part of the Version 11 Beta distribution
	from MIT.  Some effort has also gone towards making critical
	parts of the toolkit (e.g., resouce manager) run faster.
	Also a couple of new widgets have been contributed by
	Hewlett-Packard.

	While portability across machine architectures is a goal of
	this effort, the current implementation has been tested primarily
	on the VAX architecture.  Limited testing has been performed
	on a SUN, and several portability problems in the March release
	have been fixed.

	The xterm provided comes with a man page, but xedit and xmh
	do not have one yet.  Xmh is provided in binary form only,
	with Vax compiled objects and an executable which will run
	on Ultrix V2.0.  Xmh presupposes the existence of mh version
	6.5 or later on the system.

	We welcome suggestions, comments, bug reports (both code and
	documentation) on this package.  These
	will be considered for both the version 10 and version 11
	public implementations of the toolkit.  Please send comments
	to:

		Ram Rao
		Digital Equipment Corporation
		MK02-1/H10
		Continental Blvd.
		Merrimack, NH 03054
		ARPA: ram@decwrl.dec.com
		uucp: decvax!ram

jeff1@garfield.UUCP (06/23/87)

In article <94@decvax.UUCP> ram@.UUCP (Ram Rao) writes:
\>
\>	WHERE:  anonymous ftp from decwrl.dec.com (128.45.0.1)
\>		Xtlib.tar.Z compressed (0.75 M) OR Xtlib.tar (2 M)
\>
\>	WHAT:
\>
\>	This package consists of an X version 10 implementation of
\>	the X version 11 toolkit standard
\>	specification.  Source code and documentation for the toolkit
\>	are included.  Also included are xedit (a simple text editor),

Is there any provision for non-ARPA people to get this?  I'm about to start
a major project using X, and don't want it to be obsolete before year's end.
Any chance of getting uucp access?  Maybe on uunet, please?

--
Jeff Sparkes					Can I have it all now?
{utai,seismo,ihnp4}!garfield!jeff1

brt@homxc.UUCP (B.REYTBLAT) (06/26/87)

In article <3731@garfield.UUCP>, jeff1@garfield.UUCP writes:
> In article <94@decvax.UUCP> ram@.UUCP (Ram Rao) writes:
> \>	WHAT:
> \>
> \>	This package consists of an X version 10 implementation of
> \>	the X version 11 toolkit standard
> \>	specification.  Source code and documentation for the toolkit
> \>	are included.  Also included are xedit (a simple text editor),
>
> Is there any provision for non-ARPA people to get this?  I'm about to start
> a major project using X, and don't want it to be obsolete before year's end.
> Any chance of getting uucp access?  Maybe on uunet, please?
>

> --
> Jeff Sparkes					Can I have it all now?
> {utai,seismo,ihnp4}!garfield!jeff1
> jeff@garfield.mun.cdn	via ubc.csnet

We have a similar problem: no ftp, new project and V 11 won't be available for our HW
for months. Any hope of posting it to comp.sources.* ?

Ben Reytblat
AT&T Bell Labs
ihnp4!homxc!brt

ken@rochester.arpa (Ken Yap) (06/27/87)

Post V11 to comp.sources.*? Doubt it. The V10 distribution was around
14 Mb. Just wait for the screams from the sys admins.

I know it is discriminatory, but either get an Internet friend to snag
it for you or convince your bureaucracy to send off $100 (or was it
$150) for a tape.

	Ken