[comp.windows.x] Toolplaces for X?

km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) (07/12/87)

Suntools has a nice program called "Toolplaces" that records
the position, label, and a variety of other state for
ecah window on the desktop. Its output is suitable for the
Suntools startup file.

Is there anything like this for X?
--
Ken Mandelberg      |  gatech!emory!km               USENET
Emory University    |  km@emory                      CSNET,BITNET

soiffer@tekchips.TEK.COM (Neil Soiffer) (07/16/87)

In article <2173@emory.uucp> km@emory.uucp (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>Suntools has a nice program called "Toolplaces" that records
>the position, label, and a variety of other state for
>ecah window on the desktop. Its output is suitable for the
>Suntools startup file.
>
>Is there anything like this for X?

I modified 'xwininfo' to print out information about windows in "xterm"
format (ie, "=" and "#" are used for window and icon position respectively).
The modified version also attempts to figure out whether the window has
a title tab and scrollbar.  It is not as nice as 'toolplaces', but its alot
better than nothing.

If there is much interest (send mail to me), I will post the sources
here -- its not too big (and we don't have arpanet access).

	Neil Soiffer
	Textronix Computer Research Lab
	UUCP:  ...!tektronix!tekchips!soiffer
	ARPA:  soiffer%tekchips.tek.com@relay.cs.net